Dealing with Hair After Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ginger,

I would say what you do to your hair before surgery depends on what type of hair you have. I have long, fairly straight hair with highlights. I got my hair done right before surgery. I didn't need to go in for almost 2 months. My hair doesn't tangle very easy so I didn't bother to do a braid or ponytail. (I get headaches if they are in too long.) I though I would need a shampoo while in the hosp. so I bought a plastic head drape that Velcro's around your head like you would wear a headband and drains into the sink. You would sit normally, in a chair, with your back to the sink. The drape is long enough to reach in the sink. I never needed it though. I was allowed to shower the day after I got home, day 9. My hair wasn't itchy and not very dirty like it has been when I was sick (A fever is tough on your hair!) and didn't shower for a bit. I guess my system was in shock and shut down the oil glands. I only had steri-strips on, not a dressing. Showering was o.k. I was told as long as the stream of water wasn't directly on my back. I did take and use facial cleansing cloths to freshen up all over, they work great.

As for those of you wondering about reaching up to do your hair it absolutely depends on how high your fusion is. It seems around T4-5 area is where it gets tougher to lift arms. Not impossible just tiring like Susie*bee said. Chihuahua mama, you should be fine. I am T10 to L4 and had no problem.
    Last edited by Suzy; 05-03-2008, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Dear Everyone,

These comments have been incredibly helpful. I just ordered the shampoo cap that you toss in the microwave from drugstore.com. I also got the "Comfort Cape" described by Suzy, that allows you to sit up normally. You can get one of those at http://www.comfort-cape.com.

Since my fusions will start at T4, I'm figuring that I'll be among the group that struggles with getting my arms above my head and blow drying or curling my hair. In this situation, a husband would come in handy. Sigh. Unfortunately, my dog doesn't have such skills, but she loves me A LOT!
      Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
      May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
      Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Dear Pooka1:

In response to your question about my broken rod: it was caused because my back didn't fuse in a couple spots. I've talked to two different surgeons about it and they both said that it was nothing I did...it just happens sometimes.

One of the surgeons did mention that adults don't seem to fuse donor bone (allograft I think is what it's called) unless mixed with BMP. I was 17 when I had my first surgery and allograft was used. He said that my age was borderline and that possibly might be a reason why it didn't work so well. This time they will be using bone that they take from my hip so hopefully that will work better.

Something like my case doesn't happen all that often, so I wouldn't worry too much...if that's possible for a mother to do broken rods have been discussed on the forum before...you can search for a thread called "what causes broken rods" It might answer some more of your questions.

It's a good thing your daughter is listening to everything the doctor told her to do (or not do)...that can get very frustrating after awhile. I'm glad she seems to be doing well so far. I hope she continues to have an easy and speedy recovery!!
        20 year old college student
        Pre-op: 3 curves (30-50-30 degrees)
        Spinal Fusion: T4-L1 June 2005
        Broken rod/failed fusion found Jan. 2007
        Revision surgery:May 21, 2008 - Dr Tribus @ UW Hospital in Madison (found only 2 levels fused from previous surgery)

Comment

Dear iluvmath!,

Thanks for that. I'll look for the thread.

Best regards,
          sharon
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I was really worried about my hair going into the hospital, I am very picky. After surgery, I did not care one bit like I thought I would. First, I high light my hair and I did that like two weeks before surgery. It is about time that I do it again. My surgery was on Tuesday and my doctor allowed me to take a shower Sat. because I asked. It was very hard, basically, I just stood in the shower and stuck my head under the water and my husband washed it for me, then my mother in law combed out my hair. My surgery site was covered with bandages and after I showered, a nurse came in and put dry bandages on. I did not attempt another shower for about two more days after that. My bandages came off about 3 or 4 days after I went home from the hospital and my doctor said it was ok to wash my hair, shampoo would not hurt anything, and it didn't. I did not start drying my hair until 4 to 5 weeks post op, I probably could have before that but I just didn't feel like it. I let my hair dry on it's own or I pulled it up. I was mainly in the house anyway so not many people saw how I looked. Once I started drying my hair, I started using my flat iron to straighten my hair. Hope this helps !
            Jamie Age 29
            Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
            T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

I cut my hair pretty short before my first surgery. It worked out great!!! It was very hard and tiring to wash my hair because it hurt so much to raise my arms. This way it only took about a minute of actually washing and only about 10 minutes of drying time. Now since my last surgery last May, I have let my hair grow out again to about shoulder length. At times when it's a bad day I think about how easy and quick it was to do when it was short. I colored it right before my surgeries and by time I actually went anywhere, besides the living room, it was well healed over. The waterless shampoo made my hair worse.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Chi Mama,

I had several people tell me I'd not be able to lift my arms, and that didn't prove out in my case. I was able to lift my arms the day of surgery - as soon as I was awake.

The first few times washing/drying/ironing my hair at home solo (I came home the morning of day 6 - and recovered on my own) left me ~white~ and worn out. By week 2-3, I could accomplish it without feeling I needed a nap. Or an all night recovery.

(BTW, my hair is mid back - about shoulder blade - length. It's THICK ... takes *forever* to dry!)

Regards,
                Pam

Originally posted by Chihuahua Mama
                this is such a great thread, thanks for asking the question - I am wondering how long it will be before I can raise my hands above my head to fix my hair at all...I blow dry my hair then use a flat iron. I think I may have to deal with my hair being alll curly for a while but I sure want to be able to dry it and flat iron it as soon as I can.
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks Pam!

That's good to know - my hair too takes forever...until (ta da) I bought the best hairdryer I've EVER used, the T3 Feather weight. It's pricey, but hey, as the commercial goes, I'm worth it.

Literally it weighs nothing, easy on the arms and cuts the drying time in half for my thick, curly hair. That, and a flat iron...I'm good to go!

We of the thick hair do need to share secrets!
                  Susan
                  XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

T3? Thanks, Chi Mama ... I'm looking for one today!

Just so happens my blow dryer recently passed after a long, happy life (okay ... so maybe it was a short, abused life!) ... and I need a new one.

I'm all OVER anything that cuts drying time! Can you find it at ULTA, Sally ... where? Let me know, and my view on "pricey" is relative: Some things are worth the extra cost - especially considering I go through about 6 blow dryers a year because they have to run so long at each sitting!

One thing I did do before surgery was have my hair underlayers razored ... it helped reduce the volume tremendously (and the drying time). I already knew before surgery I wouldn't lose a bit of hair after anesthesia (actually very common, but I never do), so I couldn't count on that to reduce the mop.

A lazy trick I learned was to stick my monstrous 220v A/C window unit on high fan and plop my butt in a chair with both vents aimed at my head - LOL. While most Houstonians have central air, my lil' bungalow - and many of the houses in this old neighborhood outside Downtown - was constructed ca. 1920 ... and never updated to central.

The unexpected bonus of this was it gave my hair a break from the heat of blow drying. I still use this method a few times a week, and my hair's in much better condition!

Now, hair color ...

Mine usually runs the gamut of "reds not found in nature". (it's naturally about 1/2 dark brown, 1/2 grey ... and has been since I was 19)

Anyone who dyes their hair any shocking red is familiar with the pink spots (no matter HOW well you shampoo afterwards) this junk leaves on your pillows the first few days. My hair grows pretty quickly - and red fades pretty quickly. All this factored into my decision on how soon before surgery to color.

If I'd waited until the last minute, I would have trashed the hospital pillowcases (my bill currently stands at ±$250,000 ... I can't even believe I found THAT a concern - LMAO!), and too far prior to surgery, I'd have roots at 2 weeks post-op.

I ended up doing it 3 days before surgery and had roots 3 weeks after surgery. This was the least of my concern at that point (I just wore a lot of ball caps ;-).

A few days after my stitches were removed (about 3 weeks post-op) I colored it (I've always done it myself).

My situation (coloring because of all the grey) probably isn't the norm. If I did it just for color enhancement, highlights/lowlights most definitely would have been the most forgiving option.

Regards,
                    Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Oh, it makes me so happy to share this info - everyone who has used this dryer just doesn't want to return to Conair!!

There are two version of the T3, one is "Evolution" (a bit heavier, but still light) and the "Featherweight". The evolution has a cool shot button, so you can turn your AC to the bigger duty of cooling your house, and I think the Featherweight does as well, but not sure.

I bought my daughter a Featherweight on Amazon for a great price. Sephora has it as well as Nordstrom and QVC. I'm not aware of any other place that sells them, other than Amazon.

You can go to any of those websites and search "T3" and you should find it.

Here's what Amazon is currently selling it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K7JLGM

The alternative would be say...Sally's and look for a "Tourmaline" hairdryer, but I can't say enough about this dryer for challenged hair.

Happy shopping!
                      Susan
                      XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Chihuahua Mama
                        Oh, it makes me so happy to share this info ...
                        Okay ... I snorted out loud. Sometimes it just really IS the little things in life, huh? You sound like me preaching on memory foam now! ;-) I'm about to go order one of these babies (I'm counting on you, my thick-haired sister!).

And, yeah ... I suppose my a/c *does* have a larger purpose, however, there IS another bonus using it as a hair dryer: A bane of life in Houston (and 100% humidity most days) is you take a bath and break a sweat by the time you get dried and dressed!

Regards,
                        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

well... i have no advice, but i just want to let all of you know that i am praying for you guys since surgery is a pretty scary thing AND that i also feel sry for you that you can't wash your hair after surgery! i, myself, am COMPLETELY OBSESSED with my hair! thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~
                          Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
                          I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
                          My curves were 30 and 31
                          I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
                          I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
                          I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
                          I want to meet some new people on this forum!
                          Don't be shy...
                          Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

My hairdresser

Since I'm 46 and get my hair colored regulary to cover the GRAY, I just spoke to my hairdresser the other day, and after I'm home, she will come to my house to color/cut my hair.

I know it sounds stupid, but that has really helped. The last thing I want to look like is an old gray hag, or have to get my hubby to color my hair from a drugstore box haircolor.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I got my hair colored and cut pretty short just before my surgery. I was glad I did because the little hair shampooing cap would not be effective on longer hair. Mine is really thick. I didn't feel like fooling with it much anyway for a couple of weeks... couldn't have cared less, to be honest. So for the sake of those around me.... lol.. i kept it very simple and easy. By the time i felt more like myself, it had grown to a length that i could use a curling iron and make it look decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy
                                ... As for those of you wondering about reaching up to do your hair it absolutely depends on how high your fusion is. It seems around T4-5 area is where it gets tougher to lift arms. ...
                                My fusion starts at T4, and from talking to others with similar fusions pre-op, I was totally prepared for difficulty lifting my arms.

Surprisingly, it wasn't an issue at *all* ... I could put them completely straight over my head the day I had surgery - and could easily put in a ponytail when I got home.

Just another thing that varies from person to person!

Regards,
                                Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                                X