Neck fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck fusion?

I posted below about the progression of my kyphosis that has moved up my spine to my neck area. I have an appt. on Monday to get checked. I am wondering if any of you have had surgery in the neck region, and/or neck fusion? I am currently fused T3-L2. I dread the thought of another surgery, but honestly, I have so much pain on so many days that it another surgery doesn't sound too bad.

The last time I saw my doc (2 years ago), he mentioned having to use rods and screws to secure my neck area to my shoulder blades. Crimeny! That sounds just awful. So, I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks!

badback,
    I haven't had fusion surgery yet, but a good friend of mine had 2 fusions done on her neck about 6-7 years ago. I don't remember a lot about the surgery or the reason she needed it in the first place. I'll give her a call tomorrow and get the details and pass them along to you. I've been meaning to talk to her about it anyway so this will gives me a good reason to get in touch.

I'll let you know what I learn.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

kyphosis in neck

hi, i just had kyphosis/scoloisis surgery in oct. and got a very bad mrsa infection.i had to get the wound cleaned out twice. now the kyphosis is in my neck. the doc said i would need surgery for my problem. i know i am in alot of pain in neck shoulder area. whenever i am out on my feet alot i get severe burning in my neck. i do not want to have surgery again i can say that. but my quality of life right now sucks. can't do much of anything. does anything make your neck feel better? not much helps me just laying down. i cannot imagine having rods or hardware in my neck. hope it works out for you. lor

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your MRSA infection. That must have been awful. I have to say that I agree, while surgery sounds bad, I am sick of being in pain. I use a heating pad and sometimes a Thermacare wrap on my neck. The thing that helps the most after a day of teaching is sitting in the recliner while it is reclined. I don't know why this feels best, it just does. I'll let you know what my doc says Monday.

Comment

I'm so sorry I haven't had a post for you yet. I've tried to get in touch with my friend, but I think she may be out of town for Spring Break and/or Easter. I'll keep trying and as soon as I have something to share, I definately will!
          Becky, 46 years old
          Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
          Ignored until 448/07
          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
          Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
          Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
          Fused T-10 to L-5
          14 titanium pedicle screws
          Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
          Email

Comment

In the last couple of weeks, i've developed a terrible ache and tingling in my right arm. It seems to begin around my shoulder blade area and affects my whole arm. Is this similar to what you are experiencing and is it caused from kyphosis in the neck area pinching a nerve? Should i continue with the pain relievers, muscle relaxers, and heating pad.... none of which have helped much, or is it something i need to see the dr. about? I've had to go to the dr. with soooo many things, i'm almost embarrassed to call again .

Comment

Originally posted by JoAnn5
              In the last couple of weeks, i've developed a terrible ache and tingling in my right arm. It seems to begin around my shoulder blade area and affects my whole arm. Is this similar to what you are experiencing and is it caused from kyphosis in the neck area pinching a nerve? Should i continue with the pain relievers, muscle relaxers, and heating pad.... none of which have helped much, or is it something i need to see the dr. about? I've had to go to the dr. with soooo many things, i'm almost embarrassed to call again .
              I have had no pain in my arms, but the doc asked about that several times. It sounds like it could be a nerve issue. My pain is all in my neck and shoulders. I think you should call your doc. The way they kept asking me about arm pain makes me think this is something they look for.

Comment

So sorry

It pulls at my heart strings to hear your story. I too developed pain in my neck, shoulders, L. arm, L. leg, L. foot. The pain was so bad I could not help but run to see Dr. I had already had a plate @ C5-C6 for herniated disc. The 1st time (C5-6) the pain came on suddenly during night when I rolled over. This time the pain came on gradually until I could not get out of bed because the pain was so bad. I had a plate put in C3-4, C4-5, C5-6. It has been awful. I was still in the recovery room telling everyone that it was not ok, that we needed to go back then & there. I continued to repeat this my entire hospital stay. All during recovery, I was told the pain could get worse before better, it could shift from 1 side to the other, etc. 7 months later am looking for a revision Dr. I did not know until I found this forum that there was such a thing as revision surgery. Had I known that I would not have let them put the plate in. My Dr. knew nothing of scoli, kyphosis. He just knew how to put plates in. He does not explain anything, spends no time with you. That should have told me to run for the hills. I'm so sorry to hear you too are having such problems. My only advise is look for a Dr. that understands your total spine. I did not (still don't fully) understand when or how I developed kyphosis in addition to scoli. I thought it was the neck & not related to the scoli as the Dr's never mentioned. . . Know that my prayers are with you. Keep us posted. I will be watching to see how you progress. Good Luck
                72* to L.
                dextro rotation @T7
                after harrington rod 1980
                33* to R.
                53* to L
                Last edited by taylor; 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM.
                scoli appeared age 15
                untreated until age 30
                41* T & 72* L
                Harrington Rod T4 to L4
                33* T & 53* L
                neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
                Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Comment

Badback4me,
                  I have 3 plates with screws at C5/6/7, I'm also fused from T4-S1. The neck was easy compared to the A/P on the back! There is no longer pain/tingleing/numbness in my arm, hand. I was in the hospital overnight and went home with a neck brace. I was allowed to take the brace off for 1 hour to shower as long as I didn't bend my neck. I wore the brace for 23/7 for about 6 weeks with a month of PT.
                  SandyC
                  SandyC

Comment

My daughter was diagnosed with both Scoliosis and Kyphosis. She is fused from T3-L2. Within a few months after her surgery, she developed Kyphosis above her fusion. Her doctor was very upset and concerned because he said he took extra precautions to avoid this. We watched her Kyphosis continue to progress for about a year and thankfully it stopped progressing. Jamie has never had pain.

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Check this out!

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1709.html

Comment

Thank you so much!

I hadn't checked back here in a while. This article is so interesting. And, I live just outside of Indianapolis. I am thinking about visiting this doc before I try the guys in St. Louis. It might be worth it to see what he says. The PT is helping my pain, but the curve I feel will just keep going.

Thank you again!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X