My back still hurts after sneezing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My back still hurts after sneezing...

Does anyone else feel like pain in there back after having a BIG sneeze.
    I'm 8 months post op and whenever i sneeze my top part of my back/spine hurts for like a day its so painful, feels like i've pulled something while i've had a sneeze..... Not sure if this sounds silly!!!!

I'm getting pains near the top part of my spine not sure what's going on.... Maybe the numbness is starting to fade away, cos it feels like i can feel the rods a bit. Hopefully its nothing and its just new pains from recovering as they do say you feel good for so many months then all of a sudden new pain/feelings start to happen!!!!

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Interestingly, my body would not let me sneeze for at least 3 months after surgery - and normally I'm a sneezer, with seasonal allergies. Even when I got a cold at about 4 months post-op, I hardly sneezed at all. It's like my body knows it can't handle it....

Anyway, I think your sensations are perfectly normal at this stage.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer
      Interestingly, my body would not let me sneeze for at least 3 months after surgery - and normally I'm a sneezer, with seasonal allergies.
      Funny this was posted this morning ... I occasionally go on jags of sneezing (like 8-10 times over a few minutes), and I had one earlier ;-).

Singer, I HOPE my body will "just say no" as well!

I know when I've cracked ribs - and after breast augmentation under the muscle (talk about OWIE!) - I have sneezed, and it helped to hug a pillow when doing so. Still very painful, but at least it gave *some* support.

Think this trick might work after back surgery? And, yeah ... I realize it would be tough to carry a pillow around at 8 months post op - LOL ... just wondering about the shorter term post op.

Regards,
      Pam
      Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-21-2008, 07:05 AM.
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

I am 11 months post op and just recently it stopped hurting when I sneezed. In the first few months after surgery it hurt so bad to sneeze, when I felt a sneeze coming on I had to stop what I was doing and hold on to something. I tried to suppress it but that didn't help, still hurt. You are also going to feel a lot of different pains. I was coming along okay feeling that I was getting better and then I had two eposides of bad pain around 6 and 7 months post op, both time I was sure I broke something. I went to my surgeon twice to have x-rays, thank goodness everything was fine.

Sue

Comment

Hi Lee,

I'm right behind you as far as post-op goes, and my upper back still hurts when I sneeze. My body also would not let me sneeze for the first three months or so because it hurt so badly. As far as the pain in your upper back, can you feel any of your screws. One of mine is protruding and that causes me the most pain, but I know that I'm not doing any serious damage when I strain it or move the wrong way, etc.

Hope all is well,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

achooo!

I'm approaching 9 months now, but it still makes me cringe when I sneeze... but the pain is just immediate and doesn't bother anything after about a minute (or less). I didn't sneeze for a long time either. The Lord is good!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I have not sneezed since my first surgery in 2004! I had better knock on wood for what I'm about to say. I actually haven't been sick with sinus problems or allergies or any coughing or sneezing. It's always at the back of my mind what will happen when I sneeze or have a bad cough.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa -- you haven't sneezed since 2004?!?

That's astounding!! I thought I was setting some kind of record by not sneezing for four months!!
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Interesting post....!
                  wow- Theresa, 2004 was when you last sneezed, amazing!
                  I had surgery Aug. 2006 & just now have my first really 'heavy' cold and when I cough it bothers my front incision area(left stomach area). I did'nt have any coughs or colds until now at a year &1/2 after.
                  I had coughed so much prior to surgery when I had digestion problems & such & it's been so long since then! & of course that was due to my organs/stomach being squeezed due to my severe curve....

LeeLee: I think sneezing/coughing may bother you a bit longer as I still am aware of it being a bit uncomfortable & yet mine is more the stomach area....Lynne
                  Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 01-23-2008, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X