Five years post major revision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five years post major revision

I am doing great and will have my last yearly follow-up with Dr. Boachie Mon, March 13 at 12:30. I still am pain free, employable and really grateful.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Congratulations!

I'm so happy for you. Congratulations on yet another milestone. Enjoy your day. I'm sure you'll receive a great report. LYNN
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you, Karen, for posting this! I meant to respond sooner and let you know that it gives encouragement even to those of us who have "only" had one surgery. For me, the initial recovery was so extremely slow-- but then the snail's pace over the months only seemed to pick up a little bit... In retrospect I see that's not really true. I now think the reality of what I had previously envisioned as my "recovery" won't ever exist... instead it's really an adjustment of learning to deal with daily challenges in a different way than I would have without either the scoli or the surgery; it's certainly a tremendous improvement over what was happening to me before surgery. I don't mind using a sock-aid-- I need it! And I'm getting so much better at my squatting down, even though I still have a ways to go. I realize I have limitations that I need to accept-- and if I ignore them, there will be consequences. I sure don't want to overdo the bending and cause harm to my already bum hips! That's why I'm working so hard at the squatting. Actually, I'm quite excited by the recovery-- except when I'm frustrated! (Who, me, confused??? ) -- and all in all I think I'm doing well. I have come so far in 10 months! So when I think about how far you've come in 5 years and how well you are doing and feeling now, I am both delighted for you and excited for myself! Thanks!!!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
      X