Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

revision/fusion extension:easier recovery than original surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revision/fusion extension:easier recovery than original surgery?

I am scheduled for a revision surgery of my T-10 to L-3 fusion with extension up to T-4 and down one level to L4. I will be having an osteotomy and possible thoracoplasty (depending on how well the surgeon can correct the rotation without needing to perform the thoracoplasty). I had the original surgery 7 years ago, hardware removal 3 years later due to prominence of hardware and bursitis from hooks. My curve has since progressed/rotated and I have junctional kyphosis and pain.

The hardware removal, as many people have written in their posts, was a piece of cake (relatively speaking ) to recover from, and the original fusion was quite tough to get through. I am quite active and in shape, but that only helps so much...

I would absoloutely love to hear from others that have had revisions similar to what I am facing...were you more prepared for the revision and therefore dealt with the pain better or was it harder on you since you were older and/or had to recover from additional parts of the correction surgery such as an osteotomy? Most of us in need of revision are already in a reasonable amount of day to day pain or discomfort, and so I am so anxious to hopefully have relief of the scoli pain, junctional problems, and look forward to more 'stability' in my upper thoracic spine.

Please share your experience as it relates to pain and/or recovery time...especially with an osteotomy or thoracoplasty.

Wishing you well

I can't help with your question, but sure will be interested when others do. My case is a lttle different then yours, but will be facing a revision soon. I too have had several surgeries, some easier then others. I went into my last one thinking it would be similar to the one previous since both were on the neck. The 2nd was awful. In the recovery room, not even awake I was telling anyone withing hearh-shot that it was not right & we needed to go back then & there. 7 months later I still feel the same, it is worse then before we went in.
    With the help of this forum now know enough to seek out revision Dr. Like you unsure of what to expect afterwards. Thanks for posting the question.
    scoli appeared age 15
    untreated until age 30
    41* T & 72* L
    Harrington Rod T4 to L4
    33* T & 53* L
    neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
    Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Comment

I had a revision in december, and I found it much easier than my original surgery. The revision was major, I had rods put from the back all the way down my spine (see details in my signature). I was terrified going in to the surgery, but it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting, even though the surgery was much more extensive than I had anticipated (I got the worst-case scenario!). Everyones experiences are so differernt. I think knowing what you're in for is a mixed blessing. I was terrified because I knew how bad my first one felt, but this time around my pain relief was much better and I had better nursing care. Also, I knew I could cope, as I had coped before!
      It was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster tho.
      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
      X