Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHOP Phila PA Dr's.

Hi,

This is my first post ever on this site!

Does anyone have experience with any of the ortho dr.s at CHOP. We have an appt. with Dr. Spiegel at the beginning of June. When my daughter was originally diagnosed two years ago we had seen Dr. Drummond, and he was fine, but I had some reservations. I was in touch with a woman who's daughter had her surgery w/ Spiegel and everything went very well for them.

Like any parent of a child who is facing surgery, I want the very best surgeon in my area. I would be interesed to hear from anyone who has had dealings with these dr's or any other ortho. dr's. at CHOP.

Thank you!

Well, if you don't mind me saying, you hit the jackpot on your first post. I can definitely help you with which surgeon to go with at CHOP. My daughter just had spinal fusion surgery with Dr. John Flynn at CHOP last Thursday, April 17th. After 5 opinions, 3 different hospitals, and a ton of research, we decided to go with Dr. Flynn, the absolute best.....anywhere. I would DEFINITELY recommend him.

Feel free to email me: malka22@comcast.net
    Martha
    Mother of Laura, Age 19
    Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
    Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
    Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
    Fused T2-L2
    Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
    Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
    Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
    OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Well, if you don't mind me saying, you hit the jackpot on your first post. I can definitely help you with which surgeon to go with at CHOP. My daughter just had spinal fusion surgery with Dr. John Flynn at CHOP last Thursday, April 17th. After 5 opinions, 3 different hospitals, and a ton of research, we decided to go with Dr. Flynn, the absolute best.....anywhere. I would DEFINITELY recommend him.

Feel free to email me: malka22@comcast.net
      Martha
      Mother of Laura, Age 19
      Fused T2-L2

Comment

As you can see from my signature, I'm a huge fan of Dr. Flynn. We also saw Dr. Spiegel but honestly, we weren't too thrilled with him. At our first meeting with Dr. Flynn, I knew he was the one. I would be happy to share our experience with you. I'll send you a PM with my email.

Good luck!
        Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
        Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
        Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Did you decide on a CHOP doc?
          Martha
          Mother of Laura, Age 19
          Fused T2-L2

Comment

Sorry that I haven't replied sooner... the computer was down since the beginning of the week (AHHH technology!!!)

Martha & Lori, thank you both for the Chop Doc recommendations! I made an appt. w/ Dr. Flynn for the 3rd week in June (1st available), and I still have the appt. w/ Dr. Spiegel.

So many people have advised me, as you have, to stick with CHOP. The more info I get, the more comfortable I feel about our decision to stay there. I know that Shriners has an excellent reputation, but my personal experience (although many years ago) excludes that facility as an option.

I have many questions to ask, and would like to e-mail you directly. I will try to get something out in the next day or two.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with me, it really has helped.

Lauren

Comment

Working...
            X