Harrington rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrington rod

Hi, I had a harrington rod with a fusion from my hip in 1975, I was 15 years old. My problem is mainly my hip, lately its getting very painfull, it used to go away after a few days but not this time, its been 3 months, my doc has ordered me to have x-rays, and possible a MRI. Can you have a MRI with the harrington rod? Does anyone else have the same problem? thanks

YES to MRI

I too have the Harrington Rod and I have had many MRIs done. I have that pain in the hips as well and mine has been in since 1981. It's quite frustrating to say the least. Best, Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

hip pain

Hi Im Donna and I have an assortment of pains that come and go , some stay awhile some stay long. If I've learned anything it's how to manage certain levels of pain as I'm sure most of you have, either working out (exercising) or just doing nothing. I've run the gammut on treatments going from heat compress' to accupuncture with eloctrodes even medial branch nuerotomy, this is where inject the connecting branches to the surrounding areas with cortisone and or pain impairing solution. All of these things helped little if at all. I have an array of drugs to get me through if I need them but I prefer not to take them unless i;m at my wits end and need to sleep. Sometimes nothing works or helps. It can be very frustrating to say the least. It;s good just to talk about it at times to someone who understands. Thanks for the ear.

Comment

first time at forum

Hi I'm Donna and I hope I'm not repeating myself , but I've had a bit of trouble logging in and on so I'll give you a rundown on myself.(again) So I am 48 now. When I was 15 in 1976 I was in Shriners Hospital for children in Phila. PA. I was in for 6 mon. traction, operated on in Jan. of 76. I had a harrington rod placed from T2 thru L1 aprox. with bone grafts that were taken from my right rib hump and placed along the rod to fuse. I was in a risser cast for 6 mon. then a back brace for 1 yr. I have a lot of different pains that can be anywhere one day to the next. But I consider myself to be in pretty good physical shape and a pretty good outlook, so if anyone out there was in Shriners at around this time I would like to talk to you, Share where you are now.

Comment

Hi, this is my first time posting.It's comforting to connect with others who experience the same pain and challenges. I had harrington rods surgery the summer of 1979 when I was 17; fun way to spend my senior year of high school! Surgery was done at North Shore Univ in NY. I am now 46, fairly healthy but am experiencing chronic lower back pain. I'm considering accupunture. Anyone have positive results? I'm assuming the rods have been with me too long for removal but the lack of flexibility really concerns me as I grow older. I've also had total hip replacments on both right & left hips due to congential issues. I welcome your suggestions.

Comment

"I'm considering accupunture. Anyone have positive results? I'm assuming the rods have been with me too long for removal but the lack of flexibility really concerns me as I grow older."

I did the accupunture several times but for me, it didn't work. I was supposed to have my entire Harrington Rod removed in 2000, but it was so fused to my spine (surgery in 1981) that they only took out about two inches on the top, the portion that was causing the pain.

Good luck, LYNN
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Accupunture

Originally posted by Anna B View Post
              Hi, this is my first time posting.It's comforting to connect with others who experience the same pain and challenges. I had harrington rods surgery the summer of 1979 when I was 17; fun way to spend my senior year of high school! Surgery was done at North Shore Univ in NY. I am now 46, fairly healthy but am experiencing chronic lower back pain. I'm considering accupunture. Anyone have positive results? I'm assuming the rods have been with me too long for removal but the lack of flexibility really concerns me as I grow older. I've also had total hip replacments on both right & left hips due to congential issues. I welcome your suggestions.
              Hi Anna, it's Donna and yes I've had accupunture, 3 rounds of it and still no relief, although there were some pretty strange effects while undergoing this, like too much juice and my arm started to twitch like mad, and then once she put the electrodes on in the wrong sequence and shocked me thru my foot , not too painful but not pleasant either, and then it did'nt work, So I not a fan. Some people swear by it , it just wasn't for me. I'm 48 and have had this rod for 33 years. I had the surgery done in Shriners Hosp. in Jan. 1976 when I was 15. I'm new to this forum and I'm just looking for a few people to talk to about this.Try accupuncture It may help you never know til you try. Let me know how it goes.

Comment

I had the same in 1975. I have had an MRI. However, it was not for the area around my rod. When they got to that area, the rod caused distortion. The pain in the hip could either be from pressure on the nerve caused by your fusion or arthritis in you hip from where they took the bone from your fusion. If the pain goes down the back of your leg, it is probably nerve pain.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Curious to know if any of your doctors have used the words: "flatback syndrome". My paid started getting worse last year in my neck, had several MRI's, went to several doctors, but it was a PT that told me that my neckpain was a result of the surgery. I looked up flatback syndrom on the innernet and was surprised that it described my problems to a "T". Now, I have to decide if I would go through revision surgery. I want to hold off as long as possible, but the pain medication is helping less and less. I feel as long as I can function and tolerate the pain - with meds, I am going to put off any surgery. I have only gone to my GP, have not seen a spinal doctor in years. I had a very severe curve, do not remember the degrees. I had two rods put in, stretched 4 inches in the "halo" and spent my senior year in the Milwalkee brace. If anyone has been diagnosed with the flatback syndrome, please let me know and what and how you are doing. Thanks

Comment

Hi Joanne...

There is a Yahoogroups list for people with flatback. You'll find it here:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised/

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                    X