Any1 from Louisiana/Shrevepot Shriners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
    Pretty hard to raise money when you can't even use a circus as a fundraiser without people complaining.
    Well they shouldn't be using blood money in any case.

There is no reason they have to raise money through animal cruelty. Plenty of other charities manage to stay afloat without torturing a single animal. Your explanation is...?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      shriners

I hope they find some way to keep all the hospitals open.
      Yikes! Really sad.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It is another one of your opinions that they are engaging in animal cruelty. Much better that the elephants stay in Africa and get slaughtered by poachers for their ivory.

Comment

It is another one of your opinions that they are engaging in animal cruelty. Much better that the elephants stay in Africa and get slaughtered by poachers for their ivory.
          It's my "opinion" that elephants suffer in circuses? I guess the court case that will be decided any day now is just a group sing-a-long that is waste of time in your mind.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I think a lot of lawsuits are ridiculous these days. A waste of time and money. But as long as you feel very pious and make sure you don't donate to Shriner's for their transgressions by using a circus as a fundraiser, at least you can feel good about yourself as you watch Shriners go down the tube. Don't worry about the suffering of the poor kids who won't get medical care for their conditions due to people like you who are lucky to have great medical insurance and can ride their expensive horses while thinking about the "mistreatment" of these elephants. I think keeping horses in a small stall all day is mistreatment and making them work under saddle and reins for room and board is cruel. Maybe we should have a lawsuit to say keeping and riding horses should be outlawed.

Comment

I think a lot of lawsuits are ridiculous these days.
              Would that be an OPINION?

A waste of time and money. But as long as you feel very pious and make sure you don't donate to Shriner's for their transgressions by using a circus as a fundraiser, at least you can feel good about yourself as you watch Shriners go down the tube. Don't worry about the suffering of the poor kids who won't get medical care for their conditions due to people like you who are lucky to have great medical insurance and can ride their expensive horses while thinking about the "mistreatment" of these elephants. I think keeping horses in a small stall all day is mistreatment and making them work under saddle and reins for room and board is cruel. Maybe we should have a lawsuit to say keeping and riding horses should be outlawed.
              So essentially you know less than nothing about horses and riding. You could have just said that.

In re Shriners, if other charities can stay afloat without torturing a single animal, so can Shriners. Why can't they?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pretty hard to raise money when you can't even use a circus as a fundraiser without people complaining.
                Ballet Mom,

For someone who accuses others here on a not uncommon basis of being snide/rude/condescending and essentially "big meanies" in general, was that comment necessary?
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

txmarinemom-

Just couldn't resist joining in, could you? I'm quite sure Pooka is quite able to do her own defense...thank you very much. If Pooka wants to stand on a soapbox and shout to the world her opinions including the suing of Shriners to get her way, she should be open to others disputing her commentary.

After joining this forum, I would love to add Shriners as a charity of mine but the last call I got from them asked me to send money to send kids to a circus with animal acts.

I explained at length about how Shriners should not be sullying themselves with circuses with animal acts, espcially elephant acts. I said I would be a regular contributor if they severed all ties with circuses with animal acts.
                  /
                  /
                  /
                  People are idiots.
                  and

Hopefully someone will sue the Shrine circus to give up their wild animal acts.
                  That would be very harmful to children needing help and donations, not lawsuits, but if you and she think that's a good thing...go pound sand somewhere else.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ghlight=circus

Comment

Not abuse and torture of horses? In one of the videos I found, one rider was saying her friend's horse had to be put down...i.e. shot in the head, because it's neck was broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK2SB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbjMN...eature=related

And in thousands of stalls across the country... one of many vices:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_ks4xRmG4

I would say it is abuse and torture, you're just used to it.

At least Shriner's is trying to help kids, what are these people doing?

Comment

txmarinemom-

Just couldn't resist joining in, could you? I'm quite sure Pooka is quite able to do her own defense...thank you very much. If Pooka wants to stand on a soapbox and shout to the world her opinions including the suing of Shriners to get her way, she should be open to others disputing her commentary.
                      Again with opinion? Do you suppose I'm dreaming this up?

Rather than DERAIL this thread with links to video of circus animal cruelty, you should search youtube see how much you can take. Maybe you and Shriners can take more than the average person, I don't know. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Blood money isn't part of any solution... sorry if this is news.

And beyond the overt cruelty, the living and transport conditions in which elephants are kept are deplorable. The subject case has to do with Ringling Brothers bt I'm hoping it will apply to Shriners and other circuses with elephant acts. If this court case doesn't succeed, caring people will keep bringing cases until folks start making sense. Feel free to start any time and not wait for the court decision.

Finally, nobody is saying Shriners can't have a circus. Rational, empathic, caring people say they can't torture animals and should have an animal-free circus. Do you see that difference?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Not abuse and torture of horses? In one of the videos I found, one rider was saying her friend's horse had to be put down...i.e. shot in the head, because it's neck was broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK2SB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbjMN...eature=related

And in thousands of stalls across the country... one of many vices:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_ks4xRmG4

I would say it is abuse and torture, you're just used to it.

At least Shriner's is trying to help kids, what are these people doing?
                        You don't have a damn clue as to how most horses live.

Do you have a dog? If so, are you responsible for all the people who abuse dogs?

You are being completely irrational.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

In case you didn't notice, I was posting horse cruelty, not circus animal cruelty.

"an animal-free circus" LMAO

Exactly what is your proof that the Shrine Circus is torturing animals? Sounds to me like a libel suit and defamation of character suit for anyone wishing to pursue it.

Comment

It is impossible to discuss a subject with someone who is completely clueless on the subject.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Who's clueless?

The Annual Shrine Circus is one of the largest fund-raising events sponsored by the Shriners. The Shrine Circus provides a quality, fun-filled, family experience with proceeds going to a great cause—the good work of Shriners in your community.

Comment

Who's clueless?
                                You are.

Google "shriners circus animal cruelty"

5,180 hits.

Educate yourself. You are ignorant. Not dumb but ignorant. Until you do so, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X