Would a lift chair be needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a lift chair be needed?

I have no idea how difficult it will be to get out of a chair after my scoli surgery. I guess this is a good place to inquire since ya'll have likely had back surgery already. I can get a real good buy on a lift chair if I would need one. Am getting fused fromT2 - L5 and my 97 lb. wife can't help me a lot, and I don't want her to hurt her back tugging on me. I know the therapy people usually tell ya what you need but they don't have experience like the folks here do! Any info on the subject will be appreciated.
    My Best To All,
    Thanks,
    Chris

Chris, I didn't need one -- the trick is to not sit in a sofa or a deep chair that you can't get out of. You need to be able to push off with your arms while keeping your back straight to get up. Lots of people sit in office chairs or straight-backed armchairs with pillows.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chairs

I definitely avoided soft, deep chairs or couches. Also, you'll find at first that it is not always comfortable to lean back. I found out that I really depended upon my leg muscles to sit down and lift myself up with. If permissible, a walker is helpful, too.
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

I used bed pillows both to sit on top of and behind my back, while sitting on the couch. I thought that was plenty comfy... Our couch was new and we made sure it was a higher type one... with the seat at 20 or 21 inches high. I've also heard you can buy some higher feet for couches-- or just put some blocks under your present ones (if you don't mind the look!), if you're handy that way-- just making sure whatever you make is secure and can't move on you. You will need to use your legs and your arms to push yourself up from a sitting position.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

If you can get a good buy on a lift chair, I'd say go for it! How i wish i'd had one when i was first home. If it hadn't been for my big strong sons being able to lift me out of my chair, i guess i'd be stuck there still today...lol.

Seriously, my leg muscles were sooo weak that i had no leverage to get up. I was fused to sacrum and so couldn't get my center of gravity over my knees far enough to push myself up. Therapy helped strengthen my thigh muscles, but at the first i was really dependent.

Comment

Thank You All Very Much

Wife said yep you're gettin one! Our dinette chairs have cushioned bottoms with arms on each side. I sorta tested and I think I'll be able to get up pretty easy there. Dear wife is gonna make a memory foam pad for the bottom and back also. I have to be careful with my knees, the rheumatologist said they are worn out so I WILL NOT sit in anything low thaks to ya'll! Wife wants to put the L-chair in the bedroom in case I want to sit and read etc.. She really wants me to be comfy somewhere besides the bed so maybe I'll get up more which will be good for me.
            Thanks again to All,
            Chris

Comment

Working...
            X