Appt. with Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appt. with Dr. Boachie

I had my 1st appt. with Dr. Boachie this past Thurs. and was very impressed. Had to wait a long time, but he personally spent alot of time with us and did not make us feel rushed. I previously had x-rays which showed I have 2-50 degree curves, but they were taken lying down. The standing ones show a 50 degree and 73 degree curve with a 90 degree rotation. He said I'm well balanced but did recommend surgery. He said he would do anterior and posterior at one time. He did not discuss fusion levels yet. I have weakness in my left leg, so he wants a myelogram, cat scan and EMG done and then to go back in 6 wks. At that time we'll discuss surgery further.

Wow. It's really strange, but I almost had a sense of relief when I left his office. With the larger curve being 73 degrees instead of 50 and with Dr. Boachie actually recommending surgery, it pretty much cleared up the indecision on my part. I really knew because of the pain that surgery was going to be the end result, but also felt that maybe if I worked really hard in PT and did less at home possibly I could avoid putting myself and my family through it. I now am sure that this is what I have to do and just want to get the process started.

Well, thanks for letting me share. You guys are great!

Connie
    57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
    90 degree rotation

Hi Connie...

I totally understand your relief. When one's curves are in the grey zone, the decision can be pretty difficult. Knowing that your curves are of the size where surgery is almost certainly required takes much of the decision out of your hands.

Best of luck with your journey.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for telling us!

Connie--I'm so glad to hear your appointment went well with Dr. Boachie. I understand totally your sense of relief over hearing his recommendation for surgery. I think that is the biggest hurdle of all with this scoli-- the decision to go forward with surgery. Then you can focus your energies, thoughts, plans into that, and not be in that rather nebulous state of mind where you don't know what's happening or what you should do. Best wishes as you begin your planning. Be sure to keep us updated as it unfolds! And try to garner courage as you go by knowing how many others have gone before you!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Connie,
        I had surgery with Dr. Boachie in Dec. of '06 and I felt the same way about him- he has a "calming" affect. My worst curve was over 100 deg. and I had a rotation of 180, and he did a great job. (I was 45 at the time of surgery). There is such a relief in finally making a decision- I remember that. Best of luck to you!
        Cathie

Comment

What does "rotation of 90 or 180" mean? When they measured my rotation they used the little scoliometer thingy and that only goes to 30 degrees on both sides...?
          aBbiE
          22 yr old F,KU college student
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
          Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
          I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
          Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

Thanks for your replies and encouraging words. That is exactly how I feel. Much of the decision has been taken out of my hands, so now I can proceed with alot more confidence. I was in such a haze thinking should I - shouldn't I, and driving everyone in my life crazy with it. Now I can move forward positively. Thanks again for the support.
            Connie
            57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
            90 degree rotation

Comment

Working...
            X