Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrinton rod replacement

Hi Everyone,
    I am new here. I had severe scoliosis as a child and had a total spinal fusion at age 13. I can't remember where the fusion starts and ends. I just remember that my spine looked like a backward dollar sign. The rod I have starts in my lower back and ends a couple vertebra before my neck.
    I am now 40 years old and I've had a lot of neck and shoulder pain over the past several years. I finally went to the spine clinic at UCSF and saw Dr. Bobby Tay. Dr. Tay took ex-rays and said that I have kyphosis beginning at the top of my fusion. He recommended replacing the harrington rod I have and making the fusion higher, into my neck.
    I am really scared about having another surgery and I would really appreciate any feedback.
    Has anyone corrected their kyphosis without surgery?
    Does anyone know anything about Dr. Bobby Tay?
    And finally,
    What is the recovery like for a surgery like this?
    Thanks for your help.
    ~Liesel

similar situation

I have a situation similar to yours. I was fused T3-L2 in 1989 due to severe Schuermann's kyphosis (108' curve). My curve has progressed up my spine now and I, too, have considerable pain in my shoulders and neck. My ortho doc said he would not consider further surgery, but I am not excited about facing the next 30 years or more with this only getting worse. So, I am looking into docs for a second opinion.

I haven't found anyone else here with the neck kyphosis issue, so I'll be watching to see if you get more information. The thought of more surgery scares me, too, but so does living this way for the rest of my life.

Good luck. Hope you can find some answers.

Comment

Kyphosis

Thank you for your response. My dad has had two neck fusions and he said the change in his quality of life was well worth the surgery. The ortho doc I spoke to last week said that fusion begets fusion and that sometimes it's needed to keep going higher. He explained it like this - when you straighten something, there's always slack at the end.
      I asked if there was a non-surgical treatment and he said there isn't. He recommended that I go to physical therapy for three months, 2-3 times per week and then be re-examined.
      So I decided that for the next three months, I am gonna do everything I can to get better. I've enrolled in a yoga for backs class, I'm working out with a physical trainer, and I'll be doing physical therapy.
      The doc said that the surgery would not address the pain I have in my shoulders.
      I am inclined to avoid surgery because he is talking about going in through my neck and removing a vertebra and also removing the rod I've had for 27 years. Scary.
      Best of luck to you and I'll definitely keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
      X