Thread: Yoga/Pilates DVDs

Yoga/Pilates DVDs

I got myself that Yoga DVD for people with scoliosis that you all know about (Iíve read that thereís also one about Pilates).
    Iím 34yo, 30į rotating left low back and compensating 25į right thoracic, Iíve been going to the gym for nearly 20 years, I also regularly go swimming, and Iíve somehow won the psychological hurdle of taking off my T-shirt in public, no-one ever noticed about my back in many occasions, Iím of course more uncomfortable in intimate situations, Iím afraidÖ
    Just wondered, I tried some of the positions in that DVD but some are very challenging even for a person whoís used to movements, and somehow I donít understand what I should move and how I should move it, taking into account my curves. Thereíre no instructors who could help me in the vicinity (I live in Italy), do you think that probably a Yoga for Beginners DVD would be a solution and then once simple positions have been mastered I should pass onto this DVD specifically for people with scoliosis? Are you on the whole satisfied with your Yoga experience so far? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair
    I got myself that Yoga DVD for people with scoliosis that you all know about (Iíve read that thereís also one about Pilates).
    Iím 34yo, 30į rotating left low back and compensating 25į right thoracic, Iíve been going to the gym for nearly 20 years, I also regularly go swimming, and Iíve somehow won the psychological hurdle of taking off my T-shirt in public, no-one ever noticed about my back in many occasions, Iím of course more uncomfortable in intimate situations, Iím afraidÖ
    Just wondered, I tried some of the positions in that DVD but some are very challenging even for a person whoís used to movements, and somehow I donít understand what I should move and how I should move it, taking into account my curves. Thereíre no instructors who could help me in the vicinity (I live in Italy), do you think that probably a Yoga for Beginners DVD would be a solution and then once simple positions have been mastered I should pass onto this DVD specifically for people with scoliosis? Are you on the whole satisfied with your Yoga experience so far? Thanks
    Please go to: www.Sosort.org and ckeck with Dr. Stefano Negrini in Italy -e-mail: stefano.negrini@isico.it .
    You will benefit if someone will videotape you from the back and and beguin to de-rotate your torsions at the level of your apices of the concave areas.

I would be very suspicious of a "One-Size-Fits-All" yoga or Pilates tape for scoliosis. Physical exercises should be tailored to your particular scoliotic configuration.

Are you left or right lumbar -- or do you have a lumbar curve at all? Left or right thoracic? And so forth. It's more complicated than that, even. You could be doing completely wrong exercises and making your curves worse.

I agree with BETall, Dr Negrini's clinic is probably the best solution in Italy. He's affiliated with the Universita degli Studi di Milano.