Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anybody Wear Their Brace For Gym Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anybody Wear Their Brace For Gym Class?

I have a TLSO Brace. I take mine off for gym and sports, but is there anyway I can leave it on? It's hard plastic, so it's hard to move it, but does anybody leave it on? I'd really like to get some extra hours in, so I can lead to a quicker recovery. Thanks!
    braceyourself.

My daughter wears her Spinecor brace for gym.
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Really having it on for an hour or two more is not going to affect it, and your body needs rest! In my school part of your grade is participation, doesn't matter if you have a brace or whatever, Im supposed to wear it for sports like tennis and volleyball...(i have a tslo/boston brace as well) but my mom said not to, as i dont want to fail gym haha well I woudl just do what you feel is right, and if you do wear it dont be surprised if it may affect your grade! Best of luck to you though, -Danielle
      Danielle
      14 Freshwoman
      December 1st got no head the boston brace
      Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
      In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
      In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
      We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Originally posted by ElleBelleCurvz
        Im supposed to wear it for sports like tennis and volleyball...(i have a tslo/boston brace as well) but my mom said not to, as i dont want to fail gym haha well I woudl just do what you feel is right, and if you do wear it dont be surprised if it may affect your grade! Best of luck to you though, -Danielle
        Danielle,

There are protections available to every student in a public school that prevents your gym teacher or ANY teacher from grading you poorly due to physical limitations caused by wearing a brace.

If your mother is truly under the impression it can affect your grade, she needs to get with your school counselor. In fact, it would probably take little else than to chat with your gym teacher.

You might want to think before advising someone else "it's okay to be out of it a few more hours because your body needs a rest". You're not a physician, and specifically, not HER physician.

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Wow Danielle, I play tennis and volleyball too! Those are my two favorite sports, and the ONLY ones I play!
          braceyourself.

Comment

haha shweet well my teachers actually very nice and understanding, and i know they dont try to too much but really all you are graded on is participation, attendance and if you are dressed correctly...i dont know about other schools but thats how it is...and its not going to change so...i cant really perform to my best abilities with my brace on
            Danielle
            14 Freshwoman

Comment

...i dont know about other schools but thats how it is...
              Right. You're 13 - and you *don't* know.

Again, you should refrain from giving recommendations of how much time is suitable (by you and your Mom's opinion) in a brace ... to *anyone*.

You and your mother (and I HOPE she'd be a bit taken aback at your posts here) can disregard your doctor's instructions if you choose. Don't rationalize your theories into fact for anyone else.

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

I dont see anything wrong with what I have said, afterall it is my opinion she doesn't have to take it... and I would appreciate it if you would stop attacking me in all the posts I make, and my mother is on my side 100%

Just so you know, Im in a very delicate situation rite now too..and I cant take crap from anyone else either
                Danielle
                14 Freshwoman

Comment

I dont see anything wrong with what I have said, afterall it is my opinion she doesn't have to take it... and I would appreciate it if you would stop attacking me in all the posts I make, and my mother is on my side 100%

Just so you know, Im in a very delicate situation rite now too..and I cant take crap from anyone else either
                  Best of luck to you and your "delicate situation" (and I have no idea why that applies).

If it does apply, Danielle, *I'm* in a bit of a situation, as well: I was 13 (and like you, thought I knew it all), didn't wear my brace as prescribed, and now I'm set for surgery Feb 5th. Chew on that one before you believe you know more than your ortho.

You're right ... she doesn't have to "take your opinion", but you're giving your opinion as FACT. There's a difference. That's nice your mother "supports you 100%" in your non-compliancy; I hope she doesn't regret it down the road.

And, BTW, kiddo, I'm not attacking you: I merely suggested you don't advise someone on time in their brace. You can do what you want with *your* body, but it's irresponsible to tell someone ELSE less time "in brace" is okay.

Thus ends my battle of wits with a 13 year old.

Pam
                  Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-27-2008, 06:56 AM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

I take off my brace for gym. I find it very hard to breath in, and it really hurts me. I have talked to my doctor, and she said that I do not need to wear my TLSO brace when I am being active.
                    I think it is totally up to you and your doctor about keeping your brace on for gym. If it doesn't give you any problems, then you should be able to keep it on for gym!
                    Good Luck!
                    Last edited by outdoorgirl; 01-27-2008, 03:15 PM.
                    Hi there!
                    My name is Emily
                    I am from Canada
                    I wear a Boston Brace
                    My curves are 27* and 32*
                    I love to be outside, play sports and dance
                    "The best way out is always through
                    "

Comment

It's alright, guys, I made up my mind, so you don't have to argue anymore. I see where you're both coming from, and it's great that you each have your own independent opinions.

Anyways... Thanks! It's good to know that I'm not the only one taking my brace off for gym. My gym teacher is really.... messed up, so she grades us on ability and stuff, and I think that it's probably best for my grade to take it off. It's really hard to have to get it on in 5 minutes after gym, though. I guess it'll take practice.
                      braceyourself.

Comment

good luck with taking it on and off for gym, i had the same issue withbeing graded on ability and such, hteres not much else to grade-i start gym tho in 2 days but gl!

-danielle
                        Danielle
                        14 Freshwoman

Comment

Awesome, thanks, you've been a big help.
                          braceyourself.

Comment

Well I can't tell you to wear your brace or not for gym.
                            But I don't because I dont want to deal with other people
                            asking what it is in the locker room. In my school the nurses
                            office has a little room so i take it off there and i come a little
                            late for gym but the gym teacher is fine with it. I can't
                            bend or anything in my brace [ i have a boston too ]
                            and that kind of takes away the point of gym. i want to have
                            fun like everyone else does. so i take mine off. (:
                            i hope this helps.
                            i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

UPDATE:

I start gym tomoro actually and in case i feel wierd about taking mine off (which i prbly will teh first few days altho i kno evry1) we have private bathrroms in the locker rooms, adn our lockers can fit my brace...but if not id ask the gym teacher if it can go in their office? mine said ok...but idk just ask ur gym teacher wheres the best place to put it, id hate for me or any1 to have thier brace stolen or hidden somwher...i wuld feel horrible personally well gl
                              Danielle
                              14 Freshwoman

Comment

Working...
                              X