Strange symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange symptoms

I posted this in the adult section but in case you don't look there....

Sheena is nearly 3 months post op and is doing great but the other night I looked at her back and noticed that she has fine hair growing all over, she never had this before and it's only on her back. She has dark hair so it's noticeable.

She's also losing an excessive amount of hair the last few weeks, she has a lot of hair so I'm not especially concerned that she'll go bald anytime soon. She had long thick hair and cut into a short crop to make it easier to take care of and ever since then it's been coming out. Could cutting it have anything to do with this? I'm inclined to think it was the stress of surgery but I don't know for sure.

Just wondering if anyone else has lost a lot of hair after surgery or heard of anyone who had the the other problem. Her periods are normal and she seems fine in every other way so I'm not trying to get myself too worked up but I can't help to worry because these two things seemed to coincide. I'm taking her tomorrow to the pediatr. so any input I can bring would be helpful.

Anesthesia often causes hair loss. My bathroom will be covered with it for months post-op, then it goes back to normal.

Mine's so thick I never notice it missing from my head.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks Pam. I'm sure that's what it is with her hair falling out. Thank goodness she has a ton of it. I had a dream last night that it was me and my hair was coming out in patches, I would be bald if I started losing hair.

Hope you had a decent nights rest. It may not be until the weekend that I can come by. My son is home today not feeling well, hope it's not another round of flu. Talk to you later.

Comment

I am 6 months post op and I still have noticed hair loss. It is not as bad as it was 3 months or 4 months out but it eventually will lessen and be better. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them. Everything is still very fresh and I would love to help.

Comment

Thanks. I took her to the doctor yesterday and she said after a major illness or surgery that loss of hair is quite normal. She also wasn't concerned about the hair growth on her back because she said it wasn't the kind that would indicate hormonal imbalances. The hair is fine and against her dark skin, it's not that bad. I hope it will eventually fall off too.

Take care.

Comment

Heya, I found that I had the same thing - my hair fell out like mad and I grew fine hair on my back and also along the line of my scar too. I guess its just what happens xxxxx
            Jenny
            18 years old
            Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
            Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

Comment

I'm glad to hear Sheena's not the only one (I'm sure you are too)! I think the hair on the back will eventually fall out, someone on the adult section said it happened to them too and at one yr. post op, it had all fallen off.
              Take care.

Comment

Hi Sherie,

Glad to hear everything is ok and no problems. Funny, as I'm getting older I'm experiencing kind of the same thing, hair loss on head, hair growing in places I'd rather it didn't....

Comment

Isn't that the truth! I'll save some of Sheena's hair that's falling out and we'll split it.

We go next week for her post op, I can't wait except it's been freezing in St. Louis. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sherie]Isn't that the truth! I'll save some of Sheena's hair that's falling out and we'll split it.

Yay, I'll finally get the nice, straight hair I've always wanted
                    Good luck at appointment next week, stay warm!

Renee

Comment

Think it's not to worry. Did you hear anything?

I am trying to look at your posts every so often and keep up. Seems she is doing fine otherwise. 3 months flew by. We hope all is well. Keep us posted.
                      Shirley
                      Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Thanks, Shirley, I'll keep you posted. The time has flown by, yet strangely, it seems so long ago.

Comment

Same hair growth around scar

Hi Sherie, and all,
                          So glad you posted about Shena and the hair growth. Amanda has the same hair growth pattern on each side of her scar. She's a hairy gal anyway, we say she has 10 heads of hair on her head, but any fine body hair has always been very fine and blonde, so unnoticeable. This hair growing in parallel to her incision is darker and thicker, so as you said Sherie, noticeable.
                          She doesn't look at her back much, so I really have barely mentioned it to her. She's bothered enough about the fact that her scar, which 2 weeks after surgery was barely noticeable, has now widened to almost 1/4 of an inch at the top and is a little thinner lower down. The surgeon's nurse told her that some skin types just do that and they don't know why. I don't know if it's keloids because the skin is not raised, just widened and still fairly pink/red. She's a very fair skinned young lady who had scarring when she had the chicken pox at age 2.
                          Funny though about the hair - here's hoping it does fall out and that the scar fades as well. Sunscreen starting now even with shirts that cover!
                          Other than that, she's doing great and since speaking with the nurse by phone herself feels more compelled to get moving a bit more and try to very slowly get back into dancing shape.

Take care all - Mary -

Comment

Hi Mary

It's good hearing from you. The hair is very strange, I'm glad to hear more and more people seem to have this problem so it's not so unusual. I'll definitely talk to Dr. Lenke about it this week. Sheena also has a lot of hair
                            (Middle Eastern trait) but this was definitely not there before surgery. Maybe people who already have a tendency for lots of hair have this side effect.

Sheena's scar is also wider at the top and very red/pink. Lori (lordon) told me her son's surgeon said this is normal and expected because we use our arms it will tend to widen the scar out, makes sense to me. I'm sure the color will fade over time.

Sheena's been getting on the treadmill about 15 min. every evening, I had to hold her back from jogging until we get the go-ahead.
                            Take care

Comment

Working...
                            X