3 weeks post op and the Flu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks post op and the Flu!

Ahhhhhh - Elysia is three weeks post op and my elder daughter contracted the Flu and now I'VE GOT IT!!!! It's one of those strains with a very very hacking cough with lots of congestion.

Now Elysia has a sore throat after all my best efforts to keep everyone out of her range!!! This kid still can't cough and yesterday every time she sneezed it obviously hurt like hell!!! What am I going to do when the hacking cough starts??? I've been trying all sorts of cough mixtures on myself (experimenting for her) but none seem to stop the coughing!!!

Has anyone got any home remedies or secret weapons in this department! I'm scared it could turn nasty if she can't cough.

Sob
    D (cough) E (cough) L (cough)
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

It's no solution, but it helps me if I hug a pillow when i cough or sneeze... it still hurts, but it cushions the blow. good luck!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Del,

Try her pediatrician or surgeon and see if it's too late to get her on something like Flumadine (the generic is Rimantadine) or the like to lessen her symptoms.

And, not to worry you, but watch for pneumonia ... it's the #1 secondary infection after the flu. I got both 2 years in a row, and NEVER go without my flu shot now!

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Del

Sorry to hear, that sucks. Sheena had whooping cough in the 6th grade (couldn't take the vaccine) and the only thing the doctor could give her was tesla pearls (this is a common name, I'm sure it has some other complicated medical term), it's a prescription for severe coughs. Maybe you can get it for yourself.

Take care, I hope you're feeling well soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiemum
          Ahhhhhh - Elysia is three weeks post op and my elder daughter contracted the Flu and now I'VE GOT IT!!!! It's one of those strains with a very very hacking cough with lots of congestion.

Now Elysia has a sore throat after all my best efforts to keep everyone out of her range!!! This kid still can't cough and yesterday every time she sneezed it obviously hurt like hell!!! What am I going to do when the hacking cough starts??? I've been trying all sorts of cough mixtures on myself (experimenting for her) but none seem to stop the coughing!!!

Has anyone got any home remedies or secret weapons in this department! I'm scared it could turn nasty if she can't cough.

Sob
          D (cough) E (cough) L (cough)
          Oh No!
          Actually Samantha had a bad cough/stuffy nose and earache a few days after we were home from her surgery. The sneezing was a killer and the coughing too. I cringed everytime I heard her knowing how bad that had to hurt her back. I ended up having to put her in the car and take her to the pediatrician. It was so soon after her fusion, I was worried about her not being able to take deep enough breaths to clear her chest and of getting pnuemonia. It was quite a ride to the dr's. as you can imagine!

Turned out that it was all in her nasal passages and just told her to take robitusin CF. (Be careful giving her anything with an antihistimine if she is still on pain meds).

We did the pillow, but it wasn't much help and lots of tea with honey!

Good Luck,
          Michele
          Samsmom
          Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
          42 Degree Lumbar Curve
          Fused T-4 to L-2
          Yale New Haven
          2/5/08

Comment

Flu

Pam is right:

If one with flu symptoms contacts their doctor within 24 hours and gets an anti-viral prescription one can shorten and lessen the flu severity. One can also avoid or reduce contracting the flu with such a prescription if one has been in contact with a sufferer. Adults are contagious 24 hours before onset of symptoms; children can spread the flu 4-5 days before they show symptoms. This in why, in certain countries-Japan for instance- children are immunized and the elderly are not. It seems to keep things in check. Flu can be fatal in kids as well as adults.

Contacting the physician early is very important.

This year's flu vaccine is only partially effective but certainly better than no innoculation.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Lena is almost 3 months post surgery and just had her first bad cough/flu bug. I can't imagine what it would have been like if it was closer to surgery because she was in so much discomfort with her coughing. She was convinced that every time she coughed, she could "feel" the rods and screws and was scared to cough. This, of course, got me worried that something got dislodged during her heavy coughing fits. She's so skinny and when we were looking at her back, my husband was convinced that a rod was sticking out, but upon closer inspection, we have determined that it's just one of her vertabrae. It's still nagging at me so I'm glad we have our 3 month follow up on March 7. I need to see an x-ray to make sure that everything is still the same.

That said, when she did have to cough, she found that laying on her back, holding a pillow was the easiest for her. She's better now - though she does have remnants of the barking like a seal cough.

Comment

thanks everyone for the tips!

Went to the GP yesterday - Paediatricians or surgeons take months to get an appointment with - even a GP takes days!

As expected when I mentioned the Flu thing he shrugged his shoulders and said "well, what can I give her??" Just take a coug syrup! Typical! Here in Aus they make us tough and we just have to ride everything out. Dr's look at you like your some kind of wimp! So fingers crossed maybe with the antibiotics they had puming through her system prior she'll have some sort of milder attack.

But.... he did put her back onto the Oxycontin slow release every 12 hours. She was doing fine without it for the last 3 days but I noticed she had slowed right down and just wanted to sit in front of the TV all day because of feeling sore and her ribs hurting. So I figured OK, better to be on the drugs and moving than off them and sitting around. It's only a total of 15mg a day anyway so it's nothing too strong.

hugs to everyone
                Del
                Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                Sydney - Australia
                Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Hi Del,
                  My mom is a MAJOR believer in the non-traditional/natural approach to health. My daugher had a bad cough recently and had to miss school so she stayed with my mom so I could work. Abby (my 10 yo daughter) came home saying Ma (my mom) had helped her cough sooooo much with some sweet lemonade. I checked with my mom and what she did was mix warm water with a little lemon juice and LOTS of honey and had Abby sip it frequently. Apparently it works because when I tried to give Abby some cough syrup she flatly refused and said she needed some "Ma medicine"! I thought this might help seeing there shouldn't be any bad reaction with other meds. Good luck!
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                  Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                  Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                  Fused T-10 to L-5
                  14 titanium pedicle screws
                  Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                  Email

Comment

Thanks Becky, I'm going to try that on myself today!!! I know hot tea helps me!
                    I'm hopeless when it comes to things all natural!

cheers
                    Del
                    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                    Sydney - Australia
                    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting

Comment

Working...
                    X