• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomach it if you can

shrine circus record

(emphasis added)

Cruelty Under the Shriners Big Top

Shrine Circuses have deplorable records of cruelty to animals, serious violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act, and animal attacks resulting in injury and even death. Elephants used by Shriners have rampaged, killing trainers and injuring children. Although many successful charitable organizations never use circus fundraisers, about 150 of Shrine's 191 temples host annual circuses. These circuses raise funds for the temples' administrative costs, not for the Shriners children's hospitals.

The Shriners do not operate their own traveling circus; instead Shrine temples produce circuses by either hiring an existing circus such as Tarzan Zerbini Circus, Jordan World Circus, Royal Hanneford Circus, Walker Bros. Circus, and George Carden Circus or putting together a collection of animal exhibitors, acrobats, and other acts that perform under the Shrine Circus name. Learn more by reading factsheets about these circuses.

Animals in circuses are beaten to make them perform tricks on command. If they do not perform properly, they are beaten some more. In cases where they snap and either run amok or attack someone, they are beaten again. After one recent incident, a whistleblower notified PETA that a gang of trainers armed with bullhooks, electric prods, and pipes were awaiting an elephant who stomped her trainer to death as she was unloaded from the transport trailer in an obscure location.

Circuses and animal exhibitors performing for Shriners have been cited and fined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for failing to provide veterinary care, failure to provide minimum space, inadequate and unsafe enclosures, mishandling animals, endangering animals and the public, failure to provide shelter from inclement weather, failure to provide exercise, and failure to provide nutritious food and clean drinking water.

In 2004, Shrine Circus elephant supplier Hawthorn Corporation admitted to 19 violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act and paid a $200,000 fine. Hawthorn had been charged with using physical abuse, causing harm and discomfort, failing to provide veterinary care, and unsafe public contact.

In 2001, a parent chaperoning schoolchildren to the Medinah Shrine Circus in Chicago reported that children were traumatized when they saw a trainer beating an elephant. She wrote to the local newspaper, "When the elephants were brought behind the curtain, the trainer began verbally abusing and hitting the elephant. We watched in horror as he swung a stick with all his force and struck the elephant in the back of the leg. This must have hurt because the elephant let out a scream that could be heard throughout the UIC Pavilion."

See Also:
    Circuses.com
    Animal-Free Circuses
    Animal-Free Fundraisers
    Donate Now
    Subscribe to E-News
    Become a Member
    Last edited by Pooka1; 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sorry, but these instances sound like running every other business. Why not boycott and sue Disneyland for killing children on their rides? Because the kids aren't furry and cute like animals?

How do you justify the pictures of horses in chains, the total abuse of them including the beating with crops, the terrible falls they must endure, the putting down of them when they break down doing their darndest to do what is demanded of them, the sheer boredom in thousands of stalls across the country where they've been abandoned...and then sold to a meat processor after all their years of hard work to be eaten in foreign countries. What hypocrisy!

This will be my last post on this subject. People can decide for themselves.

Comment

Another clue stick

more on shrine circuses

"Some Shriners are rethinking the use of animals in their circus fundraisers as it becomes recognized as archaic, unsafe, and inhumane. Please let the Shriners know that you want an end to animal cruelty at the Shrine Circus and will attend only animal-free circuses."

If the Shriners are starting to get a clue then you can too.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
          Sorry, but these instances sound like running every other business. Why not boycott and sue Disneyland for killing children on their rides? Because the kids aren't furry and cute like animals?

How do you justify the pictures of horses in chains, the total abuse of them including the beating with crops, the terrible falls they must endure, the putting down of them when they break down doing their darndest to do what is demanded of them, the sheer boredom in thousands of stalls across the country where they've been abandoned...and then sold to a meat processor after all their years of hard work to be eaten in foreign countries. What hypocrisy!

Just because some folks are clueless as to how to handle horses doesn't mean everyone is. For example, my horse has free choice to go into a stall or stay out in a field. He sometimes chooses to go in the stall. Can you imagine????? And he has no stall vices. How is that possible????? I mention this only to show you how clueless you truly are. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Do you own a dog? Are you personally responsible for every idiot who mistreats their dog?

You are truly irrational on this matter though not other matters.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              shrine circus record

(emphasis added)

Cruelty Under the Shriners Big Top

Shrine Circuses have deplorable records of cruelty to animals, serious violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act, and animal attacks resulting in injury and even death. Elephants used by Shriners have rampaged, killing trainers and injuring children. Although many successful charitable organizations never use circus fundraisers, about 150 of Shrine's 191 temples host annual circuses. These circuses raise funds for the temples' administrative costs, not for the Shriners children's hospitals.

The Shriners do not operate their own traveling circus; instead Shrine temples produce circuses by either hiring an existing circus such as Tarzan Zerbini Circus, Jordan World Circus, Royal Hanneford Circus, Walker Bros. Circus, and George Carden Circus or putting together a collection of animal exhibitors, acrobats, and other acts that perform under the Shrine Circus name. Learn more by reading factsheets about these circuses.

Animals in circuses are beaten to make them perform tricks on command. If they do not perform properly, they are beaten some more. In cases where they snap and either run amok or attack someone, they are beaten again. After one recent incident, a whistleblower notified PETA that a gang of trainers armed with bullhooks, electric prods, and pipes were awaiting an elephant who stomped her trainer to death as she was unloaded from the transport trailer in an obscure location.

Circuses and animal exhibitors performing for Shriners have been cited and fined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for failing to provide veterinary care, failure to provide minimum space, inadequate and unsafe enclosures, mishandling animals, endangering animals and the public, failure to provide shelter from inclement weather, failure to provide exercise, and failure to provide nutritious food and clean drinking water.

In 2004, Shrine Circus elephant supplier Hawthorn Corporation admitted to 19 violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act and paid a $200,000 fine. Hawthorn had been charged with using physical abuse, causing harm and discomfort, failing to provide veterinary care, and unsafe public contact.

In 2001, a parent chaperoning schoolchildren to the Medinah Shrine Circus in Chicago reported that children were traumatized when they saw a trainer beating an elephant. She wrote to the local newspaper, "When the elephants were brought behind the curtain, the trainer began verbally abusing and hitting the elephant. We watched in horror as he swung a stick with all his force and struck the elephant in the back of the leg. This must have hurt because the elephant let out a scream that could be heard throughout the UIC Pavilion."

See Also:
              Circuses.com
              Animal-Free Circuses
              Animal-Free Fundraisers
              Donate Now
              Subscribe to E-News
              Become a Member
              PETA...it figures. Udder nonsense!

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
                PETA...it figures. Udder nonsense!
                I think PETA is largely nutty also.

But there are facts in there can be checked out.

Are you saying it is all lies, stem to stern?

What about the other 5,179 hits? Are they all lying? Is it all a huge conspiracy? Is everything a huge conspiracy?

For those who think PETA is making this all up...

(links removed for being too graphic)

If you'll notice, youtube requires you be over 18 to see some of the circus elephant abuse. What does that tell you?
                Last edited by Pooka1; 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Uh ... yeah.

YOU derailed this thread, sweetheart, so take a deep breath. As far as whether I just *have* to chime in, I'm fairly certain I have the same right to do so as you.

All Sharon said about Shriners was "I hope they find some way to keep all the hospitals open.". Whether she agrees with the circus thing or not, YOU deliberately choose to poke a sleeping dog.

Better watch all that glass on the floor of your house ... I'd hate for you to cut your foot.
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

I have been trying to avoid posting that stuff because I don't want kids (or adults) getting nightmares. But ignorance must be countered or it will never go away.

I don't mind if a moderator removes my posts with the pictures/videos of circus elephant abuse. I just hope the point remains.

It is appropriate to judge humanity by how they treat animals. Charities don't need to sell their soul to help people.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Shriners have never been my favorite people, but I do realise they have done good for lot of people. So I hope they can keep open as many hospitals as possible.
                      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                      Still have 57 degree curve
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                      Preop xray (with brace on)
                      Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                        Shriners have never been my favorite people, but I do realise they have done good for lot of people. So I hope they can keep open as many hospitals as possible.
                        I think most Shriners are as clueless about the cruelty as Balletmom who is a master of the non-sequitor, BTW (viz the horse stuff).

Getting rid of circus animal acts is a matter of education, one person at a time if necessary. That and lawsuits because some people don't give a crap about suffering.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          I think most Shriners are as clueless about the cruelty as Balletmom who is a master of the non-sequitor, BTW (viz the horse stuff).

Getting rid of circus animal acts is a matter of education, one person at a time if necessary. That and lawsuits because some people don't give a crap about suffering.
                          Well to be honest my dislike of Shriners has nothing to do with their circuses. (although that certainly does not help their cause in my eyes)

Back when my family knew the surgery I needed was not going to be able to be done in Canada, and thus paid for by our healthcare, my parents applied with the Shriners to see what they could do. But they wanted the surgery done in their hospital with their doctors. Their doctors hadn't even looked at me and decided they wanted to change the surgeries up. My doctor was definately against this, and we went with his opinion. The Shriners 'lost' our application 4 times and basically kept using strong arm tactics, via scare tactics, on my mother to pressure her into putting me in their care. In the end we recieved no help from them and to this day I feel that they were just going after the publicity they could have gotten from my case rather than helping me.

However they do help a lot of people and I certainly do hope they will be able to keep doing so.
                          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                          Still have 57 degree curve
                          2 Harrington rods
                          Luque method used
                          Dr David Bradford
                          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                          Preop xray (with brace on)
                          Postop xray

Comment

"an animal-free circus" LMAO
                            Cirque du Soleil

And, it's been so successful that the founder is one of the richest men in the world.
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

I know they call themselves a circus, but I don't. Just as I don't call Chinese acrobats a circus. To me, they are a very successful Las Vegas show. But more power to Shriners if they think they can earn money for their hospitals by somehow using Cirque's format or getting Cirque to perform benefits for them. Better yet would be if the founder, as one of the richest men in the world, would feel it in his heart to help out the disadvantaged kids of the country who helped make him so wealthy.

Also, I don't think this would go over very well at a Shriner's benefit...just saying.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztXmzMvSXZ0

Comment

Back to relevancy

It is not relevant if someone or even many people consider animal-free circuses to be circuses.

What matters is education and trying to decrease suffering in the world in ways that don't increase it for others.

This isn't rocket science. Humanity can and does evolve...

- Slavery ended (though not completely in places)
                                - Women have the vote.
                                - Smoking is being severely restricted in public places.
                                - Only science can be legally taught in public school science classrooms.

Animal circuses need an Enlightenment just like the world needed an Enlightment. Cirque du Soleil is the leading edge of that enlightenment. People who countenance circus animal suffering need to be roundly criticized and marginalized until they start making sense.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X