Bad news from Surgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news from Surgeon

I'm not happy. I posted a while ago that I would have to go back into hospital as my bone graft hadn't taken. Well, my surgeon called me last night to tell me that the results from my CT scan are a lot worse than they initially thought. As it hasn't healed properly my spine has become unstable and has curved again above my fusion. They need to increase the length of my rod and also put another one in down the other side of my spine to stablise it. I am so dissapointed.

I was just starting to get my life back and this happens at the same time that I am due to be made redundant (the charity that I work for works on government programmes to help people into work which are only funded for a few years at a time and all ours are due to end).
    Because I am only working when I can at the moment due to the pain, we are struggling financially already. We are also due to get married in May next year. I really hope that I am recovered for then.

Sorry if this has brought you down, I just needed to get it off my chest.

Kazyn x
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Dear Kazyn-- I am so disappointed for you! Wish I could somehow give you a big long-distance hug. The timing sure isn't very good, but somehow you'll get through this and be the stronger for it. Life really isn't fair at times. There was an expression my former preacher's wife used to say-- "life's not fair, but God is good." Meaning that rotten stuff happens, but the Lord will see you through it if you ask him.

If your job position isn't renewed, will you still have insurance? I don't know what kind of system you may have there in the UK... If there will be that kind of problem, I wonder if you can talk to your surgeon and he could move the date up so you would still be insured. Just a thought.

I'd been wondering how you were doing and almost pm'd you the other day. It's good to know what's happening, but certainly it's a rough time for you. I'm thinking of you! Hang in there-- and keep us posted. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you so much Susie. I'm doing ok, I have gotten a bit more used to the idea now. I think I kind of knew deep down that it might be a bit more complex that was thought.

Luckily, with the NHS in this country, we can all access health care for free, which for people like us is fantastic.

Sorry that I hadn't replied to your PM, I have had so many things going on that it was difficult to find the time to get on here.

Kazyn x
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Glad to hear back from you... and that's a relief that the cost of the surgery won't be a problem. Hopefully your job will be renewed too. Sometimes just a little passage of time (along with some tears) helps with adjusting to bad news like that. At least that's how it's been with me sometimes. WHAM!... then after you recover from the initial impact, you pick up the pieces and start working with what you have-- and it works out ok, just differently that what you would have picked. Hang in there! And keep us posted.

PS-- of course you couldn't have responded to my pm-- I never sent one. I just said I'd been thinking of pm'ing you...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Kazyn and Susie*Bee Hang in there

Hi every one I have been gone for awhile due to computer problems.Kazyn,hang in there I know it does get very dishearting to have surgery again but I have keep saying it will keep me going,some times I don't let myself have the bad emotions because than I get depressed and sometimes that has to be a physical choice to do some thing else becide thinking(not easy at all) . To fill yall in on what is going on with me :I did see Dr.Lee in Seattle on Feb.19,08 and he told me he would do the surgery but he wanted to call around to other surgions to find the best way to deal with my spine because the degeneration is very bad also he does not know if he should straighten the curves or fuse them as is.He says I need to be patient.(NOT FUN) Also I have found Air Charity Network which was called in the past Angel Flight and they will help anyone who is in need of transportation anywhere in the U.S. for medical treatment so that is a very large weight off my shoulders and a life saver financially. So I say Keep ON Keeping ON! and Hi!! to all yall and I really did miss chatting with yall.

Comment

Alma...

It's so good to hear from you, Alma! Sorry about having computer problems... I wondered if you'd had the surgery and how things were going if so. It sounds like it's still up in the air some. Keep us posted! Take care!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Alma,
              It's wonderful to hear from you. I was kinda getting a bit worried. It's good to know that Dr. Lee will consult with other surgeons to decide whats the best way to handle your unique situation. That's great news about the flying, one thing out of the way. As always you are in my prayers. Oh, have you checked out
              sparklegirl59? she's a great kid who started a prayer thread
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
              (left open with just clear dressing)
              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Hi Kazyn,
                I just wanted to say... I had a similar situation where my curve progressed at the top of the fusion. My fusion had healed properly, this was something that occured from the surgeon not being able to get high enough up during the first surgery. So, I had a revision, and am now about 5 months post-op.

I'm sure that you will get through this big spanner thrown in the works, it really sounds like a difficult time all round right now for you.
                1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X