No announcement yet.

Any1 from Louisiana/Shrevepot Shriners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who countenance circus animal suffering need to be roundly criticized and marginalized until they start making sense.
    I assume you don't go to any races either? Horse racing, greyhound racing, cross country racing. Make sure you let all your horsie friends know of your opinions of the pain and suffering caused by their sport. At least Shriner's is trying to help kids in need.

This link is for Pooka only. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Z7t5jRfVw

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
      Unlike some, I'm actually flattered when I see someone imitating me.

By the way, as soon as this thread dies down, I'm going to trash it. It doesn't really have anything to do with scoliosis, and I am concerned about it being in the kids forum.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post

By the way, as soon as this thread dies down, I'm going to trash it. It doesn't really have anything to do with scoliosis, and I am concerned about it being in the kids forum.
        I am concerned also about kids seeing the pictures/videos. I would want their parents to see this material, not them. The point is to quash abject ignorance through education. I'll take the links down if the thread isn't gone soon.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
          Back when my family knew the surgery I needed was not going to be able to be done in Canada, and thus paid for by our healthcare, my parents applied with the Shriners to see what they could do. But they wanted the surgery done in their hospital with their doctors. Their doctors hadn't even looked at me and decided they wanted to change the surgeries up. My doctor was definately against this, and we went with his opinion. The Shriners 'lost' our application 4 times and basically kept using strong arm tactics, via scare tactics, on my mother to pressure her into putting me in their care. In the end we recieved no help from them and to this day I feel that they were just going after the publicity they could have gotten from my case rather than helping me.

However they do help a lot of people and I certainly do hope they will be able to keep doing so.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

I just wanted to say that, as most of us know, Shriners offers medical care at no cost, but they do not pay for surgeries performed elsewhere. It's just not what they do and it's just not how their system works. So, I am honestly not surprised that they were unable to help you if your family was opting for another surgery with a doctor outside of the Shriners system (I think that's what I understood from your post - if not, I apoligize).

If someone needs help, and there is a doctor within the Shriners hospital system who can help, then he or she will help that child.

I just wanted to clear that up lest someone unfamiliar with the system misunderstands the services that are offered.

Regards,
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Linda,

You have a good sense of humor!

I have no problem with this thread being tossed. I would recommend tossing the thread about the Shriners circuses "abuse" and suing the Shriners that I posted a link to earlier in this thread. I hardly think this forum should have advocates against such a worthwhile charity as Shriners. Especially, when there are so many other abuses of animals such as the horse industry who are doing it for the money.

People who countenance racing animal suffering need to be roundly criticized and marginalized until they start making sense!
            Last edited by Ballet Mom; 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
              I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

I just wanted to say that, as most of us know, Shriners offers medical care at no cost, but they do not pay for surgeries performed elsewhere. It's just not what they do and it's just not how their system works. So, I am honestly not surprised that they were unable to help you if your family was opting for another surgery with a doctor outside of the Shriners system (I think that's what I understood from your post - if not, I apoligize).

If someone needs help, and there is a doctor within the Shriners hospital system who can help, then he or she will help that child.

I just wanted to clear that up lest someone unfamiliar with the system misunderstands the services that are offered.

Regards,
              Yeah I realise how they work, but it was more the attitude they gave my parents during the whole process. They could have just said no and left it at that, but 'losing' our applications 4 times? Like I said, the feeling I have, and my parents, is that they were more interested in helping me because of potential publicity (because of the extreme case I was).

They do help a lot of people, and do a lot of good, which is why I hope they don't close any hospitals. There are very good doctors at Shriners.

Brad
              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
              Still have 57 degree curve
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
              Preop xray (with brace on)
              Postop xray

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Brad.

I guess there are bad apples everywhere - and perhaps at that time your parents came across one or two of them. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any of that treatment at Shriners today (not that I've heard of anyway) - and most people I know who have gone to Shriners were treated with great care and respect for their child's best interests - as it should be everywhere, EVERY time.

Unfortunately, in the healthcare industry as a whole that is often not the case - not only publicity, but money often comes into play which is unfortunate.

I have a friend at Shriners who says that they practice medicine "as it should be" with no concern over money, only concern for the kids. Again, I'm truly sorry that was not your experience.

Best regards,
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                X