Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain

My daughter is in pain since her brace was tightened on Thursday, she is wearing the Spinecor Brace. I don't know what to do right now to help the discomfort. The plastic parts from the pelvic base are hurting her, especially the one on her left side that goes around to her back. I got a call at work from her school today, she had been in the office laying down for 45 minutes with a sore back and headache, so I left work (again) and got her... I am going to end up losing my job because I have had to miss so much work.

Any suggestions on how to make a child comfortable at school in their brace all day? I know that having those little hard plastic chairs don't help for sure. Also other than the moleskin, does anyone have and suggestions for padding under the plastic parts?
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

I'm really sorry Halle is having such problems. I'm afraid I can't help as Immy has never suffered anything other than mild discomfort and chaffing.

I hope someone will be along soon to help you.

Laura x
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Sorry to hear your daughter is having a rough time. It can take a couple of weeks to adjust to a tighter brace. I give my daughter a quick back massage every night before bed to relax all those tense muscles.

My daughter did have a couple of rough weeks after one of her brace adjustments. Straps 1 and 3 were so tight were they overlapped that they caused the edge of the plastic on the pelvic base to cut her left hip. She's a skinny little thing without much padding.
      She doesn't like bandaids or moleskin so we just wrapped a small piece of polar fleece around that section for a few days. After that everything was fine.

My 2 children constantly argue about who has it worse - the one getting their back brace adjusted or the one getting their teeth braces tightened.
      Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
      Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
      Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
      Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
      Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
      Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

I would call or email Dr. Coillard and run the discomfort by her.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Thanks very much everyone! I have sent Dr. Coillard an e-mail regarding this, hopefully she has some suggestions. My daughter needed to to be picked up from school again today, again with a headache, back ache and a fever that is unexplained because she is not sick.
          Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

Headache, backach and fever can be spinal meningitis or encephalitis.
            Usually the neck is really stiff and the headach is unbearable, but not always.
            How high is the fever?
            Rachel had a viral meningitis that led to increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure for several months. It presented as a headache and backache at first. It was atypical. If she ran a fever with it, I never caught it, i.e. really low grade.Her backache and headache were also atypical, i.e. not your usual unbearable. The headache became unbearable in the post inflammatory reponse she had to the viral meningitis.
            Just a thought. Probably not that. But keep an eye out.
            Last edited by cherylplinder; 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM.
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

How scary! Thank you for the information though. She seemed pretty good today, other than the brace being tight but she made it through school today and didn't have a headache or fever. Dr. Coillard called me and said there isn't much that can be done about the tightness of the brace, that her Scoliosis is very progressive and it needs to stay where it is, so I can't loosen it at all, which i expected anyway.
              Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

Working...
              X