Latest update on Kimmie (ca-native)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest update on Kimmie (ca-native)

At 11:15 p.m. CST (just a few minutes ago), Elaine sent another update. Kimmie is doing well .

Regards,
    Pam
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Hello Everyone,

Kim is resting comfortably in ICU with a 1:1 nurse assigned to her, so I decided to spend Thursday night in the hotel to hopefully get some sleep. On Friday I’ll probably move into the hospital 24/7 to be with Kim because (hopefully) she’ll be moved out of ICU and into the regular ortho unit.

Shortly after she was placed in ICU, they did an echocardiogram (ultrasound) of her heart. We haven’t heard back from the cardiologist so I figure this is a “no news is good news” event because if something is really wrong I figure they would have told us right away since she was in ICU. This might be a situation that we may never now what caused the slowing of her heartbeat and blood pressure to drop during her surgery. This event is something that I will definitely need to make note of and let doctors know if she should ever have to go under general anesthesia again.

Tomorrow they’ll probably “cast her” so they can create the brace that brace she’ll wear post-op. We’ll see how that goes.

They put her on a morphine pain pump and she looked like she was resting pretty comfortably when I left; her color was very good. Then again she has a pretty powerful narcotic onboard. I’m looking forward to when she can be more alert and back to her old “Kimmy” self. I’m just not used to a calm Kim!

On a final note, the Scoliosis Coordinator from the doctors office dropped off a copy of her pre-op x-ray and a copy of her post-op x-ray. Her back is so much straighter! I can’t believe the difference; the doctor must have gotten the curve down from 55 degrees to 20 degrees, perhaps even less. Very cool…

That’s all for now, I’ll keep you posted on how she’s doing on Friday.

Take care,
    Elaine
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

I'm so glad that Kimmie is now doing better and recovering relatively comfortably.
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
    X