Herrington rods 10yrs ago...now severe pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herrington rods 10yrs ago...now severe pain

I had herrington rods put in to help with my scoliosis. I also have a congenital heart disease, so it was important to stop the curvature before it effected my heart and lungs. I don't know the particulars on my curvature. I know it looks like an "S" and was also rotating. It's 10 years later and now I suffer severe nerve pain. I have had x-rays and CT scans to make sure there are no breaks in the hardware. Everything is intact.

I have been on narcotic medication for over a year. I hate taking the stuff as I know how addictive it can be. My GP can't figure out why I am having pain, other than that, maybe my curve is pressing on nerves. This is debilitating at times, I am not able to sit or stand for long periods of time. I don't work, due to my heart condition...so at least I don't have that to worry about.

I am just curious, if anyone else suffers from nerve pain after they have been fused??

Nerve pain after surgery

Yes, I have nerve pain, though it is the burning tingling type. I have severe arthritis in the lumbar vertebrae just below my fusion, and the vertebrae have slipped a little, pinching the nerve. The burning and quadricep muscle weakness are in the distribution of the femoral nerve, which seems unusual. I'm getting by on the med neurotin, but I have lost a lot of walking ability in the past year. My Harrington Rod surgery was done over 40 years ago.
    1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I wear orthodics that help some. I am also being treated with an old anti seizure drug (which works on the nerve receptors) called Gabapentin. It has done wonders, the pain isn't nearly as bad as it was. I find that my nerve pain, which is that burning, tingling and sometimes it feels like someone is scraping at my bones, is worse on rainy days and humid weather. Due to my heart condition I am not able to take anti inflamatories. So narcotics are the only answer thus far . It's nice to know that I am not crazy, or imagining my pain.

Comment

I do believe neurontin and gabapentin are one and the same drug... I took it for awhile along with Norco, but no longer take either. I was having some real issues with leg pain for awhile after my surgery... and the neurontin stopped that.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Gabapentin is the generic version of the brand Neurontin.
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Oh duh..sorry! lol. Glad to hear it's worked for people. I can't imagine my life without it!

Comment

Nerve drugs

Yes, Neurotin and Gabapentin are the same drug. It is not a narcotic. Very few side effects. Someone online spoke of neurotin brain, which describes the slight fuzziness in my thinking that I maybe experience. Or maybe that fuzziness is a product of my 53 years. Or both. But I am able to work every day at my professional job, so it's not a big deal.
              1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Working...
              X