Clear All

• Anyone have a Providence brace???

Hey everyone! i'm brand new to this so here's a little about me:
    -i am 13
    -i was diagnosed at the end of summer '07
    -my curves right now are about 18*T and 10*L
    -i am going into a providence in a few weeks
    -im a dancer (ballet and modern)
    Does anybody have a providence brace? i'm going into one very soon so i was wonderin if anybody has some advice to offer. im recently diagnosed so this is my first brace. yea so does with a providence have any advice???
    Last edited by scoliodancer; 01-22-2008, 02:09 PM.

I'm bringing curvy back

I don't know of anyone in a providence brace, but just wanted to wish you good luck with it! Its nice that you will only have to be braced at night. Good luck!
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Originally posted by scoliodancer

Hey everyone! i'm brand new to this so here's a little about me:
      -i am 13
      -i was diagnosed at the end of summer '07
      -my curves right now are about 18*T and 10*L
      -i am going into a providence in a few weeks
      -im a dancer (ballet and modern)
      Does anybody have a providence brace? i'm going into one very soon so i was wonderin if anybody has some advice to offer. im recently diagnosed so this is my first brace. yea so does with a providence have any advice???
      Hi Scolidancer,
      My daughter wore the Providence brace. It was a little uncomfortable at the beginning like a new pair of shoes, but then she got used to it. Actually, she had a hard time sleeping without it! It felt really good on her back. Give it a few days and don't get discouraged. I am sure you will be used to it in no time.

Best of luck!
      Samsmom
      Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
      42 Degree Lumbar Curve
      Fused T-4 to L-2
      Yale New Haven
      2/5/08

Comment

I dont have a providence, but I fell asleep in 10 minutes my first nite with my (23/7) boston brace on instead of in 2 hours! It helped a ton! And just make sure to wear loose clothing and pile lotsa pillows! Best of luck to you!
        Danielle
        14 Freshwoman
        December 1st got no head the boston brace
        Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
        In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
        In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
        We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

thanks for the encouragement! wow a lot of people have viewed this but not many people have replied! i guess not that many people have the providence. it is pretty new...

I'm bringing curvy back

Comment

She wore it loose at first and then a little tighter

Hi, My daughter is 12. She has worn a Providence brace for about 1 1/2 weeks: with out the brace T33 and L30, (With the brace T9 and L19). Her Dr. wanted to have adjustments made to the brace, so the L19 would be lower. She is having a hard time adjusting to wearing it. We went back to the orthopedic office to have the adjustments made. He was able to place some padding on the brace and cut it back a bit to allow for her shoulder blade, so it would be more comfortable. (He is very kind and patient.) My daughter has Tylenol at night 9:30 pm brace at 10:00 pm. She wore it loose at first and then a little tighter. Hang in there. My daughter's cousin wears a Boston brace. She was 9 years old at the time and now is 11. She wore the brace 16 hours at first and is now down to 12. I like the idea of only wearing it at night. So does my daughter. I think it is very brave of all of you to share your thoughts and concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by camurray63
              Hi, My daughter is 12. She has worn a Providence brace for about 1 1/2 weeks: with out the brace T33 and L30, (With the brace T9 and L19). Her Dr. wanted to have adjustments made to the brace, so the L19 would be lower. She is having a hard time adjusting to wearing it. We went back to the orthopedic office to have the adjustments made. He was able to place some padding on the brace and cut it back a bit to allow for her shoulder blade, so it would be more comfortable. (He is very kind and patient.) My daughter has Tylenol at night 9:30 pm brace at 10:00 pm. She wore it loose at first and then a little tighter. Hang in there. My daughter's cousin wears a Boston brace. She was 9 years old at the time and now is 11. She wore the brace 16 hours at first and is now down to 12. I like the idea of only wearing it at night. So does my daughter. I think it is very brave of all of you to share your thoughts and concerns.

Sometimes they have to do a few adjustments to get it right. Also, make sure that you are putting it on the exact same way the ortho people told you. A 1/4 an inch can make all the difference in comfort. Did they have her practice putting it on and taking it off in the ortho office?? That helps the child realize when it is on correctly and when it is not.

Best of luck!
              Samsmom
              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
              Fused T-4 to L-2
              Yale New Haven
              2/5/08

Comment

yea i actually already got my brace. i was having trouble falling asleep in it, but i got a memory foam mattress topper and fell asleep within 30 mins the first night with that! also i have been trying to make it a little bit tighter every night. my orthotist put little marks on the straps so i know how tight i should make it. thanks for the advice!

I'm bringing curvy back

Comment

Originally posted by samsmom
                  Sometimes they have to do a few adjustments to get it right. Also, make sure that you are putting it on the exact same way the ortho people told you. A 1/4 an inch can make all the difference in comfort. Did they have her practice putting it on and taking it off in the ortho office?? That helps the child realize when it is on correctly and when it is not.

Best of luck!

The orthopedic placed the brace higher than I had it. It still was not very comfortable, but we got a memory foam mattress and it helps.

Comment

Scolioswimmer is getting used to wearing the brace now...

Well, it takes a long time, but my daughter, scolioswimmer, is adjusting to wearing her Providence brace at night. Every week it gets a little easier. She has encouragement from one friend in particular. Her friend is taller than scolioswimmer but, with the brace scolioswimmer is taller than her friend! The last time we went to the Dr., he said that she was down to 0 percent in brace. And scolioswimmer's friend was so happy for her she said, "Oh, then it is working. You should wear your brace every night". Recently, scolioswimmer and her friend and friend's mom took a trip to Orlando, FL for an over night and scolioswimmer wore her brace both nights that she was away. Her friend encouraged her to wear the brace. I cannot tell you how important it is to have such a supportive friend.

Comment

camurray63-
                      thanks!!! now ive had the brace for almost 2 months now!!! so its my turn to offer your daughter some advice!!! tell her to just keep up the good work!!! i am proud to say i have worn my brace every night since i got my memory foam mattress topper (about a week after i got the brace)!!! in fact, i am sick today (as i was last night) and i still wore it!!! im not sure if her orthotist did the same, but mine put little marks on the straps to show how tight i can should be wearing it. now, im wearing it even tighter than the tightest mark!!!

i went back for my first post-brace appointment last month, and my curves went from 18*T and 10*L to 25*T and 12*L. however, dont let this discourage your daughter!!! there was just a lot of in-between time for me. in other words, there was about two to three months between my last measurement and when i actually got the brace and starting wearing it. please pass along my congratulations to her for being so dedicated to wearing it!!!

I'm bringing curvy back

Comment

Working...
                      X