8 weeks post-op visit today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linda W
    Congratulations on such a terrific 8 week post op visit! You are an inspiration to all of us.

In your wildest dreams did you ever imagine that your recovery would be so fast? Please tell me that you have moments when a hot shower and putting your toes up for a few minutes sounds more attractive than one of the sports you enjoy so much. I am more than grateful for the correction I have had, the relief from pain and a future to look forward to. I also wish my speed of recovery could match yours and that I was 20 years younger with even more time to enjoy the many benefits of my surgery!
    Thanks, Linda. I'm so glad you also experienced pain relief with your surgery.

Honestly, I don't recall any imagination of recovery time (you have no point of reference on what you're walking into, you know?). I can tell you my primary dream/hope before surgery was one of no pain (tough to visualize when your back's hurt since age 10!).

Of course a bubble bath and a book are high on my list of enjoyed activities - and always have been! I just got a huge laugh thinking it sounded like I had some schedule from dusk 'til dawn of go-go-go(!).

As I mentioned to Mary Lou on the shotgun question, just because I have been released to do some things other doctors aren't comfortable with (and we all know they're different), Hanson is counting on the fact I'm not going to go from 0-60 geting back INTO things I haven't done in a few months.

The biggest concern when I DO return to ball in June isn't going to be my back. Just like anyone who jumps into a sport without training their body, the bigger concern will be things like a quad/calf muscle pull, a rotator cuff injury, etc (i.e., NORMAL stuff). My primary focus between now and June will be stretching and strengthening: I just happen to have a little more lattitude in ways I can stretch and strengthen after yesterday.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

My report-8 weeks

Hello all!
      I've been going to report on my 8 week post-op appointment. Pam's post gave me the incentive. Such good news for you, Pam!
      We were just thrilled to see the xrays. It looks so straight!! Forgot to ask the correction- so thrilled. The good news was that I am starting to fuse in the lumbar region. You can see the white fuzzy stuff around the screws. Not so much in the upper levels. The restrictions are still in place except for driving. So I have some freedom! Yay!
      Everything seems to be moving slowly. This surgery does indeed teach you the meaning of patience. I'm still on pain medication- although I'm gradually being weaned off it. I read someone describing this healing sensation as " having a stack of books on your book." The p.a. that saw me said that since I'm fairly thin that I feel it more than some.
      She was glad that I'm walking a half a mile a day and holding myself straight.
      Very positive news for my husband and me!
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Yay, CSC!

That's fantastic on the fusion, CSC ... I'm so happy for you !

Keep up the walking (I'm a BIG believer in it now ;-). Aside from working out all the "kinks" (it eliminated the weird sciatic nerve type pain I had after surgery that meds didn't even *touch*), it builds your endurance, and actually helps fusion/build bone mass as a mild form of weight bearing exercise.

I recall things were tough for you in the beginning, and how wonderful they're looking up! YAY!

Best regards,
        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
          Pool time consists of swimming (if I feel motivated), but my preferred activity is lounging on a float with a tasty beverage. ;-)
          Gee, Pam - after seeing the list of things you were allowed to do (lifting weights, shooting a shotgun, fishing, softball) - I'm glad to FINALLY see something I can relate to - lounging by the pool with a tasty beverage!

Now at least if I ever get to Texas we'll have something to do!
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks, Pam!

Thanks Pam for the encouragement! I was a very active person before the surgery. Miss all those things. I've found that keeping a positive attitude is so important with this surgery. After getting home from the hospital, I've always gotten up each morning, gotten dressed- ready to face the day!
            You're right though Maria- lounging around the pool with a drink does sound wonderful. I've been so good tho- no adult type beverages in over two months!!
            CSC
            Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
            S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Congrats on the good report, Pam. No surprise. However, this city-kid-artist-in-my-studio-gardening-reading-person considers the list of things you're cleared to do as almost a foreign language! I'm part of a large family of dedicated sports nuts, and my ignorance of *most* sports is well-known, and I get teased incessantly about it. (Don't tell them, but I purposely say dumb comments to make them laugh, i.e., What's a 600 series in bowling? Two 300 games, of course!)

For me, walking is fine, esp. when it's somewhere I can commune with nature. So have fun, but rest assured you won't see me out there!

And yes, I agree that people with fusions further down the lumbar or to the sacrum will have a few more restrictions. But that doesn't take away from the good shape Pam was in beforehand and the wonderful recovery she's having afterward. Good on ya!
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Felicia-- I truly had no intention of taking anything away from Pam's recovery. She's worked hard and done well, both before and after-- and that's great.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

loves to skate

You are amazing Pam. You have proven that it is so important to be in shape before a big surgery. I think that is why as a 68 year old, I have done as well as I have post op and was considered a good surgical candidate. I am walking up to 2 miles on some days now and feeling great most of the day. Wish I could go back to playing softball, but gave that up at age 40 because of a knee problem. That's when I discovered roller skating, which is still my goal even if it is a year from now. I wish you a wonderful active life doing all of the things you love.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
                    Felicia-- I truly had no intention of taking anything away from Pam's recovery. She's worked hard and done well, both before and after-- and that's great.
                    Oh, Susie - absolutely nothing was intended with my post! I'm sorry if it came across that way.
                    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Good thing my vocation is singing -- all I have to do is stand in one spot and breathe !!!!!! lol

However, I do love walking as well and I agree that it's excellent for healing from this surgery.

Congratulations on your good report, csc.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Glad you had such a good appt. Hope everything continues to go well and I know you're looking forward to being Normal again. I go to the doctor next week for my 2 month. Hope I get good news too. Good luck to you, you seem to be doing wonderfully I meant to find out when I could shoot guns too. I didn't realize it might be this early, you just gave me hope that having a life might be sooner than anticipated
                        Last edited by kdawn; 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM.

Comment

My congrats.

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                          . . . since I started taking him deer hunting in Allegheny Cty, PA
                          Pam! Did you know that Western PA is my original home? I always freak out when I hear people talking about deer hunting in TX. I'm sure you understand the difference.

You didn't mention the x-rays. Any taller, comp curves straighter yet?

Originally posted by Singer
                          Good thing my vocation is singing -- all I have to do is stand in one spot and breathe !
                          Singer--Don't downplay the respiratory benefits of singing. The only thing harder is walking and singing at the same time.

p

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO
                            Pam! Did you know that Western PA is my original home? I always freak out when I hear people talking about deer hunting in TX. I'm sure you understand the difference.

You didn't mention the x-rays. Any taller, comp curves straighter yet?
                            LOL! I did NOT know that, PC, and YES, there is a HUGE difference.

I no longer hunt with rifles, from tree stands in Texas after hunting in Gibsonia. Of course herds need to be culled to prevent disease (basic wildlife maintenance), but it's hardly sporting to shoot an animal where you've trained them to feed.

My $.02 on that .

I'm putting together side by side A/P films from pre-op, 3 weeks post-op, and yesterday - 8 weeks post op. I'll post those soon.

Compensatory curves are falling out. I forgot to get measured ... AGAIN!

(argh!)

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam,

Someone had to ask about the shotgun. My daughter is 3 years post-op and killed her first deer this past year! She was so proud of herself! Jamie and her dad both shot deer that day, but Jamie shot her's first and her deer was bigger than her dad's, and trust me, she hasn't let him live it down!

And who says just because you are over a certain age, you have to stop diving into the pool? Sure, it'll mess up your hair, you'll have to make sure the top to your bikini is in place before resurfacing but.....okay, I like your idea of floating while enjoying a beverage.

Mary Lou
                              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by csc
                                ... The good news was that I am starting to fuse in the lumbar region. You can see the white fuzzy stuff around the screws.
                                CSC,

I saw exactly what you meant by "white fuzzy stuff" when I compared my 3 weeks to 8 weeks x-rays (now in my sig as the " ... timeline ..." , but I also started a thread on how correction can continue for several months after surgery).

I know I wouldn't have said this (or even known what the hell it WAS ... probably, I think I'd have begged for medicine to cure it - LOL!) a year ago, but "white fuzzy stuff ROCKS!" .

Since they can see your fusion building in the lumbar region, it must bode well for the T-spine, eh? Still can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear things are healing for you!

Regards,
                                Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                                X