No announcement yet.

The first February surgeries are here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the pain is back under control ...

Hanson stopped by to check on me this morning, found out my pain control was sh** without the IV (apparently his jerk of a PA didn't discuss this with him yesterday) and arranged to have someone come up from Anesthesiology to give a shot of buffered lidocaine and place a new IV.

In the interim, I got an intramuscular shot of Dilaudid a bit ago in my shoulder. Much better.

Aside from going back on some type of PCA pain med, my potassium's a little low (IV is certainly preferable to these K-Dur horse pills), and since my blood counts are also down a bit he's going to give me my unit of blood.

I feel fine, but I agree, if the IV's in place, why not use it to bring everything up to snuff?

PT should be here soon ... more updates later!

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Glad to hear things are going well now
      2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
      surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
      Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
      5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
      6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
      (left open with just clear dressing)
      6/6/08 recleaned and closed
      3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I cannot believe, you girl!

My gosh, Pam, I was a drooling, teeth gnashing fool in the hospital! I appreciate that we did not have to wait until you got home to hear how you made it. Keep up the good work, honey!!!

How are the other surgical scolies doing today??????
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

All I can say is "I want what she has."

Comment

Please add another member to the prayer list....

My internet server dropped me in the dirt a few days ago and had to upgrade the tower by my house. Even though I have jumped in at other locations to check my email and checked the forum, I am sure I have missed some stuff. I did notice we're missing a brand new member (I met the night before I went in for my hysterectomy, but sent her the website so she could join us) She did not know how to edit her signature to reflect her surgical date and scoli info, nor how to post, so she just read as much as she could. She had surgery yesterday (Feb 6, 2008) in Plano at Baylor and had both anterior and posterior done , and doing well in ICU. You all will like her too, and I will help to show her the ropes of navigating the forum site after she gets home from rehab. Her forum name is Kwiltnangel, , she's 56, her name is Eve, and she lives in East Texas. Best wishes to all of you!
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Annessa Update

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that Annessa's fusion today went really well. She is in ICU and was able to move her toes and feet no problem.

She is very drowsy at the moment, and they are getting on top of her pain medication.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped us get through this part.

Great to read Pam's posts again!

Will keep you posted!

Anne
              Mum to Annessa, age 15
              53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
              Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
              Edinburgh, Sick Kids
              Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Hooray!

That's wonderful news! I know you've been through quite a day--such an emotional roller coaster (!) but now you can breathe again and get ready for the recovery. It was good pm-ing you today. Annessa is so lucky to have such a loving mother to support and encourage her through the recovery. Blessings to you and Annessa as you begin that next part of the adventure... You'll both do great!
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

On the &quot;other side!&quot;

My surgery was completed on the 29th- all went well! So glad it's over and now the healing can begin. I was in ICU the first two days and went home on Sunday. My nurses were good about giving me my meds. whether I was asleep or awake. I must have really been out of it at times because the one young male nurse got my attention by saying, "Mom,mom" in an urgent voice. It worked!
                  So okay February surgeries it's YOUR turn.
                  CSC
                  Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                  S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

csc,
                    No matter what you're ALWAYS a mom, no matter how out of it
                    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                    (left open with just clear dressing)
                    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Pam-I can't believer how good you are doing! I can only hope to do half as good as you next week. Keep me posted on your progress and good luck to you when you get home!Have you seen xrays of your new back?

Comment

Cripes, Pam!

I thought you would at least spend ONE day mumbling, drooling and laying about like the rest of us do when we have surgery. But NOOOOOOOOOO .... you're directing the entire hospital floor with one hand and posting on your laptop with the other! Well, dear, glad to hear you're doing so well but I won't even try to compete. You won't hear from me until I'm home again and in my own bed. But if they put me on that loopy-loopy valium again, I just MIGHT be as funny as you!
                        Feliciafeliciafelicia
                        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by trulyaries
                          I thought you would at least spend ONE day mumbling, drooling and laying about like the rest of us do when we have surgery. But NOOOOOOOOOO ...
                          FFF, I mumble *every* day, and try to avoid drooling at all costs only because it clashes with my skin tone ;-).

Rest assured, I AM lying around ... a LOT!

KDawn, I haven't seen my xrays - and I'm not even sure what exists of post-op. I'll grab a CD of any that do before I leave the hospital for sure!

Also, Hanson took a ton of still pictures, and will be putting together a PowerPoint presentation for me ... I'll toss it up on the web and post a link as soon as I get it ;-).

Michele/Sam and Anne/Annessa, I am SO happy to hear our young ladies came through everything so well.

And, CSC, congrats to you too. Too funny about the wake up call of "Mom!" ...

It seems we had more on the calendar for the month than listed, but it also sounds like everyone has done fantastically. Can't wait to see that continue!

Regards to all,
                          Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

csc--yep, once a mom, always a mom--we always have that ability to hear that urgent call for us "through the fog" of sleep/drugs... So glad to "hear" from you again and know you are progressing. Keep up the good (hard) work.

Pam--sure am looking forward to seeing your power point--it may be a slow show for me with my darned dial up! But I'll watch it somehow. That's amazing Dr. Hanson arranged for pics like that. Wow! He's some doctor! And I'm glad to hear you are "lying around a lot." So many of us really did try fairly hard to be tough, but failed miserably. You definitely are an inspiration--and then some, but it's good to see you're also needing to rest and recover after this huge surgery. Thanks for sharing that human side of your recovery, oh Wonder Woman! And let us know when you're dancing and directing the hospital crew--although it sounds like maybe you already are... You're a delight to hear from!

kdawn and trulyaries-- I'm really looking forward to those good reports we'll hear from you in just a little bit. Do you have someone that can let us know the good news before you're able to post it yourselves? I know you'll both do GREAT!

This Feb. post has really been a good place to visit! Everyone--thanks for all those great posts!
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Sam vs. Pam

Hi Pam,

Good to hear all went well. Sam had a very rough couple of days, but is now on a nice cocktail of Dilaudin, Reglan, Zofram and Tylenol with a valium chaser. That seems to be doing the trick.

I thought it was the kids who do better on the scoliosis surgeries, but you are proving that theory wrong. It is not age it is attitude.

Sam is hopefully going to sit in a char today for the first time. And Pam, did I hear that you were running the marathon??

This is a good point for all readers. Every surgery is differnt and every person is different, but all manage to get a little bit better each day.

Best,
                              Michele

PS I will give a detailed history of our surgical experience when we get home and not too cross eyed from lack of sleep!
                              Samsmom
                              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                              Fused T-4 to L-2
                              Yale New Haven
                              2/5/08

Comment

Thanks, Susie*Bee. I'll think about who I might be able to get to post for me. Or ... I have Pam's phone number. Perhaps I'll call her if I'm up to it and have her give you a hilarious rundown of my surgery!
                                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                                10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                                8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                                5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                                2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                                3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
                                X