No announcement yet.

Anyone had ribs taken out with surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had ribs taken out with surgery?

I went to my doctor yesterday to do all of my preop. He was talking about the procedure and told me that in the course of them derotating my spine, if he feels that my bones are not strong enough to get my spine rotated back to the correct position, he might take out two ribs to help with this. He said this is rare but just wanted to inform me in case that is what he needs to do. Has this ever happed to anyone here?
    Jamie Age 29
    Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
    2008 Curves - 39/63/44
    Surgery Date - 3/25/08
    T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

You've come to the right place.

Hi Jamie,

Well I can tell you all about that - Elysia had 5 taken. You can see the x-rays on the blog. I'll make it short as I've posted on this before.....

She had major rotation - He fused T5 - L1 and took 5 ribs - don't know the actual segment size - obviously your ribs go all the way round to your sternum and they don't take the entire thing!

I actually thought it was normal to have the Thoracoplasty at the same time as surgery but....... it seems this is not the case, as even when I was chatting with the President of the Australian Scolisois Association - she said she didn't know they were now doing both procedures at the same time.
    She doesn't have any problems at this stage from it - just gets more sore in this spot than the acutal back after a hard day of having fun!

Cheers
    Del
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

anterior

I had anterior approach fusion T11-L3 and one rib was taken for use as a bone graft in between my vertbrae.

Comment

I also had 2 ribs taken out to help lessen the rib hump and also to use for the bone graft.

I have a little bit of pain where I think they've been taken out, but I can honestly say I have had no particular problem because of part of the ribs being removed and I had it all done at the same time and I'm way older than you are.

I had it done at Westmead Private Hospital by Dr Cree, he obviously must do it this way regularly.
        Paula
        Anterior/Posterior surgery T5 to Sacrum
        Sydney Australia
        58 years old

Comment

I forgot, Good Luck for the 25th!
          Paula
          Anterior/Posterior surgery T5 to Sacrum
          Sydney Australia
          58 years old

Comment

Thanks for the info. If he does have to do this, it will be done at the same time. Just wondering if this was something normal, I had not heard of it.
            Jamie Age 29
            Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
            T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Working...
            X