8 weeks post-op visit today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loves to skate
    You are amazing Pam. You have proven that it is so important to be in shape before a big surgery. I think that is why as a 68 year old, I have done as well as I have post op and was considered a good surgical candidate. I am walking up to 2 miles on some days now and feeling great most of the day. Wish I could go back to playing softball, but gave that up at age 40 because of a knee problem. That's when I discovered roller skating, which is still my goal even if it is a year from now. I wish you a wonderful active life doing all of the things you love.
    Sally
    Sally, I hope I have your joie de vivre at 68 years young . Between you and FeliciaFeliciaFelicia, I've picked my role models for a couples of decades, at least!

Life is for living ... doing what you enjoy ... without a care of judgement on your activities or attitude for what fits YOU (you only have to face yourself in the mirror each day).

I NEVER intended to take an unused, unscarred body out of this world.

Hopefully you get back to your "normal" activity levels soon. No doubt you're on your way with your attitude and "can-do" positivity .

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Things going well!

Thanks Pam for your words of encouragement! I also made my first solo trip into town- 15 miles very cautiously the other day. It was rough for me going into surgery with my father passing and having to have an angiogram beforehand.
      A positive thing is I am an inch and a quarter taller and fifteen pounds lighter.
      Everyone notices it. I've yet to go back into my classroom though. Middle-school students can be brutal!
      I need to take my camera to my next appointment. So amazed at how straight my spine is!
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Yes, postitives are good ...

CSC, I missed my Daddy a LOT as they wheeled me down the hall to O.R. - and it's been 5 years since he passed . I don't know that *ever* goes away.

You're a lucky girl with the height increase! Last I checked (at about 5 wks post op), I was 1/4" taller -LOL.

Then again, when you're 5'2" to start, does an inch or two *really* matter? I'm not sure . I'm just glad I don't hurt ... and would choose that over NO increase in my case!

Hang in there ... things will keep getting better!!
        Last edited by txmarinemom; 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM. Reason: fat fingers ... and bonus words - LOL!

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

loves to skate

Hi Pam,
          If you have joie de vivre now, and you certainly seem to, then you will have it at 68 and beyond. It's all part of your personality. I wish I had your sense of humor and your way with words. If I ever end up in a nursing home in my old age, I just hope there will be some Pams around to keep me laughing.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hah. I'll just show you the tattoo behind my knee that used to be on my hip!

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
              CSC,

I saw exactly what you meant by "white fuzzy stuff" when I compared my 3 weeks to 8 weeks x-rays (now in my sig as the " ... timeline ..." , but I also started a thread on how correction can continue for several months after surgery).

I know I wouldn't have said this (or even known what the hell it WAS ... probably, I think I'd have begged for medicine to cure it - LOL!) a year ago, but "white fuzzy stuff ROCKS!" .

Since they can see your fusion building in the lumbar region, it must bode well for the T-spine, eh? Still can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear things are healing for you!

Regards,
              Pam
              I want some "white fuzzy stuff"! Maybe my August I'll some I can show everybody!

Pam, I'm so happy for you. I'm really glad to hear how your pain has been relieved. That is by far my biggest motivator to have this surgery. I can feel myself being worn down by it, and I know I snap at my family more than usual (they have NO problem pointing that out). You give me hope!

By the way, the tattoo comment made me laugh so loud the guy next door came to my office to find out what was so funny! I just told him that he wouldn't understand!
              Last edited by skoshi314; 04-04-2008, 02:18 PM.
              Becky, 46 years old
              Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
              Ignored until 448/07
              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
              Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
              Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
              Fused T-10 to L-5
              14 titanium pedicle screws
              Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
              Email

Comment

Working...