Other options after fusion??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emma12
    He spent a great deal of time with us (even though there were about 70 people in the waiting area when we left!!!--busy, busy place). He and Janet were wonderful in answering the questions we had, but, as we hadn't expected this, I didn't have questions that I do now after sleeping on this.
    Why don't you e-mail Janet or Dr. Betz directly with your questions. They are both very good at answering e-mails often within 24 hours. If the questions are many and complicated, they will probably call you to discuss rather than e-mail.

Good luck!

(and, yes, Dr. Betz is extremely straightforward - which I like - better to hear it all up front and know that he's not holding anything back - no surprises later on that way!).
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I just wanted to say ...

To all the parents faced with these gut-wrenching decisions ;

To those who have to learn the specifics on disorders, diseases and procedures no parent should ever need to know ;

To those who must wait in terror as their child is taken to surgery - and know they're helpless to affect the outcome ;

To those who do all they can to soothe the pain of a child after surgery - knowing the path you chose resulted in pain now so they can thrive later ...

I know you probably don't consider yourself so, but I am in awe of your bravery.

You are all in my thoughts as you research, deliberate, decide and follow through with what's best for your child. Trust your instincts ... and always remember you are much stronger than you probably feel.

Big hugs and best wishes,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

wow, Pam

Beautifully said, Pam.

Thank you!

Gayle
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

That was beautifully said, and right on with how I'm feeling. I don't feel very brave, these are truly gut wrenching decisions to make. It would be much easier to make them for myself than for my child.

Thanks

Comment

Good luck with such a difficult series of decisions. I'm sure you will make the best decision possible and your daughter will be better off due to your gut-wrenching choices. I know the feelings you're having. I still have them and lots of worry about my son. You're doing a great job of mothering I wish you some peace of mind as soon as possible.
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
            X