lumbar correction only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lumbar correction only?

I just went to Cleveland Clinic today and met with a surgeon Dr. Mclain. I am 50 years old and haven't had any previous surgery for my scoliosis. He suggested a followup in 3 months and a series of x-rays at that time.He was suggesting surgery since my curve is 70 degrees lumbar and 65 degrees thoracic. The surgery he suggested was a lumbar correction only and then to monitor the thoracic curve to see if it did not progress. Has anyone heard of just a lumbar correction and not a correction of the thoracic also at the same time.

Karen50

Hi Karen- I am fused T11 to L-5. My upper curve has reduced a bit.
    they got about a 50% correction on me & my curve was close to 100 degrees. It has seemed to stabilize the upper curve. Lynne

Comment

Yes, Karen. You will find many here who have just had the lower thoracic spine and/or lumbar levels corrected. My most recent x-rays reveal 55º thoracic and 80º lumbar and A/P from T4 to the sacrum was initially advised. However, after reviewing my bending film, Dr. Gupta in Chicago recommends posterior from T9 to the sacrum which is what Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis recommended. Dr. Bridwell did say though that I may eventually require an upward extension of the fusion. I think some surgeons are re-thinking the concept of fusing the entire spine in favor of a wait and see attitude.

Comment

Welcome...

Hello Karen50-

I don't have any info to offer on your question, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and give you love and support on your journey. You're wise to investigate and be prepared in making your decision, as we all have done a lot of soul searching on our own journeys. Here, you're NEVER alone !!! I think you're on the right track. God Bless...
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hi Karen -- My main curve was 70 degrees with a compensatory thoracic curve of 30 degrees....my thoracic curve straightened up quite a bit with the huge correction I got on the lumbar curve. Good luck to you.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
          X