Update: My 2 kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: My 2 kids

It has been a while since I wrote. I think I officially live at my doctors office. My 2 1/2 yr od Ysabella is in her TLSO brace and is slowly adjusting to it. She has a hard time getting off the floor. My now 4 month old is due to get his cast on July 9th. On one of the replys it stated he might have to be sedated for this process. Is this normal procedure because my doctor never mentioned this to us? I truly appreciate everyones advise and wisdom. I will make sure and update as soon as I can.

Tara,

I know these are all very personal decisions, but is there a reason why your 2 1/2 year old daughter did not get a cast and your four month old son is ? Does she have idiopathic scoliosis ? It is not too late for her to get a cast. From what I have read, children can be successfully casted until the age of three. My dughter was nearly 20 months old when she got her first cast and her curve was 68 degrees ! We go for a stand-up x-ray in July - I can tell you, she feels very straight I think you mentioned that your daughter's curve is 40 degress ? - if she has idiopathic scoliosis, she is an ideal candidate for casting - Older children with small curves can also be treated and cured.

I know from discussions with other moms, that casting isn't for everyone. Most moms dread the idea - but, it's really not what you perceive it to be. They call it a body cast - but it's really just a corset

To address your question, if your son is getting a cast, your doctor will anesthetize him. If he is simply getting a cast mold for the brace, then probably not - he maybe sedated for it.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

I read somewhere that doctors don't normally anesthetize young babies unless it's absolutely necessary - i.e., a life threatening condition. Apparently there are a lot of complications with anesthesia. I've been doing some research on this lately, so I thought I would pass it along.

Celia

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
      X