i HATE the brace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i HATE the brace!

hi all! i just wanted 2 ask, do any of u hate ur brace and want 2 burn it when it comes off? well that's wut i'm gonna do. i'm gonna just burn it! i pray all the time 2. i know God will help me thro all of this tho. as of right now i have a boston brace, but i want a spinecor tho. i keep prayin every day tho.
    Last edited by sparklegirl59; 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM.
    Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
    I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
    My curves were 30 and 31
    I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
    I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
    I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
    I want to meet some new people on this forum!
    Don't be shy...
    Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

yeah i know exactly what you mean. but i dont think im gonna burn it literally - lol.

- MONICA

Comment

Really? I Am!!!

hey monica! sup? i can't blieve ur not gonna burn it! lol. i sure AM GOING 2 BURN THAT DARN THING! i don't even want a memory of it EVER! TTYL! -val
      Valerie

My curves were 30 and 31
      Don't be shy...

Comment

i don't think i'm going to burn mine, either. even though it is a painful memory, i still think that maybe someday later in life, it'll come in handy. rethink burning it before you actually do there may come a time when you need it.
        good luck!
        braceyourself.

Comment

A friend of mine who is now an adult had scoliosis as a teenager and had to wear a milwaukee brace for 5 or 6 years. She did save one of her braces (to this day which is a good 20+ years since she stopped wearing it)...almost like a trophy to show what she is capable of. She is a teacher now and she will show it to her students to educate them on scoliosis as well. Still, it could be fun to burn...
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

good idea, i still plan on saving it, although i would want to have a bonfire and watch the plastic melt in it's fury....
            braceyourself.

Comment

yah

yah it would b fun 2 burn it!!!
              Valerie

My curves were 30 and 31
              Don't be shy...

Comment

Hi- This is Nate on my Mom's account.She just showed me this because I always say I am going to burn my brace

this is how i plan to get rid of my brace
                1- pour gasoline on brace
                2- start bonfire
                3- throw in brace
                4 - run it over with an atv
                5- if that doesnt work throw it out the school bus window tied to string
                Cara, Mom to Nathan
                Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
                Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
                VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
                Dr. Hresko
                40 Degrees before VBS
                11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

baha i luv this
                  but i wanan keep mine ive still got 8 months or so (at least) but i think its a funny memory sure theres days i say "screw this" but i think its gr8 to keep it...and did you know you actually CAN donate them? Kids without the money to get a brace can take ones already molded for similar body types and they can alter it. I mean it isn't as good as having your own, but it recycles and its cheaper and better than no brace. Also it's probably pretty toxic and bad for the enviro if you burn it.but thats just me.
                  Danielle
                  14 Freshwoman
                  December 1st got no head the boston brace
                  Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                  In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                  In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                  We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Hang In There

Hi Val,
                    Like you my daughter was put in a boston brace at age 11 with 32 degree curve.Risser 0. She hated it from the start but wore it the recommended time (20 hours) almost daily. She would take it off for pe and sports practices and games.Her doctors and her dad and I allowed her to go without the brace on very special occasions.At summer camp she was allowed to just wear it to sleep although this was not often. We made many trips to the orthosist for adjustments as she had some pretty nasty red spots and sores at times. She is in her 3rd brace.She has always been very aware of fashion and how she looks especially in the brace.Even though her friends and classmates were supportive she shed many tears and would cry that she looked fat or was a freak.My heart would ache for her and sometimes she would take it out on me.The brace has ruled her life.She will be 15 in September. At her Dec 2007 appt her curves ( now 2 of them ) Were 11-T and 21-L. We went for another appt and xray last week. No change in curves or her growth . Risser-4. The dr
                    told her she could now wear her brace at night only and she would probably be done with it Jan 2009 less than a year from now.I tell you this long tale so you and others will see that there are also success stories with the brace. Don't give up. Bracing can and does work for some.

Comment

thx

thank u so much 4 posting that. great success story, although i hate sleeping in my brace!!! i'll def burn it tho when i'm done.
                      Last edited by sparklegirl59; 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM.
                      Valerie

My curves were 30 and 31
                      Don't be shy...

Comment

Alternative to Burning!

Might I suggest an alternative to burning our braces? (cause burning them will release an AWFUL smell and harmful chemicals into the air - my brother is a pyromaniac, and once tried to burn plastic, got in big trouble) I will have had 5 braces by the end of my run, and am planning to destroy the first and last using a sledgehammer! Just as much fun, and you really can take out your anger!

happy brace demolition!
                        (I get to do mine in 123 days!!)
                        Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
                        -Virgel

Comment

awesome!!!

hee hee. funn-e! that's also very, may i say a creative way of ruining it!!! this is wut i'll be saying when i ruin mine, "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" yah, and it'll be THAT loud, 2! thx 4 the good laugh rebecca. it did me good. TTYL!!! ~*val*~
                          Valerie

My curves were 30 and 31
                          Don't be shy...

Comment

2 danielle, hay girl! yah, it is good 2 be able 2 donate them. that's a good cause, i think. i'd wash it 1st bfor i give it away tho.
                            Valerie

My curves were 30 and 31
                            Don't be shy...

Comment

My brace is like really flexible, and when im out of it im gonna take it past its limit and snap it!!!!! It will be sooooooooooo fun!!!! Mum said i can run over it with a tractor if i want to!!!!!!
                              HI! I'm Tayla
                              I Wore A Boston Brace For 5Years!
                              It Was Taken Off May 10.
                              But... After a Review in Nov 10 My Back had got badd!!
                              Im Now On The Waiting List For Surgery To Get The Bottom Curve Fused.
                              pre surgery:
                              51 at the top.
                              49 at the bottom

<3 Tayy
                              S COLIOSIS
                              Makes Us Stronger... <3

Comment

Working...
                              X