Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I be Helped? and if so who can help me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be Helped? and if so who can help me?

2004 logged in with Disability questions. Question is more serious now. I'm 66, Idipathic--surgery
    #1 (1985) Harrington Rod/Luque instrumentation and spinal fusion T7-L4.
    (straight standing film---42 left convexity T1 through T8
    ---74 right convexity T8 through L3
    ---36 left convexity L3 to pelvis.
    correction was as follows:
    ---31 high thoracic left convexity
    ---60 thorocolumbar right convexity
    #2 (1986) Re-exploration lumbar spine with defects in fusion mass and additional bone graft.

Now I'm into flat back syndrome
    distal junctional dengerative disease, L4-5 and L5-S1
    DDD, Cspine
    Sagittal vertical axis measures 8.2
    recommendation: a comgined anterior posterior procedure with anterior interbody fusion at L4-5 and L5-S1 followed by, a posterior approach with either partial or complete removal of current implants, decompression at L4-5 and L5-S1, pedicle subtraction osteotomy at L2 or L3 and re-instrumentation to the sacrum with Galveston pelvic fixation to restore sagittal balance.

Question is my bones????In 2005 had to have both breast removed because of cancer..(MD Anderson --Houston....Chemo and the Arimidex that I am presently on for 5 years is not very bone friendly.
    I'm desperate: Need the very best surgeon...Ill go anywhere...

Dr. Fulton S. Fulton Tompkins did my surgery...He was a partner with the Dr. Harrington in Houston many years ago. Dr. Tompkins is now deceased.

Please feel free to ask quesitons...some times I do not make myself clear...I use the excuse CHEMO FOG
    Last edited by Kim; 02-02-2008, 10:20 PM.

Hi Kim...

Dr. Keith Bridwell in St. Louis.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank-you...I will give telephone call and see if he has a site web.
      Appreciate your help.
      Kim

Comment

I'm just curious

Who made the recommendation for surgery? That's quite a specific list as to what should be done. Is whoever made that recommendation not being considered to perform the surgery?
        I'm sure the surgeon you choose will take into consideration your entire medical history, including your bone density.
        Best of luck to you.
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

The recomendation made is from a Scoliosis Revision Surgeon...I'm just starting to gather information and should have stated I am searching for Excellent Surgeons names. Thanks! for the help in clarifying my statement.
          I have confidence in this surgeon, but deep down I feel like another opinion is needed. First, on my agenda is to talk to Oncologist and see what my risks would be in going off of the cancer treatments. Then we are still dealing with old osteoprosis bones, cancer, emotions.????Lots of IF's

Comment

Hi Kim,

You sound just like my Mom, only she says she has "Chemo Brain". She wears a t-shirt that says, "I have Chemo Brain, what's your excuse?" I love it!

I'm sorry I can't offer much advice, but you do need to talk to your oncologist before any surgery is done. My mom fell and broke her ankle which required a plate and seven screws (much smaller surgery than yours will be) and her oncologist made her stay off chemo for a month post-op to give her body a chance to heal.

Ask your oncologist if there is another chemo you could use that is more bone friendly. If nothing else, maybe he/she could suggest what you can take to help with your bones. Have you ever been told to drink the drinks bodybuilders drink? Not sure anymore what they are called, but they are loaded with calories and vitamins.

As for a second opinion, it never hurts.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Snoopy
              Appreciate your response and suggestion. Every post I recieve helps by giving me a boarder view. My personaility is that I want to try and turn every rock before a decision is made....then I can go into whatever, feeling I have done all my homework. Not having a companion or family close by---seems to be emotionally overbearing at times...
              Harrington Rod certainly did it's job for 23 years...Praying that whatever is needed now will be as successful.

Kim

Comment

Working...
              X