No announcement yet.

Surgeon consult plus some opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure you're right about the length of fusion and recovery. For instance, Dr. Lenke said if this were a thoracic only fusion, she wouldn't need to pre-donate blood but with a long fusion the chances of receiving blood were at aobut 75% so an autologous donation was imperative for us, we didn't want her receiving shelf blood. I'm sure the length of surgery would be several hours less too. The other issue is bending, with a thoracic only fusion, there would be little loss of mobility. My daughter needed help getting out of bed and the sofa for the first 3 weeks after surgery. If your daughter doesn't have such an extensive fusion, she may very well recuperate much quicker than what we've experienced.

My daughter didn't have any serious complications, she did have extreme pain at the drain site (could have been nerve pain from surgery, it just so happened it was at the drain site) but other than that, nothing unusual. She was also still anemic when we brought her home despite receiving her unit of blood, she was very weak for several weeks. It didn't help that she had a very heavy period following surgery that lasted about a week.

Everything that I've read and heard, the limbs are the last thing to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie
      I'm sure you're right about the length of fusion and recovery. For instance, Dr. Lenke said if this were a thoracic only fusion, she wouldn't need to pre-donate blood but with a long fusion the chances of receiving blood were at about 75% so an autologous donation was imperative for us, we didn't want her receiving shelf blood. I'm sure the length of surgery would be several hours less too. The other issue is bending, with a thoracic only fusion, there would be little loss of mobility. My daughter needed help getting out of bed and the sofa for the first 3 weeks after surgery. If your daughter doesn't have such an extensive fusion, she may very well recuperate much quicker than what we've experienced.

There was some difference between what the orthopod told us and what the surgeon told us. The orthopod who hasn't done surgeries in a while told us S would have to donate two units of blood and that she would be out of school 4 weeks and out of gym 9 months. But the surgeon didn't mention blood donation (the date is only 1. 5 months away), and said she would be out for 3 weeks and out of gym 8 months.

My daughter didn't have any serious complications, she did have extreme pain at the drain site (could have been nerve pain from surgery, it just so happened it was at the drain site) but other than that, nothing unusual. She was also still anemic when we brought her home despite receiving her unit of blood, she was very weak for several weeks. It didn't help that she had a very heavy period following surgery that lasted about a week.

Couldn't they do something about the pain at the drain site? That's a shame.

Everything that I've read and heard, the limbs are the last thing to grow.

Well that jives with what the orthopod said. He thought their spine was done growing at 12. The surgeon said there is no set pattern.

Thank you for posting about your daughter's experience. My daughters read the posts here and I'm sure they appreciate reading other stories like your daughters. This board is great because of folks like you and so many others.

(text added so the post will post)
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Pooka1
        Your girls might be interested in attending WakeMed Spine Camp 2008 March 1st from 9am-2pm. There will be surgeons and physical therapists discussing different treatment options and what to expect before and after surgury. Kids will have the chance to meet other children who wear braces, are preparing for surgury or have already recovered from surgery.
        Contact info - 919-350-STAR (ext 7827).
        Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
        Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
        Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
        Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
        Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
        Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by HaleyMom
          Hi Pooka1
          Your girls might be interested in attending WakeMed Spine Camp 2008 March 1st from 9am-2pm. There will be surgeons and physical therapists discussing different treatment options and what to expect before and after surgury. Kids will have the chance to meet other children who wear braces, are preparing for surgury or have already recovered from surgery.
          Contact info - 919-350-STAR (ext 7827).
          HaleysMom,

WOW! Thank you very much for that information! I'll ask my girls if they would like to attend. I really think it would be a very good idea for them to be there. It sounds wonderful!

Is it at big Wake Med? The northern campus on New Falls of Neuse is much closer for us.

Thanks again so much.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

It's at the big Wake Med Campus off of New Bern Road.
            http://www.wakemed.org/topnav.cfm?id...etail&ref=2214
            Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
            Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
            Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
            Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
            Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
            Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by HaleyMom
              It's at the big Wake Med Campus off of New Bern Road.
              http://www.wakemed.org/topnav.cfm?id...etail&ref=2214
              My girls want to go.

I am looking forward to it.

How did you find out about it?

Thanks again,
              sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X