New member saying hello, with question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member saying hello, with question

I am a new member wishing to say Hello. Actually I have been reading post for a few weeks now. What a wonderful place to find support, information & encouragement. Thank each of you! I have a question that is so basic that I am a little uncomfortable asking. I have double scoli discovered apx. 15 yrs of age. No treatment until 30 yr old. Curves were 41 thoracic to R. & 72 lumbar to L. Harrington rod by Dr. Hancock in Atlanta reduced curves to 33 & 53. Left with pain & area that did not fuse between shoulders. 25 yrs later have pain pump but pain is awful. Have plate C3-4, C4-5, C5-6. Last neck surgery 6 months ago. Before off the OR table knew something not right. Pain in neck is unbearable. Harrington rod was removed due to complications. Question: Can curves progress after fusion? I am hoping to see Dr. LaGrone soon. I will appreciate any insight anyone can offer. It is good to be here. Thank You!
    scoli appeared age 15
    untreated until age 30
    41* T & 72* L
    Harrington Rod T4 to L4
    33* T & 53* L
    neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
    Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Revision

Taylor,

Sorry you're having on-going problems, but I want to encourage you to go to Dr. LaGrone. He did my revision in 2000 and did me a world of good. I'm not pain-free, but that wasn't expected. But within 3 months of revision, I felt better than I had in 27 years. Like you, I had a complication from the Harrington rod. In my case, I had two areas of pseudoarthrosis which resulted in curve progression, and the hook of the rod migrated into my spinal canal and punctured my dura. My experience with my first surgeon who operated on me 3 times was, to put it mildly, not good. My second ortho's mantra was, "It's only pain and not loss of function," which I don't think is the most sensitive thing to tell a teenager with chronic pain. But I have had a consistently good experience with Dr. LaGrone. He improved my quality of life immensely, always has been responsive to phone calls and letters, and is a kind person. He will tell you the unvarnished truth which is refreshing. I am curious about what your complication was that necessitated removal of your Harrington rod if you're willing to share. Let me know if I can provide any other information that might be helpful. Alyssa

Comment

Although I can't answer your question, I just wanted to give you reassurance in your decision to see Dr. LaGrone. He did surgery on my daughter last June after a failed surgery attempt with another doctor (horrible experience). I can't say enough good things about him and his abilities. Not only is he a very good doctor, he is also a very kind man. His whole office staff is wonderful. I was so thankful to Linda Racine and this board for posting about him.
      I wish you best of luck and I hope you find comfort with your pain.

Comment

Thank You

First let me say thank you to Alyssa & Momof3girls for responding to my post. After I typed it I kept thinking why didn't I include this or that. Sometimes pain gets in between me & my brain. To answer your question about the complication causing the rod to be removed. I am almost too embarrased to tell you. I had to young children, it was Easter Sun., my husband stood me up since I was in a plaster body cast, helped me to the stoop at the front door to watch them pick up a few eggs. A little black snake wriggled by, startled me & I fell on my rump like a baby on a diapered butt. It shoved the rod up between my shoulders. 1st the rod was cut off 3", repacked, then months later removed because not fusing. I complained of pain to several Dr.'s over the years. The word pseudoarthrosis came up, but no one told me what it was or that the curve would progress if it was not fixed. So tried to grin & bare it, then pain management, pain pump, then pain broke though the pump & I knew it was time to see a Dr. During the time the pump was taking care of pain I did not realize the lower back had began to change. Discs are bulging 5mm, nerve roots trapped, in addition to neck. What I was not clear abaut is I had read other post that the curve could progress above / below fusion, however I was not clear about curve progression where previously fused (even a long fusion). Is this a common event? Again, thank you for your help. It is very appreciated.
        scoli appeared age 15
        untreated until age 30
        41* T & 72* L
        Harrington Rod T4 to L4
        33* T & 53* L
        neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
        Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Comment

Taylor,

I too would have done what you did regarding seeing the children finding Easter eggs. It's a touching story. My guess is you would have had problems even without the fall - perhaps the fall just sped things up a bit. My experience with pseudoarthroses was that my curve progressed in that area. I had a tomogram at the time to pinpoint the areas that were not fusing, and the pseudoarthroses were repaired. Do give Dr. LaGrone a try as he can work wonders. And he is a kind man. I've gotten tickled catching a cab at the Amarillo airport, saying 13 Medical Drive, and having the driver respond, "Dr. LaGrone." Dr. LaGrone had worked on the driver's brother, and he too raved about him. After having such dreadful experiences with my first surgeon, it took me a long time to muster the courage to give another one a try, but I'm glad I did.

Comment

Working...
          X