Rolfing HURT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolfing HURT!!!

So I was told it would be uncomfortable but that it should not hurt... well I believe I have a very high pain tolerance and it killed. I was still sore/felt bruised 3 days later. Is this normal? Should I look for a different rolfer? Right now I do not think I will be going back an hour and a half of that much pain and 3 days of extra pain because of the bruising feeling are not worth it to me... I didn't feel any alleviation in pain whatsoever.

Please let me know what I should feel with this...

Thanks for the advice/help,

trcylynn

I've never been rolfed, but my 13yo daughter goes. I sit in with her and she's never complained that it hurts during or after treatments. I don't know if its normal to feel sore afterwards or not. I do know that our rolfer tells my daughter that it should never hurt when shes treating her and if it does to let her know. She said if it hurts it only causes the muscle to tighten up more and thats not what you want, that would be defeating the purpose. She also suggests that she take epson salt baths after each treatment to help her relax, maybe this will help your sore muscles...HTH!
    --Tina

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your bad rolfing experience.

Our daughter has had several rolfing treatments over the past few months and it never ever hurts. If something Miranda does hurts she stops right away. Esme is not sore or bruised afterwards.

It is not supposed to hurt but I have heard some rolfers are too heavy handed. I wouldn't give up on rolfing just try to find someone else who knows how to do it properly........ Good luck.

Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and it upsets me as well. You should not being having that type of experience with Rolfing... Bruising and excessive pain is not part of the experience. It means that your practitioner is working too fast and hard and not allowing for the physiologic response of the fascia to occur, but rather forcing it. Fascia has certain specific viscoelastic physiologic properties... If a practitioner doesn't acknowledge/understand/or respect these properties the work will be as you experienced it.

Please don't let this negative experience turn you off of this option. Find a practitioner who is more capable/skilled/knowledgeable about what they are doing. Excessive force is always a sign of a lack of skill and precision on the practitioners part. The more skilled the practitioner, the less 'force' is needed to promote change in the tissue.

I've sometimes offered to refer people here to practitioners in their area for this very reason... Sometimes even 'experienced' practitioners doesn't equate to 'competent' practitioners... Find someone who knows what they are doing... . Doing the wrong thing or doing something poorly for 15, 20 or 30 years doesn't make someone more qualified than someone doing things properly and effectively for 5 years. Experience is all relative.

Keep in mind that it's not the profession that is at fault here, but the individual practicing it. You'll find this type of scenario in any medical/health care profession. Just as there are doctors who believe that scoliosis doesn't cause pain for some, or that bracing is completely ineffective, or that the "wait and watch" approach is going to present a miraculous reversal or change of progression... Incompetency permeates every discipline... .

I'm happy to give a referral if you'd like to continue on this path.

Kind Regards,
        Structural

Comment

Originally posted by trcylynn
          So I was told it would be uncomfortable but that it should not hurt... well I believe I have a very high pain tolerance and it killed. I was still sore/felt bruised 3 days later. Is this normal?
          trcylynn,

The times I've had it done I was only *slightly* sore afterwards - and it was more like a "good workout" kind of sore from the combination of passive/active stretching. I did get some short lived relief from the scoli pain (a day or two).

I wouldn't give up on it before trying someone else (who's actually trained and qualified) ... some people get fairly significant pain relief from treatments.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X