The first February surgeries are here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michele,

I'm so glad Sam is home, it will just get better for her from here. When I came home from the hospital we asked here about the wedge pillow and most if not all did not recomend it. My husband went out and bought it any ways and i'm glad he did. I still use it when I need to sit in bed if I want to read, or anything else. Best of luck with the recovery, I hope it continues to go well.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Getting Comfortable

They only had one at the store. If I had two for her it would have been better.
      My husband actually put it between the mattress and the box spring and it is comfortable for sleeping for her. Still haven't found a chair that she is happy sitting up to eat in.

She is like Goldilocks..."This ones's too soft"... "This one's too hard"... Still haven't found the seat that is just right for her. Anyone with any suggestions??

Thanks,
      Michele
      Samsmom
      Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
      42 Degree Lumbar Curve
      Fused T-4 to L-2
      Yale New Haven
      2/5/08

Comment

Michele,

I sat on my couch with one pillow underneath me and one (or 2) pillow behind me. I used a small folding TV try to eat off of. I know other people have had success in recliner chairs. I second what others have said - if you have lots of bed pillows, you can probably arrange them in such a fashion as to make her comfortable.

Good luck to both of you
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Michele

Glad to hear your home and everything is well. That's a rough ride in the hospital...
          Sheena, like Vndy, was most comfortable on the couch with pillows behind and under her and a tv tray. It was probably 4 weeks before she could sit at the table to eat with us.

We bought her a memory foam mattress too, hers is soft and you sink into it. She loves it and has never complained of discomfort since we bought it for her.

take care
          Last edited by Sherie; 02-11-2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Annessa day 5

Hi Everyone

Thank you all so much for asking about Annessa and all your great advice re the meds. I asked for her to come off the morphine and they are giving her different oral meds, and I just left her at the hospital to come home for a shower and she sent me a text to say she had been sick again! However, she has been walking quite a bit and also texted me to say she has just done the stairs (I wanted to be there to see that!). She is waiting for me to go back and then she will have her first shower (boy does she need it, these bed baths are hopeless!). She also managed to tick the last box for getting home when her intenstines decided to wake up this morning (yahoo!). If all goes well it look as if she will be coming home tomorrow, which will be brilliant, I'm just a little apprehensive about it though!

She is taller than me now and has gained 2 inches - now I'm the smallest in the family! Can't believe we are now on the other side of the surgery - it just would have been so much harder without you guys and knowing that you were all there rooting for us every step of the way made such a big difference!

Speak to you soon
            Love
            Anne
            Mum to Annessa, age 15
            53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
            Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
            Edinburgh, Sick Kids
            Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Moms,

You are doing so well with your daughters. You have gone through the worst of it. I wish them all of the best as they recover. It should only get better from here.
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Annessa's home!

Annessa came home this morning and got all emotional and cried when she saw her house! She has been managing the stairs really well and has eaten a proper lunch for the first in a week. The National Health Service have just made a delivery of everything they think we will need - hand grabber, raised toilet seat and frame and a bath seat so she can have a shower.

She got to see her back for the first time today when I held a mirror behind her and she got all emotional again and said that she looked "normal" now and had proper shaped hips. She could hardly get over how straight her back looks. I actually think she is in a bit of shock and that is why she is so emotional as she hadn't been like that in hospital!

So nice to have her home again and get some kind of semblance into our lives. The community nurse is coming in tomorrow to check her wound. Our next appointment for the consultant's clinic is in 3 weeks and we will find out when she can go back to school then.

What a week it's been - I feel like I have aged 10 years but never mind, we are home and she is fine!
                Take care all.
                Anne
                Mum to Annessa, age 15
                Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                Fused T4 - L1

Comment

I am so very happy for both of you.
                  2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                  surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                  Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                  5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                  5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                  6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                  (left open with just clear dressing)
                  6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                  3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Nice to hear Annessa is home. I understand that whole rollercoaster of emotions, especially when you see your back for the first time. At almost 9 weeks post op I am still amazed whenever I look in a mirror. Welcome to the other side! It just keeps getting better.
                    Alicia
                    Geish
                    47 years old, dx at 13
                    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

So happy to hear that Anessa is home. Good luck to all of you.
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Wizard of Oz...

Anne and Annessa: "There's no place like home... there's no place like home..."

I am so glad to hear you're home and doing so well. You're through the hardest part now. I'm thinking of you!
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
                          Anne and Annessa: "There's no place like home... there's no place like home..."

I am so glad to hear you're home and doing so well. You're through the hardest part now. I'm thinking of you!
                          Loving it Susie*Bee!
                          Thanks to all you great guys!
                          Anne
                          Mum to Annessa, age 15
                          Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                          Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Hi Anne,
                            Glad to hear that Annessa is home. Sending healing vibes and warm wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Hugs to you both,
                            Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                            Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                            Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Bless her heart, I think I felt like crying too when we got home. I was never so happy in my life to be home after that hospital stay.

Hope everything is going well. Try to get some rest.

Comment

Sheeee's baaack!

I just thought I would let all of you know that I am back home tonight. Everything went as expected, and my niece says I'm at day 1 home the way I was at about day 10 home the last surgery. I had a few bad cough spasms tonight for some reason, and you all know what that feels like post surgery! I will post more tomorrow but I'm fading fast right now and think I had better get some sleep.

Thanks to ALL OF YOU for your good healing thoughts and kind comments over the last few months.
                                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                                10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                                8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                                5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                                2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                                3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
                                X