Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can curve increase after fusion?

Hi,
    I had rods inserted 10 years ago from L1 to T6. Recently i have noticed my posture getting worse. It seems that my right shoulder blade sits lower than it did and is much more pronounced than the left. This means it's much more noticeable than before. People tell me it's not that bad and you can't notice it, but i know my own body. Is it possible for this to happen? I thought that after the fusion my spine couldn't grow anymore? Also, i'm 23 so stopped growing quite a while ago. Can anyone suggest what this might be? I'm not due to see my consultant for another couple of months.

Thanks for you help and please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, everyone on here seems to know so much more about scoliosis than me, but i'm learning!

Actually you could have developed curves either above or below the fusion. My understanding is that a more cautious approach during surgery can result in this. My surgeon went farther then my curves to try and prevent that from happening to me. I would see if its possible to get in and have it checked sooner.
    Good Luck,
    Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Hi NicMac,
      Unfortunately this does happen, and happened to me. I had my surgery when I was 20, and just had a revision at age 27 because the fusion didn't go high enough into my thoracic spine and the curve was still progressing. It's a scary prospect to face going through the surgery again. The best thing that you can do, is to go to your doctor and get an x-ray, hopefully it isn't as bad as you think. The thing is, you know your own body best, and if you are worried that your curve has progressed, don't let family talk you out of getting it checked. Not wanting it to be so, doesn't make the situation different. Good on you for asking questions.
      Are you getting more pain? I didn't think I was until I thought back over the years after my surgery, and realised that in the first few years I was less restricted by pain.
      Please keep me posted, if your curve has progressed, you're not the only one.
      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

thank you for your responses nzgirl and geish,

i am having a lot more pain recently and am undergoing physiotherapy to try and ease the pain. My surgeon has put me on a waiting list to remove two bolts as he things i may have a trapped nerve or muscle damage. I last had an x ray about 2-3 months ago and my surgeon didn't mention any increasing curve, could it progress so rapidly? My right shoulder definitely hangs lower than the left? I shall make an appointment anway, if nothing else it will stop me worrying about it.

Thanks

Comment

Your surgeon must think that it is a trapped nerve rather than curve progression if he is removing the screws, but I don't really know. When I had the dreaded appointment when I found out that my curve had progressed and that I had the option of further surgery, I couldn't take in all the information. So I ended up booking another one a few weeks later to go over it with him again, and took a list of questions. So don't be afraid of going back again.

I doubt that your curve would suddenly progress over a matter of months, usually it's over a few years.

I'm sorry that you are in so much pain, I hope that it will be relieved with the proposed surgery. It's great that you are working with a PT to help. Even if it is a surgical problem, being fit and strong minimises discomfort and helps with recovery post-op.

Keep us posted!
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Before my daughter's surgery, her doctor mentioned that there was always a possibility of curvature above or below a fusion. He did everything in his power to prevent this, but my daughter developed a curve above her fusion within probably 2-3 months after her surgery. We were told that if the curve progressed to a certain degree, she'd need to have her fusion extended. The curve continued to progress for about a year or so and hasn't progressed since. So, no surgery for now but we don't know what the future will hold.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Nici -- and other post-ops,

Here's an article on physiotherapy for post-fusion patients by Christa Lehnert-Schroth, who has worked with a lot of them.

http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlung.de/op_eng.pdf

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X