No announcement yet.

i HATE the brace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hate my brace alot of the time, but i also really love it. its part of my weird girl thing ive got going on. when i stop bracing, ill keep it.
    yeah, i wear a brace. what now?
    13 years old
    freshman in high school
    braced since november of 2006
    proud of my curves!

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegirl59
      hi all! i just wanted 2 ask, do any of u hate ur brace and want 2 burn it when it comes off? well that's wut i'm gonna do. i'm gonna just burn it! i pray all the time 2. i know God will help me thro all of this tho. as of right now i have a boston brace, but i want a spinecor tho. i keep prayin every day tho.
      my family was thinkingabout getting me a spinecor, but it only works on REALLY SKINNY people. like you have to be almost underweight because it doesnt work if you are even slightly pudgy.
      yeah, i wear a brace. what now?
      13 years old
      freshman in high school
      braced since november of 2006
      proud of my curves!

Comment

Originally posted by badoomchick12
        my family was thinkingabout getting me a spinecor, but it only works on REALLY SKINNY people. like you have to be almost underweight because it doesnt work if you are even slightly pudgy.
        Hi Badoomchick12
        I'm not sure there's any evidence to suggest Spinecor only works on really skinny people and it's certainly not a criteria for being fitted with the brace. My daughter is in the under-weight category and the brace is working great for her but we see all shapes and sizes when we go for her brace adjustments.

One of my daughter's friends is 15, ~20ish pounds overweight? (she's a good sized girl) and has reduced her curve from 45 to 28 over the last 1.5 years. She was told that losing some weight would help her back and health in general and that she'd need to be really diligent in doing her prescribed exercises.
        Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
        Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
        Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
        Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
        Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
        Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Badoomchick12,

I have been searching the internet for you. I remember seeing an article (some time ago) that said Spinecor was proving to be an excellent option for overweight kids.

Unfortunately I can't find it now...

Will keep searching but I certainly have never heard that it is only for skinny kids!

Remaining active, supple, fit & healthy will help to maintain flexibility and strength in your spine (and the rest of your body).
          UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
          10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
          Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

thx

thank you for that rugby laura! i was glad when i read that! (i'm not overweight, but the people that are, can have a treatment for their scoliosis!)
            that's pretty cool.
            Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
            I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
            My curves were 30 and 31
            I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
            I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
            I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
            I want to meet some new people on this forum!
            Don't be shy...
            Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Hi-
              I have come up with a great plan for all of the braces when you are done with them. I am collecting the braces to be sent to Africa with Dr. Boachie's Mission group FOCOS.
              If you have a brace you would like to donate please contact me at carawinslowvbs@comcast.net

For more info about FOCOS, visit www.orthofocos.org

And, thanks for the inspiration Ginger!!
              -Cara
              Cara, Mom to Nathan
              Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
              Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
              VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
              Dr. Hresko
              40 Degrees before VBS
              11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrr

i hate the brace! I WANT TO MAKE A BONFIRE WITH IT AND ROSTE MARSHMELLOWS, RUN OVER IT WITH A EXCEVTER, AND USE IT AS A BASEBALL
                Last edited by bjflynn6; 09-24-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Bash It, Smash It, Crash It or Trash It

All of your ideas make me feel so uncreative. I just threw mine in the trash, then couldn't believe one of my parents didn't make me take it back out. It does make me feel much better to think of how the garbage truck must have smashed the heck out of it.

I was 10 when I started wearing it. I was told I'd need to wear one for 4 years. At almost 17, I simply refused to wear it any more.

Like you, I hated it. I had a Milwaukee brace for the first four years and a Boston brace for the last 2 and a half years. I did not get any days or nights out of it. If your parents or doctor let you take time out of it, you're really lucky.

The Milwaukee brace was leather and metal. It snagged my hair, and was very noticeable in public. The Boston brace was hard plastic and metal. It wasn't as noticeable. They were both sweaty-hot. I always wore a long stretchy undershirt underneath. That helped absorb the sweat AND cut down on sore spots.

I had my first real taste of freedom when the trash men took it away without any complaints from my parents. I think it's because they knew everything I'd been through because of it.

No matter what form of destruction or gift-giving you do with your brace, you will feel the same sense of freedom the day you realize you will never have to wear it again. Praise God!

Comment

i hate it too

Originally posted by sparklegirl59 View Post
                    hi all! i just wanted 2 ask, do any of u hate ur brace and want 2 burn it when it comes off? well that's wut i'm gonna do. i'm gonna just burn it! i pray all the time 2. i know God will help me thro all of this tho. as of right now i have a boston brace, but i want a spinecor tho. i keep prayin every day tho.
                    hi, i had my brace when i was 6 until i was 9, then i had to get a fusion. it was so embarasing!!!!!!!!!!!!! because everyone in the entire class would be wearing jeans and i wouldn't be able to which sucked!!!!!!!!!!! plus it hurts really bad and leaves marks that are red and burn all over your skin!!!!!!!

Comment

lol now you might wanna burn it but later you might not want to
                      My Scoliosis
                      My curves are 15 and 21.
                      I wear a Boston Brace
                      Don't think I am getting surgery
                      http://scoliosisadmin.proboards79.com/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by ARN010 View Post
                        hi, i had my brace when i was 6 until i was 9, then i had to get a fusion. it was so embarasing!!!!!!!!!!!!! because everyone in the entire class would be wearing jeans and i wouldn't be able to which sucked!!!!!!!!!!! plus it hurts really bad and leaves marks that are red and burn all over your skin!!!!!!!
                        wear a shirt under you brace so it won't hurt u skin.

Comment

???

Why in the world would you want to burn it? It brings back childhood memories (although bad). You should donate it or keep it as an "I've been through hell and survived" trophy!

Comment

i know it hurts im going through the same thing but the brace might come in handy because if a burglar comes into the house you can hit them and knock them out with it

Comment

Brace Hating

Hang in there everyone.......I wore a brace at your age. I am having surgery in April. Doc's wanted me to have surgery instead of the brace back when I was 11 or so. Now, I am glad my parents decide against surgery, back than....I thought I would have preferred it and life would have been easier. I didn't wear my brace as I should have and wonder all the time if I had would I be where I am today. Wear it....hate it, but at least you can look back and know you did what you were supposed to do. I know that doesn't make any of you feel better right now. I'm not sure there could be anyone out there who hated their brace more than me. It made me angry, insecure and I tried to hide it every chance I got.....and lets not forget about how it tears up your skin. It was something that my parents never really talked to me about. It was easier to pretend it wasn't going on I guess. If I had a support system like this forum maybe I would have felt a little different. I am not sure. I wish you all good luck and stay strong!
                              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Burn itt

You know that is soo funny. Right when I got my brace I tld my mom that when i was done with it that i was gonna burn it right then, mydad loves to make fires so when I'm done with the brace im gonna just throw it into one of his fires. I'm gonna watch it burn and sing kumbiay. lolz
                                Any way, MY name is KAtelyn and I am 13 years ols, i don't have that large of a curve. I have one in my lower back that is 31 percent. It is now down to about 5 percent because of the brace. Although the brace is helpin me of course I still hate it to death. lolz. Just Brace yourself and get ready for the future of a straight back!!!
                                Katelyn Caralle
                                14 9th grade
                                Curve out of brace:decreased to 15
                                Curve in brace: 0
                                Boston Brace

Comment

Working...
                                X