Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another op, third in a year

Hi all,

You may or may not remember that I had an anterior fusion in January 2007 and then another op in April 07 to remove the stumps left behind when two of my ribs were removed as the were protruding.

I have been in a massive amount of pain since then and am still on all the pain meds and using a TENS machine. My pain management doctor (at my local hospital) thought that my pain was muscular.

Anyway, I had an appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday for my one year check. I thought that I would just be discharged, as apart from the pain I have had no other problems.

To my dismay, it turns out that my pain is caused by the fact that my bone graft didn't take. Two of my vertabrae are rubbing together and the disc has slightly slipped. I have go to go for a CT scan in Stanmore in the next few weeks and then back in for more surgery to correct it, which means yet more time off work . I have only been back since September as it is.

I am so disapointed. I was hoping to get back to full time work in the next few weeks. I thought that finally everything was coming together and I could see the (now very bright) light at the end of the tunnel.

Now I feel like I have been thrown back to square one. I am so devestated by it. It seems that whenever something is going right for me, something has to happen to ruin it. My fiance and I recently got engaged and I was so happy last weekend as I had picked my dress, but as usual my happiness didn't last long.

I'm sorry if my post is a bit negative, but I am so upset.

Kazyn x
    Last edited by kazyn; 02-01-2008, 05:26 AM. Reason: amendment to title
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Originally posted by kazyn
    Hi all,

You may or may not remember that I had an anterior fusion in January 2007 and then another op in April 07 to remove the stumps left behind when two of my ribs were removed as the were protruding.

I have been in a massive amount of pain since then and am still on all the pain meds and using a TENS machine. My pain management doctor (at my local hospital) thought that my pain was muscular.

Anyway, I had an appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday for my one year check. I thought that I would just be discharged, as apart from the pain I have had no other problems.

To my dismay, it turns out that my pain is caused by the fact that my bone graft didn't take. Two of my vertabrae are rubbing together and the disc has slightly slipped. I have go to go for a CT scan in Stanmore in the next few weeks and then back in for more surgery to correct it, which means yet more time off work . I have only been back since September as it is.

I am so disapointed. I was hoping to get back to full time work in the next few weeks. I thought that finally everything was coming together and I could see the (now very bright) light at the end of the tunnel.

Now I feel like I have been thrown back to square one. I am so devestated by it. It seems that whenever something is going right for me, something has to happen to ruin it. My fiance and I recently got engaged and I was so happy last weekend as I had picked my dress, but as usual my happiness didn't last long.

I'm sorry if my post is a bit negative, but I am so upset.

Kazyn x
    Dear Kazyn

I am so sorry to hear that your bone graft has not taken and you are having to have more surgery in March. I am not surprised you are feeling down and upset. You have had a hard year and a lot of pain. I am hoping that soon all of this will be resolved and you can get on with your life.

Congratulations on your engagement and I wish you both every happiness.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Anne
    Last edited by Neesasmum; 02-01-2008, 05:46 AM.
    Mum to Annessa, age 15
    53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
    Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
    Edinburgh, Sick Kids
    Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Hi Kazyn -
      I kind of know how you feel, although I'm not in the midst of planning something wonderful like your wedding. I will be having my 4th surgery (2nd one in a year) on February 11 for some of the same reasons. I will be having an anterior discectomy and additional fusion.

Just wanted you to know I understand how disappointed you are and wish you the best going forward.
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Hang in there Kazyn. Things have a way of working themselves out. And, you're not alone. Many of us on here have probably felt like you do many times. I know I have. You have a wonderful event to plan for so keep your eye on that ball. The surgery will come and go but your wedding planning will be a wonderful way to heal. Krysi

Comment

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. You have made me feel so much better. It's nice to know that I'm not alone
          Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
          Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

kazyn--I'd just like to echo what the others have said... and also let you know I'm thinking of you and know you'll come through this setback with flying colors. You are strong-- you've been through so much already and to deal with the pain you've been having, you obviously are strong! And what incentive you have for your recovery! You will look so beautiful in that dress you already picked out! Have you and your fiance come up with a ballpark date for your wedding yet? Or is it going to be a "wait and see" based on your surgery? Keep us posted on the fun things--we'd like to share (vicariously!) in the joy of the event/planning. Have you picked colors for your wedding? Bridesmaid dresses? There are so many things to do, and you'll have a little extra "down" time for planning. So that may be a positive effect out of a negative situation. And hopefully with this surgery, a lot of that pain you're having now will disappear and you can start off your married life without all that. Look forward to the excitement and joy that will be coming soon... and that should help you get through the disappointment and challenges of this next surgery. Hang in there!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Susie, you really have made me feel a lot better about this. I am kind of accepting of it now, I mean, I am going to have to have it done no matter what, so whats the point of getting into a state about it? It's not going to change anything and you're right, I have so much other stuff to look forward to.

We have set the date and booked our venue. The wedding is in May 09, so we have about 16 months to go.
              We are getting married here ...
              Seckford Hall

I'm having three bridesmaids, my younger sister, my fiance's younger sister (they will be 23 and 22 at the time of our wedding) and our niece who will be 7. They will be dressed in deep red.

I went for my first lot of measurements for my dress this afternoon, it's gorgeous. I'm so happy, after my first op last year I lost about 2 1/2 stone, so I'm so pleased with how it looks.

There's a pic of my dress here...
              Pic of my dress

I'll keep you all posted,

Thanks again,

Kazyn xxx

Comment

Thatta girl!

I'm so glad that things are looking up and you are making such progress with wedding plans! Thanks for sending the links! Seckford Hall is quite a place! And your dress is absolutely gorgeous. You will have a fairy tale wedding and be a beautiful bride! Hang in there!

That is amazing and wonderful that you lost so much weight--assuming that you had extra to take off, since you sounded like there was. I gained in the hospital and then during the holidays-- and am trying to get some of that off... it is s-o-o-o hard, so I'm more than a little jealous of how much you lost! I bet you are truly lookin' good!
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 02-07-2008, 02:20 PM. Reason: addition
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

feel your pain

hi hang in there. i totally feel your pain. i just got out of the hospital after my 7th surgery in a year. hardware failure, rod size was to long ,a couple of serious mrsa infections a doctor that was a moron. but i'm trying to keep a positive outlook. it can be really hard but try to think positive and take it day by day. lor

Comment

Kazyn this is to you

[QUOTE=kazyn]Hi all,

I read your message and feel so much pain for you. If you're just now getting married (you didn't say how many) then you are probably getting read for that first marriage, which is a wonderful time but may not be the way you feel right now. Is there is any chance of postponing the wedding so your body will have time to heal?

As to the rest of your message, don't feel alone. There are so many of us who have had multilple surgeries but to my knowledge, there's not a single soul that is keep a big book writing down that Kazyn is about to go under another one. In other words, I don't think anyone keeps records.

I finished my fifth surgery on January 28th which was 4 revisions plus the original operation. Prior to that it was in September. I'm going back to see my Dr. on Tue to find out the next joyful step in this journey. I have not felt as good this time as I have in previous surgeries, but I think our bodies get worn out. Esp. when my doctor said *don't exercise* - the only thing I can do is 15 min. a day on my treadmill. I also realize I'm not eating right. I'm not much of a cook, actually I hate to cook, and have been making do with TV dinners. It's just me and my 89 year old mother, and I told her yesterday that we simply must get some vegetables daily. I suggested going out to a cafeteria as a means to get aother problem going, but she doesn't want to go. I asked her today if I could get her some baby food and she says absolutely not, that it didn't taste like "people food" (she has no teeth)

Back to you Kazyn - you have to do what you have to do. Probably couldn't be much of a wife if you were in pain and in weird positions. It doens't take all that long to fix it relatively speaking. 4months.

Diane
                    Diane in Dallas
                    Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                    Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                    Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                    Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                    Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                    Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                    Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Rib stump

How did you know that there was rib left? did you see it in an x-ray. Was there a certain type of pain? I still have at least 3 out of 7 days every week that are pain days. I am about 1 yr. and 1/2 post op. I am not sure if all of this pain is normal? I have went to my dr. plenty if times and re did physical therapy and i still have had no relief. I did x-rays and a ct and they said i was fine and i would just always have pain. I hope this is not true. I wish I knew what was causing this. Thanks.

Stephanie
                      Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 rib removed
                      June 5, 2006

Comment

Working...
                      X