Side Shift Exercises for Idiopathic Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Shift Exercises for Idiopathic Scoliosis

Has anyone heard of Side Shift exercises for idiopathic scoliosis? Here are a couple of links:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u8c5d80y3dl9b8j4/

http://proceedings.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/c...-B/SUPP_I/22-d

I have more information if anyone wants it but can't post on here because the files are too big. This information was sent to me by Martha Hawes.

Ruth
    Last edited by rtremb; 03-23-2008, 03:08 AM.
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

I would love more information... reading the abstract on the second link you posted seems like something I have been doing for a very long time... My curve is to the left in the lumbar (if you look at me from behind it would be a C curve just as a C looks). I shift my torso to the right to visually even out my hips/sides so that people cannot see the curve (I have been doing so because I am very self conscious about it).

If the files are too big to send the PM let me know and I'll give you my email address.

Thank you!!

Comment

I'm confused. My daughter has the same lumbar curve, Thoracic 30 and lumbar 55. Wouldnt you want to try to bend the opposite way against the curve?

Comment

Sue - I can send you the articles if you like but can't put them on the forum because they are too big. Just PM me if you want them with your email address.
        Ruth
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Sue- I can't speak for the thoratic part or even that clearly on the articles but from experience I can explain "what to do." I have a left lumbar curve (25ish degrees). When I stand "at ease" without flexing any muscles you can see my curve- my waist extends past my left hip, etc. However I try to imagine pulling up my rib cage and elongating my spine and I think flex my left abdominal and back muscles to "push" my left lower spine to the center. My PT also taught me instead of lifting to simply push down on my right hip to shift my back more towards the center without having to lift so much in the ribs. The best thing I can compare what I do to would be belly dancing in the sense that they leave their legs and upper body centered and shift their lower torso to the right and left.

As I said I did not understand the article completely- if anyone can put it in lamens terms I would greatly appreciate it- but based on the concept of side shift I do that in my everyday life to try to hide the curve. And the above is what I do in order to make myself appear straight. Maybe I should take pictures and post it or something so people could see what I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by rtremb
            Has anyone heard of Side Shift exercises for idiopathic scoliosis? Here are a couple of links:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u8c5d80y3dl9b8j4/

http://proceedings.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/c...-B/SUPP_I/22-d

I have more information if anyone wants it but can't post on here because the files are too big. This information was sent to me by Martha Hawes.

Ruth
            Please send me this information to Btorres3380@sbcglobal,net.

Comment

hi ruth,

can you send me the file as well? my email is in my profile.. thanks

Comment

Working...
              X