2nd day post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd day post-op

Well we made it through surgery. We are 2nd day post-op. Whew!!!!!!!!!!! Everything went great! No complications. Everyone is saying that she is doing GREAT! They are very impressed. She got up and walked down the hall this morning. The PT said that she did great. She is still in ALOT of pain though. Which they are saying is OK...She still needs alot of help ot move and turn. They are trying ot make her do it on her own, but it is not working just yet.

Now for the hard part, she blames me for all her pain......She says that I made her do this. I just do not know how to handle it. I do feel bad about it and responsible. She was not in any pain hardly before this, and now it is unbearable.

They are planning so far on us going home on friday. How will I be able to handle her and her pain????????? AGGGHHHHHHHH???????????????????

First off congratz on making it now to the 2nd day post - op xDD

I myself just got out 1 week ago on wednesday and the pain is hardly there anymore. Don't worry too much about the pain. Our doctor said that I would stop taking the pain meds in a about a week after surgery so he was fairly right on that part. By Friday, it shouldn't be as bad anymore ^^"

Comment

Make sure her pain level is well controlled before you take her home! The last thing you want is for her to be in extreme pain in the middle of the night and nothing to do about it! Once they switch her to oral pain meds, make sure you write down what she is given and when. That way, when it gets close to the time for her next dose, you can ask for it instead of waiting for a nurse to bring it once she is in pain.

My daughter went home with a week's worth of Percocet or Vicadin, sorry, I don't remember which, and I almost freaked out on the nurse. She told me to call the office when she was running low and they would prescribe something like Tylenol 3. She never finished the week's worth of meds we went home with.

Once your daughter gets up and moving more, she'll start to feel better. It sounds strange, but walking and even sitting in a chair is very good for them.

Hang in there and remember to take care of yourself.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hang in there!

Kjungrl2-- I am so glad you were able to let us know how it went--and is going. I'm sure we'd have known sooner if the site hadn't been down for so long! That's great that she's doing so well... and she'll be getting better and stronger with each passing day. I guess you'll just have to put up with the anger/resentment/flack she is hurling at you, all in the name of being a good mother. She may not realize what she "might have been" without this surgical intervention. Has she read any about the problems that can happen over the years? Or thought about how it could interrupt her life in a much bigger way later on? Probably not. I guess I'll just sympathize with you and know you may be in for a rough time. Hopefully she'll recover very quickly and her life will move on to new and better things, with a straighter back and all.

Scolithug-- you are amazing! That is a super quick recovery! I'm not sure how we missed getting you on our little calendar of events. Keep us posted on how you are doing too. And that was so nice of you to respond to this thread. What a big comfort to know how quickly another young girl is recovering!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations on being over the surgery part. Now, this recovery thing, is not easy. Remember that her body has been through the equivalent of being hit by a MACK truck. Scoliosis surgery is not a gentle surgery. Lots of manipulation and trauma to the body. That being said, she WILL get through this. And YOU will too. She blames you because you are convenient. You are safe. She can unload her frustrations (which are as much the pain meds talking as it is pain itself) because she knows you will always be there for her. Try not to take it personally (easier said than done, I know, BTDT). Keep reminding yourself that its the pain and the medication talking, not her. She loves you and NEEDS your support. Staying calm, cool and collected will help her as much as it will help you.

Talk to the docs about pain meds. There are several kinds they can choose from. See if there are two different ones they can give so you can alternate them - never going more than 3 hours without some medication in her system. This helps a lot for reducing the break through episodes.

Also, make sure they are giving her something to keep her bowels moving. If she gets constipated and has to push to empty her bowels, it can be very painful, from the inside out. That pressure pushes on the incisions and it hurts. Period. Avoiding constipation is very important.

Many scoliosis surgery patients say 3 weeks is the "turn the corner" mark. That's when they have more good days than bad, and the pain is much more easily managed. Patience is important. As long as you know her pain is being well managed and she's making good progress (baby steps every day) she's way ahead of the game and doing great. Just like they're telling her. They are also saying this to help psych her into knowing she's doing fine, pain and all. It WILL get better. Hang in there. You are doing great too.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hang Tough!

Hey now,,, you did the very totally utmost best you could do for her! She is on drugs right now, sounds like she may need more??? Impress that on the staff and doc. She'll be happy about it in a few days. Kids bounce back like doggone springs! She will thank you in the long run cause it would not have been done if she didn't need it done! Don't second guess yourself. Tomorrow she be fussing wanting a burger and fries, shake too probably! TRUST JESUS and put it on HIS big ole shoulders! Look at the bright side , Who Has A Fixed Back!! Your little girl!!
            Our Very Best To You,
            Chris and Cathy

Comment

Thanks guys! I am so glad the site is back up and working! I know in my heart that this was/is the best thing for her! It's just so dang emotinally draining. Then not sleeping does not help the situation.
              They are rotating her on morphein in her IV and tylenol with codeine by mouth.
              They were supposed to get her up and walking yesterday, but something about the orders got screwed up, so she did nto get to walk. Last night at about 10pm when she got settled in a reg. room (finally) they took the catherer out and let he go to the bathroom. Then this morning the PT nurse and got her to walk. Then she got a nurse who was pregnant for the day shift, so she could not help her at all. So I had to do everything. So this afternoon I got her up and we fixed her hair, and Imade her walk. Well of course I was doing everything wrong. lol!!! She fussed the entire time. But she did it. She is not walking far, but I guess that will come with time. now she has a great nurse tonight. So hopefully that will help. We are supposed to be going home friday????????????? YIKES! I just don't know how i will be able to do all this at home???????????

Sorry for the rambling!!!!!

Comment

Hey, hang in there!

Hard to believe but it does get better! I would never have believed it myself if I had not witnessed for myself with Elysia. Stand your ground and don't let them send you home unless she's sitting and walking around, all smiles. It's only day 2, so she needs some time to recover.

A lot of the kids start screaming and yelling at the parents for the pain they are in. Elysia never did that to me, something happened to her in hospital, it was like she was possessed by an Angel! (soon departed once she was home and feeling better) but most kids will have a little wobbly out of frustration for the situation.

Things will improve by the end of the week, just stand your ground and don't be bossed around by the hospital staff and doctors, you know your child best.

hugs
                Del
                xx
                Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                Sydney - Australia
                Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

The reason the pain is so unbearable right now is because the pain meds from the surgery have worn off. You wrote that they are rotating her on IV Morphine and Tylenol with Codeine by mouth. Find out if they are stopping the IV Morphine when they give her the Tylenol. I hope not. Ask for a Morphine PCA pump, in addition to the IV Morphine. With the pump, she'll be able to push the button every time she feels pain. I agree with Carmell, she should never go more than 3 hours without pain meds in her system. The key is to keep ahead of it, & not let one wear off while another is administered.

As far as your daughter taking it out on you, that's very common. In fact, my daughter actually threw me out of the room (not because of the pain, but from the emotions going wild). Just remember.... things WILL settle down, if they haven't already.

I just told my daughter your story. She said, "the 2nd day is the worst & everyone kept telling me that it would get better & I didn't believe them, but it DOES. Hang in there. Trust me, in a few weeks she'll be looking back on it & will be happy that she had it done."

You are doing an EXCELLENT job. Be sure to get plenty of nourishment yourself, and please keep us posted!
                  Martha
                  Mother of Laura, Age 19
                  Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
                  Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
                  Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
                  Fused T2-L2
                  Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
                  Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
                  Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
                  OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

She just walked with PT. She did AWESOME!!!!!!!!! The PT just barely guided her, she did it all, and walked a good ways! I am so proud of her!!!!!! Plus it was time for her pain meds, and she did it all without it!!! WOoHoo!!!!!!

Comment

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you both! Progress is wonderful, isn't it? You just have to measure it in baby steps and then celebrate and praise her, like you so obviously are doing! Keep it up!
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congrats you both made it through! As above, stand your ground, she'll get over it and will be thankful in the long run.
                        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                        (left open with just clear dressing)
                        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

So glad to hear you are on the other side of the operation.

Don't let your daughter be too hard on you - it is not your fault she has scoliosis. I think you have done the best you can to help and support her. She should be grateful for having a wonderful supportive mother like you.

Please keep updating us on your progress.

Ruth
                          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

It all sounds like great progress!

My daughter was not herself in the hospital. It's the pain and the meds and the whole situation.

Today is day 5, yes? I hope she is feeling better.

I think she will perk up when she returns home. You'll get your old daughter back in no time.

Good luck.
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Amanda goes in for Surgery Wednesday

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences. My daughter goes for T5-T12 fusion on Wed. (49 degree curve, she is 10, braced for 3.5 years). It is so helpful. Good luck for continued recovery!

Comment

Working...
                              X