8 weeks post-op visit today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 weeks post-op visit today ...

I saw Hanson today for my 7 weeks post-op visit (which just happened to be at 8 weeks ... to the day. My surgery was 2/5/08.)

I can:

- Run in 2 weeks

- Bend, lift and twist without many limitations. If it hurts, don't do it. We both said "duh!" simultaneously. He told me lifting weights is fine, just don't do something silly like right now like pick up 100 lbs.

- Swim

- Do gentle yoga

- Use my balance ball for crunches (both front and obliques), leg work, etc., (pretty much everything but do a backbend on it)

- Return to softball in early June

- Return to golf in early June

- Saltwater fish (heavier and deeper water fish) in a month. Shallow flats - and game like speckled trout are okay now.

- Shoot my shotgun (trap, skeet, and rifled slugs at the range)

Life's shaping up and acting more like "life"!

Regards,
    Pam
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Congrats! sounds like an excellent post-op visit. Great that your released to do so much! Hope all continues to go well -

Renee

Comment

WOW! he's letting you do a lot! Please let me know how running goes when (or if) you get to it. I love to run now, and it really bums me out not being able to do it for so long! He's really letting you lift weights? I was told no more than 10 pounds for a year!? That's really exciting if he thinks that you are healing well enough to get back to your old self or begin to.
      aBbiE
      22 yr old F,KU college student
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

Hey Pam,

Glad you've been given the "go ahead" to return to so many activites. He must think you are healing really well.

Great news!
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

yay!!!! fantastic news!!
          28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
          1998 22T/20L
          2002 30T/28L
          2006 34T/28L
          2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
            WOW! he's letting you do a lot! Please let me know how running goes when (or if) you get to it. I love to run now, and it really bums me out not being able to do it for so long! He's really letting you lift weights? I was told no more than 10 pounds for a year!? That's really exciting if he thinks that you are healing well enough to get back to your old self or begin to.
            Abbie, it just goes to show you how different surgeons are. Mine did his SRS fellowship under your surgeon - lol .

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Way to Go, Pam!

Pam,

Congratulations on such a terrific 8 week post op visit! You are an inspiration to all of us.

In your wildest dreams did you ever imagine that your recovery would be so fast? Please tell me that you have moments when a hot shower and putting your toes up for a few minutes sounds more attractive than one of the sports you enjoy so much. I am more than grateful for the correction I have had, the relief from pain and a future to look forward to. I also wish my speed of recovery could match yours and that I was 20 years younger with even more time to enjoy the many benefits of my surgery!

Linda W.
              Linda
              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

WooHoo Pam!!
                I am SO happy to hear of your great report - although I guess at this point my expectations for you are so high that I am not shocked.
                You have amazed me throughout!!
                -Cara
                Cara, Mom to Nathan
                Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
                Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
                VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
                Dr. Hresko
                40 Degrees before VBS
                11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Fantastic! I'm so excited that you'll be able to move ahead!

I had no idea you were involved in such a wide variety of activities. And I'm just excited about getting a little taller! We all give up certain activities due to our challenge, and being able to return to them is wonderful. I just really hope my doc says I can return to everything except weedeating, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms and dusting. Oh, yea, and laundry. All seem way to dangerous to do post-surgery!

CONGRATULATIONS! Your hard work and positive attitude paid off!
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                  Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                  Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                  Fused T-10 to L-5
                  14 titanium pedicle screws
                  Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                  Email

Comment

WOW! I'm shocked that you've been given the go ahead to do so much so soon! It just goes to show that every patient and every doctor are different. My daughter wasn't allowed to shoot her gun for a full year. I'm just curious, did you ask him if you are allowed to dive into the pool? Again, that was something (diving and jumping into the pool) my daughter wasn't allowed to do for a full year.

I'm so happy for you and your great recovery. Remember to take it easy at times and ease into your normal activities.

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Congratulations, Pam!

I am also surprised that so many restrictions are being lifted so quickly .... but I do think that the higher the fusion, the better, in terms of post-op pain, mobility, and healing.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
                        It just goes to show that every patient and every doctor are different. My daughter wasn't allowed to shoot her gun for a full year. I'm just curious, did you ask him if you are allowed to dive into the pool? Again, that was something (diving and jumping into the pool) my daughter wasn't allowed to do for a full year.

I'm so happy for you and your great recovery. Remember to take it easy at times and ease into your normal activities.
                        Mary Lou,

LMAO! Since you're the only one who asked about the shotgun, here's the deal ...

(I'm not even sure Hanson thinks *anything* I ask him anymore is odd ... ;-))

I have several shotguns. In particular, I have a pair of 1100's I prefer. The 20 ga. was my 9th birthday present from my Dad, the 12 ga. was his, bought the same day, and was given to me (to match the pair) when he died in 2003.

My 20 ga. isn't ported, but it does have the stock cut down - and a 1" waffle pad.

I've also been shooting long enough (I started hunting dove with my Dad when I was big enough to hold a shotgun) and I've been shooting THIS gun in particular, long enough I barely feel a kick.

Would I shoot clays all day with it at this point? Nah. Would I hunt using the 12 ga. at this point? Nah (it kicks a LOT more, and the stock length makes it tough to get a proper hold to prevent kick).

Hanson is counting on the fact I do have some common sense on this - AND some of the other things on my list.

My son comes home on leave 4/25, and one of the things he loves to do (always has since I started taking him deer hunting in Allegheny Cty, PA) is take the shotguns, a ton of rifled slugs, and shoot 100 yd targets. He finds that far more challenging than blowing out the center with an M4 rifle every single time ... just because you can. I specifically asked about the shotgun because this is something Jett and I will want to do in the next few weeks

And, no - LOL ... I did not ask about diving into a pool. I may do some (apparently) odd things for a 39 year old woman, but I DO have my limits ...

Pool time consists of swimming (if I feel motivated), but my preferred activity is lounging on a float with a tasty beverage. ;-)

Regards,
                        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Yes Pam, congratulations on receiving the go-ahead for so much. That must be very exciting for you! Have fun returning to some of your outdoorsy pursuits!

Singer-- you are right in thinking the lower lumbars require heightened restrictions... I ran across an interesting presentation by Dr. Boachie on the internet that mentions that, along with lumbar stenosis and ddd, if I remember right. Let me know if you want the link and I'll pm it to you.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Susie -- I have already watched (and obsessively rewatched, lol) every dang thing that Boachie has on the internet!!
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Singer-- of course! But this isn't a video presentation, it's a written one. It's probably also somewhere as a video...
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                              X