Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good-bye Friends

Dear Friends,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I decided to post where it all began right here on the bracing thread. After over 2 years on this forum I have decided to say good-bye for now. NSF was once a great source of comfort to me, but unfortunately that is no longer the case. I have experienced some emotional upset over the past few days that I would like to keep private.

Please know that when I first came on here devastated about my little girl's scoliosis, you got me through those early years. Later when my greatest fear came true, you got me through the darkest days of surgery.

You have been an inspiration and a blessing. If it were not for this forum, I honestly don't know how I could have made it through the worst nightmare of my life.

Please, please keep in touch with e-mails and phone calls. I still need you. Unfortunately I am still not over this and find myself still crying at times when I think about Nicole.

I believe leaving this forum for now will be the best thing for me. I think I have escaped on here many times when I should be doing housework, spending time with my husband and kids, or looking to get more hours for my job (special education teacher).

Please send anyone my way if they are facing spinal fusion for their child. Helping others always makes me feel better. I really hope that I have been as much help to some of you as you have been to me.

I am going to try to get on with my life and possibly by stepping away from this forum, I will be able to do that. I plan on returning when Nicole is one year post op.

I wish all of you and your beautiful children the best of health. God bless all of you. Thanks again for everything. I love you guys.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Melissa--I've clicked on reply twice now, but don't know what to say. I always look forward to your pearls of wisdom and caring thoughts that you share. I do understand about how it gets to be a bit addicting, reading and posting... and how absorbed we can get. You know best what is right for you, and right now you need to enjoy your family and your life. Just keep us posted now and then with how it's going for you -- and what all Nicole is up to doing, etc. You've been an anchor here and will be missed. Big hug-- Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

You'll be missed
      2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
      surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
      Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
      5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
      6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
      (left open with just clear dressing)
      6/6/08 recleaned and closed
      3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

You've been an inspiration, Melissa, and continue to be. Thank you for everything.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Melissa

I'm sorry to hear you're going but understand completely. You were such a huge help to me since Sheena's surgery came after Nicole's. I knew almost every step of the way what to expect and you were always there for me when things were so difficult. Let's continue to keep in touch. Even though the circumstances are not what we would wish for, I'm glad our paths crossed.

Take care.

Comment

Hi Melissa,
            Although I certainly respect your decision to leave, I can't help but feel extremely sad about it.

6 months ago I stumbled onto this forum and you were the first person that I befriended. I was so scared, confused and an emotional wreck. The thought of my son having a spinal fusion was terrifying. Over the next several months, you were a constant source of comfort, encouragement and support through some of the darkest days of my life. I couldn't have done it without you. Through many frantic emails, you gave me much needed advice and answered all of my silly questions. I knew that I could always count on you to be there for me. Always. When I felt completely overwhelmed with sadness, you picked me up, dusted me off, and calmed me down. You reassured me that I would get through this and so would Chris and everything really would be ok. Needless to say, you were right. I don't think there's really an adequate way to say thank you for all that you have done for me. You are a wonderful, caring person with a big heart and I'll always be grateful to you for being there for me.

Although we've never "met", I feel like I have found a friend for life in you. Our bond is a unique one and I will always treasure that. You will be greatly missed on this forum and it won't be the same without you.

Big hugs to you Melissa,
            Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
            Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
            Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Melissa:
              I have sent you an email.
              Ruth
              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Melissa,

You know how I feel about your departure, your going to be truly missed by many on the forums. BIG cyber hugs to you!!!!

But.... the good news is..... Nicole is 6 months post - op and that means YAYYYYYY only 6 more months and YOUR BACK!!!!!

Cyber hugs
                Del
                Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                Sydney - Australia
                Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Melissa, I am very sorry to hear you are leaving the boards. I wish Nicole all the best and look forward to hearing wonderful things about how she is doing when you come back. (we'll be happy to see you if you decide to come back before her 1 year anniversary!)

Take care!!!
                  daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                  -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                  -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                  -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

I wish you the best

I too understand where you are coming from. Please stay in touch and email.
                    Shirley
                    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

I, too, will miss your posts. While I haven't been on this board as long as you, I have certainly gone through the feelings and experiences that you have so elegantly expressed. Our daughters surgeries were quite close to each other, and I hope that I may have helped you at times as much as your posts have helped me. Your worries and questions so often mirrored my own down this road that we have had to travel. You always had kind words and support for everyone. These forums have answered so many of my questions, but also made me ask so many more than I would have thought of in the first place.

I haven't been on the board too often lately, just now and then, because life outside of scoliosis does begin to catch up with you. I am truly sorry to hear, but totally understand, your need to take a break from these boards.

I wish you and Nichole the best, and will be thinking of you. Good luck to you both!
                      Last edited by emma12; 04-04-2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X