No announcement yet.

The first February surgeries are here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That woman is something else. I'm usually still drooling and drugged on Day 1. She's throwing down quite a challenge to me for my surgery next week - I'm going to have to try and out-do her!
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Way to go!

Yep, she's amazing! I know after a long day of surgery, I was hooked up to all kinds of contraptions and bags and was pretty much a zombie while in ICU for 24 hours... and it didn't get much better for awhile. I don't know how she does what she does! I'm so glad to hear she's doing so well!!! I had emailed her something about her dancing down the hall as she's discharged from the hospital--but at this rate she'll be dancing sooner than that!

Anyone hear how Sam's surgery went?

trulyaries--you'll do fine. Don't feel you have to measure up to Wonder Woman!
      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 02-06-2008, 07:22 AM. Reason: addition
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Sams doing well!

YAY! It is all over. Sam is doing really well! No problems or complications and I think a really good correction. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. They worked! I'll post details in a few days!
        Love to all,
        Michele
        Samsmom
        Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
        42 Degree Lumbar Curve
        Fused T-4 to L-2
        Yale New Haven
        2/5/08

Comment

Hurray for Sam!

One thing I worry about with Pam, which I expressed to her, is that I hope she's able to contain that energy for awhile so she doesn't jeopardize her fusion. I speak from experience - in my desire to get going I have sometimes overdone it and my doctors had to rein me in. I know there's a few of you out there who have had the same experience. But she will probably still put us all to shame.
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I'm so happy to hear Sam's surgery went well and she's doing good! You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be sure to keep us all updated!
            Becky, 46 years old
            Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
            Ignored until 448/07
            Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
            Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
            Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
            Fused T-10 to L-5
            14 titanium pedicle screws
            Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
            Email

Comment

Michelle,

That's GREAT news about Sam! You must be so relieved!
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

yay!!!

I am so glad to hear those two are doing so well!!!! I bet Pam has those nurses all straightened out and organized. Best wishes to our February folks, and I am excited to hear how you are progressing and your corrections. Love ya !!!
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hey all ... just checkin' in. Making progress, I suppose ...

(oh, and I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Hanson took in T4 also ... and my original pain is GONE - yay!)

Spent about 1-1/2 hours in PACU yesterday, came to a private room ... woke up *starving*. Ate like 3 broths, 3 Italian ices, TONS of water. Around 11:00, I was *starving * again, so the nurse finally brought me some cheese and crackers.

Had my first 2 PT's today: Walked 70 feet this morning, and sat up for an hour. Afrter that session, we noticed the IV in my right hand (for Dilaudid, Vanco, fluids) was leaking under the skin.

No big deal (I thought) ... had a back up hep-lock in the other hand: Unfortunately, it proved leaky as well.

The nurses on the floor refused to give me a buffered lidocaine shot before running another IV for Dilaudid, so I refused an IV. Managing on oral meds blows (what part of "I don't care if I'm asleep when I'm due for the pain meds - wake me UP" do some of these nurses not understand????).

Later this afternoon I walked 300 feet and sat for 45 minutes.

Had a pretty sh**ty day trying to manage pain orally, but we're staggering Percodan, Norco and Valium now - and I'm making it.

I would've killed for a hot water bag or heating pad earler (for muscular pain), but all they'll give you is some tepid plastic mat (that is basically useless). Courtney had a super idea a bit ago when she and Ben brought me my laptop.

She took rubber gloves (there's a box in here), doubled two together (put on her hand - then put another over it before carefully removing) and filled with extra warm water (think chicken shaped, warm water balloons). OMG, they feel soooooooooooo good on my ribcage!

Anyway ... that's the latest. Just thought Id say hi to everyone, and thanks for all the well wishes. I cannot WAIT to get home!

Catheter and drain are supposed to come out tomorrow - and I HOPE I'll be home by Friday. I definitely didn't plan to be off IV meds this soon, but one more obstacle out of the way ...

I'll update soon ...

How did other surgeries go? Norco's kicking in ... so I'll have to check back tomorrow .

Regards,
                  Pam
                  Last edited by txmarinemom; 02-07-2008, 12:38 AM.
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Ah, just read about Sam ... fantastic!

And, no worries feliciafeliciafelicia, they say I'm not overdoing it ... just unusual. (like I've never heard THAT before ... .

Regards,
                    Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey Pam,

I knew as soon as Courtney told me she was bringing you the laptop that we'd soon be seeing you post again. It's good to have you back! You've been missed - and while a few of us posted updates on you, I'm sure we weren't nearly as entertaining

Hang in there - you're doing GREAT!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Pam, you're incredible!!!!! So far as the leaking IV's go, it sounds like they both blew (infiltrated). You probably won't notice it now because of all of the pain meds, but later, if you have pain at the two sites, hot packs should help with the discomfort, although the swelling will probably be down quite a bit by the time your pain meds are cut back significantly. You are such an inspiration. With that said, don't sweat the roller coaster of emotions as it's a normal part of the whole thing. Glad to see you getting right back into things.

Comment

Originally posted by The Slice
                          ... So far as the leaking IV's go, it sounds like they both blew (infiltrated).
                          Ya think??

Originally posted by The Slice
                          With that said, don't sweat the roller coaster of emotions as it's a normal part of the whole thing.
                          I realize you're just trying to help, but where did I say - or even infer - I'm experiencing a "roller coaster of emotions"?

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Obviously not &quot;out of it&quot;!!!

Pam--so good to see the feisty "you" back on board here.

You certainly do put most of us to shame with how well you are doing, but that is so great!

Sorry about the IV probs, but it sounds like you're dealing with it really well. Keep us posted on what your daily activities entail, so we can stand amazed... chins hitting the floor, mouths agape, and so on. I really don't know how you do it, but am glad you do. I'm sure it has to be an inspiration for so many of the "still to go" or "undecideds" out there. Take care-- and looking forward to your next post already...

(Slice, I hope you've developed pretty thick skin and the ability to learn... you are well-intentioned, I know. You'd better tread lightly when you post to Pam, and re-read everything to see how it can be taken the wrong way... or else be prepared for a blast from her.)
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Pam,

Glad to see that you're back! I knew it wouldn't be long until we heard from you again. Happy to see that you're still spunky as ever. Why in the world would the nurses refuse to give you a lidocaine shot? That sure must have boiled your blood!

All the best to you. Sending some healing vibes your way and well wishes for a smooth recovery.

Michele,
                              So happy to hear that things went well with Sam. Welcome to the "other side". Continued well wishes for a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated on her progress!

Hugs,
                              Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                              Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                              Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Wow Pam...I can't believe you are actually posting! You amaze me. Glad to hear the surgery went well, but oral pain meds suck. I really liked that button! Actually I didn't push it all that much but when I did it seemed to pump forever and then...bliss! And you are eating! All I wanted for close to 3 days was ice and juice. When will you start organizing races around the nurses station? Really, you are an inspiration to us all, even to those of us that thought we did really well in the hospital. Keep pushing, just don't push too hard. Keep us posted.

Alicia
                                Geish
                                47 years old, dx at 13
                                +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                                Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Working...
                                X