Screaming blue murder!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming blue murder!!!!!

Ahhh - that got all your attention didn't it. It's the long Easter Weekend - raining miserable weather (they predict ALL weekend - then SURPIRSE! -Sunshine for Tuesday! Just in time for work) so I'm bored and online!!!!!

If Elysia screams one more time........ I'M GOING TO KILL HER!!!!!

Scenario 1 ..... screaming and howling coming from bedroom - Mother panics and runs to room "what happened!!!! What happened!!!!" thinking she's done something to her back! I stubbed my toe!

Scenario 2....... screaming and howling coming from outside - Once again Mother panics and runs outside "what happened!!! What happened!!!!" An Ant bit me!!!!!!

Scenario 3...... screaming and howling coming from loungeroom - sighhhhhh - Mother runs to room...She (sister) gave me a horsey bite!!!!

She was always a drama queen and going into surgery was a big worry for all of us as to how she was going to handle things - more so why we were all amazed how she handled the entire thing!!!! Wonderfully!!!!!!

Dam! The drama Queen is back and driving me insane!!!!! (Nice though to have her "normal" again).

Have to post the laughs!!!!

Del
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Maybe a copy of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" should somehow find its way into her Easter basket... but then what would we do for laughs? It sounds like you have your hands full, Del.

Here in the midwest (and many other areas) we are having lousy weather for Easter weekend too. So don't think you're all alone. Oh well! Maybe you should get some earplugs to drown out all that screaming and dramatics! (I know, you wouldn't do that-- you're a very caring Mum who needs to "be there" for your sweeties... Keep up the good work, but also try to reward yourself with a nice break now and then. You've had a pretty stressful time lately. Take care! Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Del,
      You are so funny! Thanks for the laugh! I had a few similar experiences like that. In the middle of the night, Chris started screaming "OWWWW!!!!!!!, OWWWW!!!!!!!!! IT HURTS!!!!!!!". I practically went into cardiac arrest as I sat bolt upright in bed and stumbled out of my room at a full trot down the hallway to his room. I'm screaming, "Oh my God, what's wrong? What happened? What hurts?" He screams, "I HAVE A LEG CRAMP!!!!" Sigh.....nice way to get the adrenaline flowing in the middle of the night. Ya gotta love it!!
      Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
      Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
      Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Del,

I sure do feel for you, I had many moments like that...but mostly for Elysia - she got the short end of the stick on this one. I know how the dreary weather can drag you down, we sure have had our share of it this past winter. We have finally had really lovely weather this week, but haven't even had a chance to really be outside... my DD is going through round 2 of cold/flu virus, and woke up this morning with a nice case of conjunctivitis (in both eyes) and some kind of viral infection, and I am supposed to host Easter celebration for my husbands (large) family Sat., and mine on Sunday Don't even know how I will pull it off at this point. Know that things will get better though - all you can really do at this point is take a deep breath, put a nice sympathetic smile on your face and do everything short of throwing down rose petals before they take the next step (borrowed that phrase from someone else, couldn't help it )

Renee

Comment

Haaaaaaa!!!!!! That was ME! with the rose petal comments!!!!!
          I'm not complaining - just wanted to share a laugh with everyone!
          I'd jump over the moon for this kid if she asked me to! She's a treasure and I LOOOVVEEE her to bits! (oh and the annoying 16 1/2 year old - love her to bits too but ohhhhhhh the teenage years!!! ahhhh!)

The surgery has brought us so much closer - we were already close before, but even more so now! I just wish she wouldn't carry on because it does make me panic! She never has grown out of the terrible two's but I wouldn't send her back for a refund for all the money in town!!! I've got a special one here, got such a loving soul!!!!

Her surgery must be one of the most documented on the history of the planet.... She's been writing a book since the day she got the Brace. She's up to just before the surgery, wants to get it published one day. (I got her doing this originally as a destraction method). She's put together a Power Point Presentation! She's almost finished Scrap booking all the photo's - complete with the entire set of STERI STRIPS off her back!!!!! YUCK!!!!!
          The Blog page that we set up! And wait for it ..... coming to a cinema near you soon the amazing....."Scoli Girl" - hmmm who shall we get to play the part of Elysia????

Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
          Sydney - Australia
          Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
          Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
          Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
          L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

How about Keira Knightley??
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Del,

Welcome to the other side of surgery! The worrying seems to never end....we go from worrying whether or not we've made the right decision....to worrying while the kids are in surgery......to worrying about them doing something to hurt their backs.....it just never ends!

Sounds like your "normal" teen has returned full force. Like my mom always told me, be careful what you wish for.....hmmmm. Honestly though, it is a good sign when our surgery kids return to their old selves.

Sounds like you need to assign some household chores to each of your children. Don't expect them to get done, but given the choice of chores or finding something to do other than bugging your sibling...I think most kids would choose to find something to do.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Del,
                I got a good laugh with your post. You were the first mom who was brave enough to post what most of us moms are feeling. Boy it has been a long ride, hasn't it. I need a vacation!! P.S. Loved the blog. What a great idea!!

- Michele
                Samsmom
                Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                Fused T-4 to L-2
                Yale New Haven
                2/5/08

Comment

Del - Thanks so much for sharing. I'm very happy to see her returning to her "normal" self. Sometimes we have to stop and remember that we WISHED them to be back to their normal lives... ugh. Teenagers. But so much better than seeing them hurting and wishing they didn't have to go through so much. Very Happy Easter Wishes to your family, on the other side of the world. Sunny and cool here - about 50F for the weekend.
                  Carmell
                  mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Del,

I absolutely loved your story. I have two drama queens at home myself, so I can so relate!!!

Lori,

I love your story about the leg cramps, too.
                    Melissa
                    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Working...
                    X