Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Stimulator Use

Hello Folks,

I forgot to mention that I have also been given a bone stimulator that i am to wear 2 hours daily for probably the next 6 months. Has anyone had experience with this and any adverse side effects, did you find it to be effective in helping to heal the fusion? I have a Orthofix Spinal Stim, bone growth stimulator which is a noninvasive electromagnetic bone growth stimulator indicated as a spinal fusion adjunct to increase the probability of fusion success. Any experience?

Thanks,

LJ

LJ,

I use one for 30 minutes once a day, but it sounds like a similar devise. My doctor told me there are no adverse side effects, and I am to use it until I am 6 months post op (June 3). My understanding of it is that the electromagnetic current stimulates the cells that grown bone (osteophites?) so they are more productive.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Bone Growth Stimulator

Hi LJ,

I have been wearing an Orthofix stimulator since mid July. It looks like two blue padded picture frames connected by black wide band elastic on the sides and with a white plastic gizmo at the top front that looks like a smiling panda face and keeps track of the 4 hours I need to wear it each day. I plug it in each night to recharge. The company representative who delivered it and demonstrated its use told me to "just wear it under my clothes". He was clearly male and clueless if he thought you could wear it under your clothes! For the first four months, I had to wear it with my "iron maiden brace" which made it bulky and somewhat uncomfortable. It also made a true fashion statement.

I have become used to it and now wear it with an elastic wrap around support. It is painless, provides a little extra support and reminds me not to bend or twist. I do get a double take from most folks when they first see it, and I am frequently ask what it is and how it works. Sometimes I hear it beep when I am on a cell phone or close to a lot of metal, i.e. my stove, refrigerator, a metal door, etc. It also tends to beep at the supermarket scanner and the credit card machine at the register. I have, on occasion, had to open my coat and tell a frighted clerk that it was unnecessary to hit the security alarm because it is just my magnet.

My official 9 month check up is soon, and I hope to be able to discontinue its use or possibly reduce the amount of time I wear it. The use of the magnet is becoming more wide spread and used with all sorts of fractures. We just happen to be the trend setters. Wear it in good health and know that it is helping your fusion become more stable.

Linda W.
      Linda
      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

loves to skate

Hi,
        I was told to use mine for 4 hours/day, absolute minimum of 2 hours/day for up to 9 months. From what I was told and the instructions included in the box, anything less that 2 hours a day just isn't going to do the job. I wear mine faithfully every day for 4 hours because after all I've been through, I don't want to take any chances that a fusion won't take place. Maybe age has something to do with the time necessary to achieve a fusion. It's awkward and bulky but there is no pain involved except for it being a pain in the butt to wear it.
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
        X