Hallucinations after surgery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallucinations after surgery.

I am so relieved to know that I was not the only one to see things that weren't there after surgery. It happened only after my original surgery and not the revision eight years later. I actually was found trying to get down the stairwell and told the nurse that I was a man with a wife and two kids at home! When I found out that that was what I said I was mortified ! The hallucinations didn't start till about 5 days after surgery, well after the morphine was DCed. I sure as hell hope it doesn't happen this time. I do take Ambien CR and if I don't fall asleep right away I will see stuff that I know isn't there. Wonder if that has anything to do with it? thanks, Krysi

Hi Krysi

I hope you don't get upset, but that's pretty funny, I got a laugh. I'm sure it wasn't funny at all at the time.

I don't know if kids hallucinate so much, but Sheena had one terrible night in the hospital. Her legs were spasming uncontrollably and she was in so much pain, they were trying to transition her off the morphine. It tore me up to see her like that. When she finally got some rest, she said she dreamed that angels were holding her still so she could sleep. The strange thing is we're not a religious family at all so it was odd that she should have a dream like that. The other thing she would do was to carry on conversations while she was sleeping. She would wake up and say "I was talking just now, wasn't I?" We would laugh, so at least we had a few lighter moments in the hospital.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, I know you've had a pretty tough time of it.

Comment

My daughter saw fuzzy gumdrops on tv while on morphine. She also thought Barney was entertaining. (She was 14 and always hated Barney).
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I had a crazy hallucination after my revision surgeries back in 2002. I was convinced that my feet were producing money and that the Doctors and nurses kept comming into the room and taking it! I was telling them that they couldn't take it but no one listened. I started kicking and screaming and thought I tried to get up and run away but I couldn't get out of bed in reality. I guess I was worrying about the cost of the whole thing.

Comment

We have goats at home and while in recovery from my last surgery, i thought i could see our goats in the trees of the landscape paintings in my room...lol.. I kept trying to point them out to my husband and other family.... they'd just laugh...

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie
            The other thing she would do was to carry on conversations while she was sleeping. She would wake up and say "I was talking just now, wasn't I?" We would laugh, so at least we had a few lighter moments in the hospital.
            I have been reading a lot (transitioning from all that time on my laptop starting with the wifi in Methodist Hospital. I can just imagine the sadist who thought "Let get a bunch of REALLY doped up people and give them Internet access!". OMG, I tried to email one girl (who's Mom had a consult with Hanson) and I gave up after 3 tries to respond ... and frustration over the disconnect between brain, motor skills and fingers.

Another extremely frustrating thing was without fail, I consistently typed ONE key to the right of any I tried to hit. It was genuinely uncanny.

One of the funniest things for me was waking up with a hardcover book, open, cover side out on my tummy ... TYPING ON IT ... in my sleep. (too much time on the laptop, perhaps??)

The other really silly thing was waking myself up talking (to who, about what - specifically -, I have no idea. ). Even MORE SILLY was it took me a good 5 minutes to be SURE it wasn't real, so I kept talking to keep from looking STUPID.

(yes, my IRONY! alarm is screaming loudly ;-)

BTW, Sherie, I have your dishes all cleaned. I know they *could* be disposable, but they were perfect for single sized servings for me. Maybe I can run them out to you before y'all head to St. Louis?

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
              BTW, Sherie, I have your dishes all cleaned. I know they *could* be disposable, but they were perfect for single sized servings for me. Maybe I can run them out to you before y'all head to St. Louis?

Regards,
              Pam
              Pam, please, those are totally disposable, that's what sushi comes in from Krogers. It's not even worth the gas to run them out here. Thanks anyways. Glad to hear your recovery is coming along so well.

Comment

I know - LOL ... I'm a sushi addict at the Kroger over on Shepherd. I was quite surprised how the containers held up, though. And ya gotta admit, portion wise, microwavability, etc. ... they were perfect! Maybe I found them so perfect because they came at such an unexpectedly perfect time!

Plus, I kinda just want to say hi to you and the lil' teeny terrorist (you know I'm joshin', Sheena ... watch me get stopped next time I fly for even kidding about that!) - and show y'all my back - heh. It's hard to find "normal" people who are the least bit impressed - LOL ...

It's only fair you see the stellar outcome of your magical tape job, Sherie!

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

I'm enjoying the h*** out of this thread! Maybe not so funny when you're experiencing these things, but so very funny afterwards.

I don't hallucinate, but I sure have a lot of conversations with myself while asleep and mix my words up a lot when awake, such as asking that my dinner be heated up in the microphone.
                  FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                  10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                  8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                  5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                  2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                  3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

FeliciafeliciaFelicia ... while the microphone line is hilarious, you've said far more funny things.

Don't you remember???

BWAAAAAAAHHHHHAHA!

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Elysia experienced a wonderful trip after surgery! When we arrived in the ICU the first thing she said to us through swollen lips (I gather a reaction to the tape they used with the breathing tube) was ... Flowers! - Yes darling we'll get you some flowers! Pole!! What sweetie?..... There's a pole in my back! Yes darling, you've had an operation! No - take the pole out of my back! Just go to sleep sweetie.... "I can't with this pole in my back".... then all of a sudden, Rabbit!! Lion!! Snake!! and then she would open her eyes wide with "Chicken!!" as loud as ever! At one stage at the top of her voice "Get me a Gun, where's Dr Cree!" and then again "Chicken!!" This went on for about an hour - My husband and myself were in pain!!! From laughter.

It all makes for good recount stories later on. We don't say "cheese" anymore for camera shots it's all "Chicken".

xx
                      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                      Sydney - Australia
                      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie
                        she said she dreamed that angels were holding her still so she could sleep. The strange thing is we're not a religious family at all.
                        I do not believe your daughter was dreaming, and you do not have to be religious to experience the presence of angels. As a young child, my cousin who is now in his 50s, came close to losing his eye in an accident. He had to undergo surgery in an effort to save his eye. While in the hospital, my aunt told me that she would see this little boy in the bed next to my cousin David. All the time he sat there by himself praying the rosary. My aunt asked the little boy why he was hospitalized and he told her he was there to pray for David. My cousin came through surgery and his eye was saved. Upon leaving the hospital my aunt asked the nursing staff who was the little boy who shared the room with David, and they just asked, “what boy?”

Comment

chris and Sherrie.... oooohhh ... that made chills !!!

Aussiemum....lol !!! And i thought goats in the trees were bad....lol..

Comment

Chris,

I agree with you and I love that story.
                            Melissa
                            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Chris

Thank you for that story. I can't say I haven't thought the same thing. No matter what my beliefs, when you feel helpless and your child is suffering like that, there is only prayer, it's almost instinctive. My husband and I were both on our knees praying next to her bed. As soon as she opened her eyes the first thing she told me was about the angels, wether real or not, it gave me chills. I guess if there's a good place for angels, the hospital would be it!

Comment

Working...
                              X