Surgery date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery date

I finally have the date for surgery. June 9. I keep saying it over and over trying to make it sink in. It's amazing the variety of emotions finally getting a date have brought to the surface. 2 months doesn't seem like a whole lot of time to prepare, but at the same time, I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing. Every time I try to sit down and make a list I get overwhelmed and find something else to do. I'm really wondering what the *%#@ I was thinking planning surgery right now. I couldn't have possibly picked a busier time with my job, all the end of school activities, softball, Scouts. I know I HAVE to get in gear and start some planning, but I just don't know where to begin.

Most likely, every one of you that have been through this surgery experienced these same emotions so if anyone would like to talk me down off the ledge, bring it on! I'm open to anything at this point.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Please come down off the ledge!!

I totally understand how you are feeling, it is all so overwhelming. The good thing is you have found this site, which is step 1. I'd say step 2 is getting proactive - make lists and calendars or whatever you need to do to feel more in control. Pam/txmarinemom has loads of helpful lists out there, and lots of people have posted their lists too and other people have added on to them.

Once I got my date, I made a calendar of what could or needed to be done further out from the date (shopping for items, food prep/storage), and what needed to be done closer to the date (haircut, etc). It helped to have that visual up on the wall to organize me, and in turn it calmed me! You can add things as you go.

One of the best things I did was get Peggy Huddleston's book/CD, "Prepare for Surgery/Heal Faster"; the book helped me put things in perspective and gave helpful tips and the CD helped me relax and get to sleep each night for the weeks pre-surgery.

I know you will get so much helpful feedback on here. Really, you've come to the right place and everyone will be happy to answer your questions over the coming months. It will all be OK!!
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Dear Skoshi,

With your new surgery date, it will be over and you will be on your way to recovery by the time the other later dates would have rolled around. You have less time to be overwhelmed. I'm scheduled for surgery in St.Louis on June 16, and am also experiencing all kinds of emotions, so I'm not one to calm your jitters. It is wonderful that we have people like geo, SusieBee and others who have been there and done that to guide us through.
      I plan on looking up the lists Txmarinemom prepared. I was amazed at how she channeled her anxiety into lists, projects and tasks and stayed focused.
      However, I still have to have my pre-op appt.
      Do you think we should start a May-June '08 surgery thread?

Comment

Becky--it's ok to be in lala land for a little bit while it sinks in. That's quite a lot to process-- even though you've been thinking about it, mulling over all the info, deciding you will go for it,etc.-- but to actually have the date set seems so FINAL!!!

Give yourself time to let it mellow in your mind a tiny, then get ready to start your planning. It will really help you move on and help you feel like you're getting things done. It helped me to make a calendar of my time leading up to the surgery, so I could plot in what needed to be done and by when, etc. That's just me, though. Otherwise, I would have been afraid it would all be left till the end and then I couldn't get it all done.

I ran across a really lengthy list earlier today in the archives, but now I can't find it. Yes, it was even longer than Pam's!!! It had a link to a list by Linda Racine (that I bookmarked, so I can at least find that(!) -- http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Believe me, all of you who have approaching surgeries-- this is a nerve-wracking time, but you will get through it ok. I remember (oh, so well!) flip-flopping between excitement and dread. There's no help for that, at least none that I know of. So strap yourselves in for the roller coaster ride up until your big day. And keep all the "positives" in the front of your mind! You will stop the progression, be straighter, and better able enjoy the rest of your lives. What more can you ask for?

I think a lot of people are having difficulties putting their dates on the calendar... so if you can't figure it out, I can help you--or ask someone else. The part that's been throwing people off is getting to the correct calendar-- by clicking on calendar jump and selecting the surgery/bracing calendar. After that it's pretty easy. If you get your surgery date on, then it will show up at the bottom of the forum page, just underneath today's birthdays, so will be a reminder to all of us on your special day.

Take care!!! And hang in there! The waiting time probably is the hardest part.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My list was almost 100% geared towards recovering solo ...

A dinging bell would have served NO purpose in my world, and honestly, if you need a bell to summon a caregiver, I hardly think you need to worry over a new watering can. That one confused me.

Maybe only 1/2 the items on Linda's list crossed items on mine. I'll forward to you, Becky.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies. Sorry I didn't acknowledge you all sooner, it's just been a crazy week.

I've come in off the ledge for now. I really like the calendar idea and believe it'll help keep me from feeling so scattered. I'll look for one tomorrow while I'm doing errands. It seems I remember seeing one at Office Depot that will work really well for keeping me headed in the right, direction so I'll check there.

I think part of my problem is I just haven't taken the time necessary to wrap my head around the fact that I have a date and I DO have to get everything done. I'm just so tired at the end of the day all I want to do is collapse. My pain level has really increased over the last couple of weeks, and I have to wonder if it would have anyway or if it has something to do with knowing the surgery is in sight. Ugh! I also have to muster the courage to tell my mom, who is very much opposed to surgery, that I have a date. That may require a Valium!

I know this is the right thing to do, it's just such a huge deal. I can handle anything my family throws at me, broken limbs, cuts, injuries, surgeries, but I've always been so healthy I think we're all a little confused about how to handle this. Having been in the role of caretaker for the last 25 years it's going to take some getting used to being the patient. I'm just ready to be on the other side.

I think a May-June recovery thread is a fantastic idea. I was able to add my surgery date to the calendar which totally shocked me since I'm not the most computer-savvy person around. I didn't even have to ask my 10 year old daughter for help. There's hope for me yet!

I'm so very grateful for the people here. I can't imagine how I'd get through all this without the compassion, support and knowledge I've gotten in the months since I've been here. I'm truly blessed!
            Becky, 46 years old
            Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
            Ignored until 448/07
            Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
            Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
            Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
            Fused T-10 to L-5
            14 titanium pedicle screws
            Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
            Email

Comment

Working...