Workout advice anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout advice anyone?

Does anyone have any advice about weight training? I'm especially interested in learning something I can do for my abs. Without straining my back of course and without bending! I had a revision surgery 13 months ago but I'm still supposed to limit bending or lifting things off the ground. I think he just wants me to be extra cautious since this is my second time around.

I work out about 30 minutes 4 to 5 times a week on an elliptical machine but I want to add an ab/arm routine in there. I feel like going to a personal trainer might not be the best idea because they might not know much about my spinal fusion, back situation. Not to mention that it's very expensive.

I'm getting married in October and will be on a Maui beach soon after that so I need to look good in a bikini!

I think someone needs to create a workout video just for people with spinal fusions/scholiosis! Is there already one out there?

Thanks!!
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Actually I am fused to the sacrum and am not allowed to do anything that might involve a crunch type move. My Dr approved the following exercise:

At my gym there is an apparatus that looks kind of like a tall chair without a seat. It has arms with hand grips and you stand on the platforms that are underneath each arm and lean back into the "back of the chair". Holding the hand grips on the arms you step off the platforms and then let your legs hang straight down. Now pull your knees up to your chest or as high as you can go. This really works your abs without any strain on your back. As they get stronger you can lift your legs straight up without bending at the knees for an even more difficult exercise.

Good luck and congratulations! I love Maui so have a great time there. I will be there in November and plan to move there in 2009.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I love pilates, I've had a revision in december, and am already working out on the reformer (the pilates machine, google it!) it is really good for core strength, and all the exercises use these muscles. I would sugest going to a qualified pilates instructor. I envy your goal of flat abs! My tummy has always been my problem area. I'm new to pilates, but it is really good so I've got my fingers crossed it will work for me.
      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I am not fused but my physical therapist showed me a really good exercise for your lower-ab area. Find that giant yoga ball at the gym, sit towards the front of it, and do sit ups that way. it feels a lot better than laying on the floor or a mat and you get a better range of motion (= better workout!). If you can, try adding a 2 or 3 pound medicine ball (the litle weighted balls) and just hold it while you are doing the situps (like 2 sets of 25).
        aBbiE
        22 yr old F,KU college student
        Kyphoscoliosis...
        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
        all smiles!

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this advice everyone. This is very helpful. Geish, this machine you're talking about sounds perfect since I won't have to bend at all. I'll have to see if my gym has one but I think I know which one you're talking about.

And I'm very jealous of you moving to Maui in 2009!! My fiancé and I have a been talking about how we're not going to want to come back. Do you have any recommendations of things to do? We hear Mama's Fish House is a must. We'll definitely be snorkeling, hiking, DRINKING!

Thanks again for all the tips everyone
          { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
          March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Sarah I sent you a message.
            Alicia
            Geish
            47 years old, dx at 13
            +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
            Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Sarah-- I'm just barely into week 2 of PT for core strengthening, so don't feel like I know enough to give any advice. I'll try to remember to pass along some info in a few more weeks. If I forget, please PM and remind me!

By the way, I wouldn't do any sit-up type exercises without your doctor's ok... mine said "no" for anything along those lines. At the same time, I know all our doctors are different...
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Susie! I'll look forward to hearing anything that you may learn!
                { sarah }

Comment

exercises and Maui

Over the years I have gone periodically to a physical therapist for back strengthening exercises and tune ups. I wouldn't trust a personal trainer - they don't have the medical background. I have also caused myself pain through experimenting on my own.

Regarding Mama's Fish House: We had dinner there on New Year's Eve in 1995. We made a reservation that morning, not even realizing that it was New Year's. They apparently had a cancellation. We had the best seat in the house, with the view on their post card!
                  1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your reply. That's good advice. I asked the personal trainer at my work gym what I could do for my abs without doing crunches (unfortunately my gym doesn't have that machine that Geish recommended...damn!) and he told me to get on the floor with only my forearms and toes on the ground supporting me and then just tighten my abs and hold it as long as I could. He said I could put my knees down on the ground if I need to. It's hard to believe that it's actually doing anything though so I'm a little unmotivated to lay in that uncomfortable position! II would like to go do some PT but feel like I can't afford that right now.

thanks-
                    sarah
                    { sarah }

Comment

I haven't forgotten...

Sarah-- I'll try to get back to you this week with some exercises that won't put any strain on your spine and yet work your abs... do you have one of those swiss balls?

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Yes I do have one at my gym.

Thanks, looking forward to it!
                        { sarah }

Comment

I was given exercises to do with the ball. Some were very simple, sitting on the ball and rolling back and forth. Others were pretty hard. I also had exercises to do with the bands.
                          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                          Fused T2 to sacrum
                          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I am trying to attach a file with some exercises-- we shall see how that goes!

Wow, I think it worked. Not bad for a total ditz! If anyone sees any exercises that they think would be BAD for someone to do who is close to a year post-op, PLEASE say something. I think these are all gentle, but ok. Remember, this was originally to help SarahK with her honeymoon on the beach...

I guess I'd better also explain I don't do all of these all of the time. I'm just into my 4th week of PT for core strengthening... and one reason it's taken me so long to post this is because I had to try to remember what I've been doing and attempt to describe it, and it's never the same. I think this covers quite a bit of the exercises that could be duplicated easily by someone else. I also do some on a balance thingy, do some occupational type things (pushing carts, picking up boxes, etc.). Anyway, all exercising you do, including walking, will work your abs if you tighten those stomach muscles and breathe through it while you're walking, and so on. My therapist hasn't given me a home plan to do for after I'm done with him, but I know Sarah wanted some things to work on, so I'm passing these on. If anyone has questions, please ask!
                            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie,

Thank you so much for posting all of that wonderful information!! Those sound like great exercises that will be gentle on my spine. Although they are simple, I never would have known exactly how to do them, plus do them correctly without hurting my back. I would love to see your arm and leg exercises too but I know this took awhile to describe so only do it if you have time.

Can't wait to try these out!

Sarah
                              { sarah }

Comment

Working...
                              X