Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15yo boy, 60*,NO pain, is surgery now right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALL I GOT TO SAY IS READ MY POST AND I THINK ULL GET MY OPINIOON haha. DONT WORRy duuude. swimbum is the user :]. if u have questions just ask me
    17 yr old guy
    swimmer
    55* thoracic curve
    42* lumbar curve
    severe trunk shift to the right
    surgery date: Feb. 26 2008
    Fused T4-L1
    Now Trunk shift is GONE
    CURVES less than 10 degrees!

Comment

Are you happy? Tell me more. How has your recovery been so far? Details, details. Or have you posted your info under another thread that you can refer me to?
      Thanks, flowergardenj

Comment

putting off surgery

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this forum. I love hearing about all of your experiences. Everyone is so helpful. I have a 16 yr old daughter who was braced 2 years ago. I cant remember how long she wore it but she was about 20 thoracic and 41 loumbar before and after bracing. two years later she is 30 thoracic and 55 lumbar (we just got this news). She feels great, no pain or problems regarding the back. Of course the doctor talked about surgery. The problem is, she is a competitive swimmer. She swims 6 days a week, 2 to 3 hours a day and loves it. She has been swimming for about 8 years and plans to continue to swim in college. I hate to take this away from her. Swimming would be out if she had surgery. She couldnt swim for a year, couldnt do flip turns, etc. We are going for a second opinion (surgeon) and also have appt next week with a dr of orthoscience. Also she has 8mm leg length discrepancy and I dont know if any correction in this area would help.
        I'd love feedback. Any ideas?

Comment

swimbum, how do i read your post

Comment

Hi Sue!

Sue--You can find and read all of swimbum's posts if you click on his name that's at the top of his post on this thread-- next to the circle that is colored green if the person is online. When you click, you'll get some choices, one of which is "find all posts..." If you click on that, it will provide you with access to all the posts he's written, with the most recent being listed first. The one he is talking about is the next one down from this, I think, if you go back to the index for this surgery forum-- it's "just checking inn haha" or something like that...

You can also send him a PM (personal message)-- they limit us (for some strange reason!) to 1,000 characters in a PM, so if you have very many questions, you may need to break it up into more than one PM. Or just let him know you have questions and maybe you can email back and forth.

Also-- welcome to the forum and best wishes with your daughter! And remember that swimbum recovered a lot quicker than many of the kids. You can kind of get a feel for it by reading some of the posts in this surgery forum for adolescents. Everyone is different!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thak you for your help. I'm still confused but I will catch on soon! Thanks, Sue

Comment

Sue,

I wouldn't rule out competitive swimming just because your daughter has surgery. My daughter didn't become a competitive swimmer until she was about 2 years post-op. Jamie can't do flip turns, she can't bend over and grab the front of the starting block and she isn't allowed to nor is she able to do the butterfly. Jamie's fusion is very long-T3-L2- and I know that has a lot to do with what she can and cannot do. Jamie wasn't allowed to dive or jump into a pool until she was 1 year post-op, however, I've read on this forum or another one that some kids are back to swimming a few months after surgery. This doesn't mean they were swimming competitively, but they are still swimming which might help her keep her body strong and in shape for when she could return to competing.

Good luck.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My daughter had no pain but surgery was necessary due to the rapid progression of her curve in less than two years. She had brain surgery in Dec 2006 and was allowed to swim within a month or so, and was swimming competitively before, and training after. She had to go for spinal surgery in Aug 2007. She had a very quick recovery and seems to be quicker than most I have known. She had many restrictions, but went to school full time 3 1/2 weeks after surgery. She was swimming (not competitive) within 4 months, but was given approval to swim casually before that. She hasn't gone back to compete yet, by choice, not due to her back. She does swim and can do flip turns, and plans to return to competitive swimming in August, and was given full clearance by her doctor to do anything at her 6 months the end of January. Now she isn't allowed to do the trampoline, and she won't do bumpy wooden rollercoasters, but she has ridden the big Six Flags rollercoasters recently. We and she were conservative and didn't do anything without doctor approval, but she is doing great. She absolutely needed surgery both times, and we have no regrets on surgery. We of course wish we didn't have to, but really had a huge positive outcome. My daughter is even happy with her results to her posture and self image has improved. She doesn't even seem real upset about the long scar, even though the top is wide due to keloid scarring it is also darker. She said that she will just have to get used to it as there is nothing she can do about it. Now that was very surprising to here from her. Now when she wears a swimsuit in the summer where her friends see, and when she starts back on swim team, she may be a little nervous with questions, but seems to be trying to deal well with it. Best wishes and you can PM me anytime. oh also, she says it felt different to swim but no pain just odd. Of course as she is now straight and her form was different with a curved back, as her back was noticable to us by sight by surgery time. She said she got used to that stiffness and lossened up. She said she can't do butterfly, but couldn't do it before, and we never pushed it before or after when we found she had scoliosis as we wondered if it restrcted her movement for that stroke. Hope something here helps.
                  Last edited by Mom37; 04-12-2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: add
                  Shirley
                  Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Shirley,

Our daughters sound so much alike! Like your daughter, Jamie never had pain. Her curve didn't want to stop progressing even after she was done growing, and therefore, we didn't have much choice about whether or not to have her surgery done. She has never regretted her surgery. She too is very pleased with her surgical results.

I hope that your daughter won't mind her scar, even in a bathing suit. Jamie's scar is also wide at the top and is I'd say, a medium shape of pink where the rest of the scar is a fine thin white line. For the first summer after surgery, she refused to wear a bikini only because of me telling her she needed to wear a shirt over top to protect the scar, with of course tons of sun tan lotion. What she chose to do that summer was to wear a one piece suit that had a piece of material that ran down the middle of her back and covered all but the very top of her scar. Now that the scar is well healed, she only wears a bikini unless she is at swim practice or a meet.

She has learned that by people seeing her scar, she can actually get the word out about Scoliosis. During her first post-op summer in a bikini, she was in the ocean playing and a little boy, about 10 y.o., asked her what happened to her back. I asked her what she said. She said, I told him the truth. What else would I tell him? I said, oh, I don't know, maybe since you were standing in the ocean, you would have told him you were attacked by a shark?! I was happy to know that she was ok with her new back and people questioning her about it.

Your daughter will do just fine.

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Mary Lou,

I am trying to encourage a suit that covers the scar. Of course that is not the most stylish, and really have just seen a basic racing suit. She isn't too thrilled, but I told her it really needs to be covered as much as possible from the sun, or wear something over her suit. She chose a nice one piece racing suit, but it has the straps more to the sides and a hole in the middle of the back, so it hardly covers the spine. I told her that was fine for indoor swimming, but that we need to cover her spine with more than sunscreen. Well, she didn't say much, so we will see when we shop for one for the outdoors. My daughter has never been much for bikinis, but didn't have much choice for swim team anyway. Now for fun with her friends it is going to be a bigger deal the older she gets on the style. Fashion is becoming a factor. I am so glad your daughter is comfortable with it. Jamie sounds like she is taking it in stride. I hope that will be the case and continue with my daughter. Thanks for the response.
                      Last edited by Mom37; 04-26-2008, 11:20 PM. Reason: add
                      Shirley
                      Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
                      X