Surgery dates are looming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery dates are looming

First part (anterior) is on the 14th and the posterior or as my doc referred to it yesterday "the tough one" is on the 18th. . He is having a vascular surgeon do the "exposure" on my flank that will curve around to the front. Then he will go in and loosend the screws and other stuff. Then on Friday, he will refuse from T5 to S1. Right now I am T3 - L5. Get ready to laugh....I asked him that since he was going to take the screws and stuff out earlier in the week, wouldn't my back collapse if I tried to stand up say on Wednesday. He laughed. Probably thought "and she works in the health field?"

Uhhh, where exactly is my flank? thanks, Krysi

Hi Krysi..

I think the flank usually refers to the rib area. My incision started about 3-4" to the left of my spine, about an inch above my waist. It ends on my abdomen, below my ribs on the left.

I don't think it's that funny that you thought your spine might collapse. I thought that exact same thing. My surgeon doesn't get his patients up between surgeries (although I had mine on the same day), so for a long time, I just assumed that it was too dangerous.

Best of luck with your surgeries!

-Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dear Krysi-- are your surgeries this month-- or next? I'm afraid my memory isn't so great! I didn't see them on the calendar. I'm assuming this month though.

Your flank is your side, so Linda is right in saying your rib area. It is hard looking "forward" to the surgeries, but soon they will be behind you, and you will be all fixed up! I'll be thinking of you and praying for successful surgeries followed by a smooth and relatively quick recovery. Hugs.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Flank?

In the medical field, flank usually means the fleshy sides of the waist-below the ribs.
        Below is the dictionary definition:

http://aolsvc.merriam-webster.aol.com/dictionary/flank
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Dalmatica,
          I hope your surgery goes well, and hopefully this time it will be the last and final one! Revisions suck, but it looks like you are doing well with getting in shape for it and have a good attitude going in. Keep us posted! Soon you'll have the final verdict on where exactly your flank is!
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you all! I have tried several times to put my surgery dates on the calender but it says that I am blocked from doing that. I'm not the most computer literate person around but I did try.

I can't believe the number of non-scoli people who have been saying to me "aren't you getting scared yet?" What a stupid question!

My big fear is that I sure hope I don't go through withdrawal from the Oxy while on IV pain meds. That is really my only fear at this time. I did mention it to my doc the other day and he was not real clear about what he was planning to do about that.

The other fear is that I wake up on a vent. I told him that if that happens I want the new drug that makes you unaware of it. He told me that he didn't think I would be on one after surgery but you never know with one/two this long.

Comment

Krysdi, I would think (I could be wrong) that the post-op IV painkillers would trump the Oxy withdrawal -- I had Dilaudid in my pain pump and was in la-la land for a couple of days.

Regarding the vent, I was told that since I would be waking up with it after my 9-hour surgery, they would keep me in a "twilight state" so it wouldn't scare me. And that's exactly what happened: I specifically remember feeling around the inside of my mouth with my tongue and thinking: "oh, that must be the vent" -- and going back to sleep. I also remember my husband wiping tears from my eyes (not from crying, just from the vent and surgery) while I couldn't talk to him bvecause of the vent but not being alarmed about it. And believe me, I'm the kind of person who WOULD have been alarmed if I had been all there. I also remember the vent being pulled out of my mouth and throat. It didn't hurt and I wasn't aware of anything else.

My memories of the first days after surgery are just like memories of a dream: just bits and pieces and lots of blank spaces in between.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I think the first few hours after your surgery you don't remember because you are in such a fog. My partner (which here FYI means long term boyfriend!) said that they had a hard time gettin on top of my pain in recovery, but I don't remember thank god. Also, I have worked in ICU for years and most patients there are ventilated, but tolerate it really well. You may not even be aware of it because of all the sedation. However, if you are awake when you have it just try and relax and remember that it is temporary. If you're wide awake with a breathing tube you should be good enough to have it removed! Maybe plan ahead some relaxation imagery that you would do in that situation. I was a bit worried about that too, so decided to imagine that I was snorkelling... cos of the tube. I love diving and water sports, so that would have worked for me if I was in that situation.

The 'are you getting scared yet' thing is so weird, I watch tv of people getting boob jobs and saying how scared they are, and how deformed they feel having small boobs. I just want to scream at them and say, that's a freaking choice you have! Don't do it if you're scared! I would swap small boobs for scoliosis any day!
                1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I've been blessed with both...small boobs and scoliosis.

Comment

Dear Krysi,

I wish you the very best for a successful surgery and as smooth recovery as possible. We will anxiously await your recovery posts to hear how you're doing. The Best.

Dear Singer and nzgirl,
                    Thank you for the information about the vent. That is very reassuring. I worried about that as I probably will have one for my surgery. It is great to hear from those who have been there.

Comment

Hi, Krysi-
                      Thanks so much for sharing about your upcoming revision surgery. Mine is coming up too (April 8) and it helps to read about someone else in this boat. I am glad to hear the helpful advice about waking up with a vent. I don't remember if I asked that question during my last appointment so I will be sure to ask on Monday. God bless, and best of luck with your procedures.
                      ~Tricia

P.S. I couldn't post my surgery date on the calendar, either, but I thought it was because I am new.
                      Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                      Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                      Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                      www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
                        I've been blessed with both...small boobs and scoliosis.
                        Me too ... and surgery corrected both - LOL!
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Good luck Trish!

I just read your post - haven't been on in awhile..
                          Good lock on your 4/8 surgery! We will all be rooting for you!
                          Luann

Comment

Originally posted by trishthedish
                            P.S. I couldn't post my surgery date on the calendar, either, but I thought it was because I am new.
                            What?? Is the surgical calendar goofed again? If you guys will PM me your dates, I'll try it. If it doesn't work, it should be reported again ...
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Such a dork =)

I think the surgery calendar is really fine...this was just operator error. SusieBee PM'd me and walked me through it.

Thank you, Luann. Those good wishes are mightily appreciated
                              Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                              Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                              Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                              www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X